The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 16, 2018, 11:42:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119302 Posts in 5709 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  One less tooth in the old skull
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: One less tooth in the old skull  (Read 56 times)
vladimir

« on: July 10, 2018, 10:03:25 am »

...no, that's not a political metaphor.  I had my 9th tooth yanked out yesterday.  I REALLY hate that process.  No matter how much they shoot you up, you're never 100% numb.  Technically, this is only my 5th regular tooth that had to go, but I also had all 4 wisdom teeth yanked.  If I hadn't missed so much work yesterday getting the damned thing pulled I would have called in sick today.  I feel like crap

( ?° ?? ?°)
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:18:01 am »

Vlad, I am dentist phobic too. I am no longer afraid of extractions though, since my dentist  is great with people like me. He makes me wait  quite a while after getting the painkiller, so that it fully works. BTW, I get special childrens' painkiller injections, works great and doesn't hurt at all.

My problem is that my jaws are shrinking due to the medicine I have to take for a bone disease. This makes your teeth loose. I just had one removed, completely healthy but too loose to survive.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 10:20:56 am »

The wife had root canal surgery on what we think was a perfectly ok tooth. The pain may have came from her sinus.

It was her first ever dental work  Shocked

My dentist when I was a child was a butcher.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
vladimir

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 10:31:05 am »

I had a root canal on this particular tooth years ago.  I thought with the nerve gone, I'd never feel pain in that tooth again.

About two years ago I got  sharp shooting pain in that tooth that felt like getting shot in the face out of nowhere.  Turns out, a tiny little air-bubble had been left behind.  All those years bacteria had been multiplying in that pocket.  The pain was from the surrounding nerves in my skull once the bacteria bubble had grown to the point of causing everything else to expand.  So I had the root-canal "retreated." 

Over the weekend, the pain came rushing back.  It would appear the re-treatment didn't take.  Given the option to go through another procedure (that might result in horrifying pain coming back in a year or so) or just having the damned thing yanked I opted for removal.

I'd rather have zero teeth for the rest of my life than go through that again.

( ?° ?? ?°)
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 11:32:49 am »

Yeah, an abscess is the worst pain ever. I've had 3.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 02:27:08 pm »

I'd rather have zero teeth for the rest of my life than go through that again.

This was the norm. Both my and my wifes granny both had all their teeth removed at 21..

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 03:34:29 pm »

This was the norm. Both my and my wifes granny both had all their teeth removed at 21..

That was the norm in the Netherlands until recent years for young women from the working class. They just didn't want to piss about with dentists so asked for and got all their teeth pulled out and then transferred to false teeth. Barbaric. No dentist would do that today.
vladimir

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 08:25:47 am »

Because this is America and nothing is free... even with some of the best insurance you can get (I work for a company that is very invested in the health of Americans... I probably have the best medical and dental coverage you can get) I've spent tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket on my damned mouth.  $8,000 for a bridge here, $3,000 for a crown there.... even with most of it covered, insurance will only pay so much per year.

I almost wish I'd had the whole lot yanked 30 years ago and just had fake ones in now.  If not for the money then just for the pain.

( ?° ?? ?°)
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 09:03:17 am »

Because this is America and nothing is free... even with some of the best insurance you can get (I work for a company that is very invested in the health of Americans... I probably have the best medical and dental coverage you can get) I've spent tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket on my damned mouth.  $8,000 for a bridge here, $3,000 for a crown there.... even with most of it covered, insurance will only pay so much per year.

I almost wish I'd had the whole lot yanked 30 years ago and just had fake ones in now.  If not for the money then just for the pain.

My mothers friend is now a loaded sherman. She goes to Bulgaria for dental work. Saves a fortune.

Poland is very popular also..

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 09:14:40 am »

Bulgaria?! Hell's bells, I remember being there on holiday once and the people I made friends with had a dental accident and had to go to the dentist: a huge hall with a row of dentists, each standing in front of a bucket full of blood and teeth. Hahaha, they ran for their lives!
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 09:16:30 am »

My mothers friend is now a loaded sherman. She goes to Bulgaria for dental work. Saves a fortune.

Poland is very popular also..

Maybe she should try the Netherlands. Our dentists are quite reasonable and a lot cheaper than the UK.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: