The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2018, 04:23:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119364 Posts in 5717 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Wijk bij Duurstede, the Netherlands
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wijk bij Duurstede, the Netherlands  (Read 62 times)
Dutch Rosie

« on: July 23, 2018, 08:05:41 am »

Just got home from a long weekend away at Wijk bij Duurstede. What a fantastic and romantic weekend we had!

The old city is lovely, and the medieval castle is stunning. I´ll stick a few photos up later .when I get my bag sorted out.

To those of you who regularly visit the Netherlands. this should be on your list, just half an hour by bus from Utrecht station.

We also went to Doorn, to see the stately home where the last German kaiser spent his life after being exiled and admitted to the Netherlands as a political asylum seeker. He bought this estate for half a million guilders, so about as much as a normal family home would cost today.  The house is in the same state it was when he died and is now the property of the Netherlands. Stunning interior, but we were not allowed upstairs because of the heat and the fact that some guests fainted there last week.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 12:40:31 am »

I live beside his last german palace...

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 05:06:45 am »

Yes, I know that YM, and a most splendid palace it is. He must have been gutted to have to move to a "little place" like Doorn, especially since he was prohibited from travelling outside a 25 kilometer area. His remains are still in the little chapel at Doorn. He wanted to be buried in Germany but they refused to have his corpse.

I believe he had many palaces, some with 200 or even 300 rooms.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 03:41:29 am »

Yes, I know that YM, and a most splendid palace it is. He must have been gutted to have to move to a "little place" like Doorn, especially since he was prohibited from travelling outside a 25 kilometer area. His remains are still in the little chapel at Doorn. He wanted to be buried in Germany but they refused to have his corpse.

I believe he had many palaces, some with 200 or even 300 rooms.

Cecilienhof is a weird one, its like a ship inside some rooms and is more famous for what occurred there than the Kaiser.

Me local is behind it on the Jungfernsee.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: