The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 16, 2018, 11:37:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119302 Posts in 5709 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Cultural Appropriation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cultural Appropriation  (Read 140 times)
Myky D

« on: June 22, 2018, 04:34:29 am »

Other than trustafarians being mildly irritating, what's the problem?
drippinhun

The good old U.S. - living in a kakistocracy

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 07:01:09 pm »

I absolutely despise when I hear people accuse someone of liking or recreating something they like. WTF do they think they are?

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds the criticsms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." Herman Melville.

Trump drains swamp and installs open-air septic tank.
Myky D

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 06:09:32 am »

Everything is cultural appropriation. Everything.
vanceen

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 08:27:44 am »

I would like to reply, but I find that the English language is too full of words appropriated from other cultures for me to be able to form sentences without being guilty of cultural appropriation.
Myky D

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 09:12:58 am »

Well, quite. I might go and listen to some reggae to chill out to.

Oop.

Opera.

Ah.

Rock music?

Hm.

Morris dancing, then?

Nope.

Oh dear.
Red Herring

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 05:07:15 am »

Other than trustafarians being mildly irritating, what's the problem?

There isn't a problem - and I find the notion that there is a problem utterly perplexing. I've tried very hard to get my head around it because it seems to be a genuine concern for some people, but I just don't get it.

It can be insulting if done badly, especially if it is playing to stereotypes. For example, an Englishman deciding to wear a kilt because he's in Edinburgh, an American drinking tea because he's in England, a hippie wearing a fez because he's in Fez etc.  etc. Though I'm not sure that's cultural appropriation or just cringe-worthy tourism.

But most cultures incorporate bits from other cultures. No culture can be vacuum packed and preserved in aspic forever and a day - it will always be modified, borrowed from, added to, etc. etc. I find the notion that 'black culture' should (or can) be preserved and protected every bit as misguided and in some ways objectionable as the idea that 'English culture' should (or can) be.

Red
Myky D

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 05:55:38 am »

The word 'culture' is notoriously difficult to define.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 12:47:01 pm »

Well I hate the way things like Prom and Halloween have been appropriated. What the hell was wrong with an ordinary school party, instead of having kids dress up like ladies and gentlemen only to act like drunken barbarians at the prom? And Halloween and trick and treating, WTF?

Both require of course spending money and acquiring fancy costumes,  whereas the old school parties didn't, and Halloween in our Scottish family meant haviing an apple party for ourselves and the neighbours' kids, dooking for apples in a baby bathtub, great fun for small minds, and dead cheap.

I'm all for the old Dutch customs, like St Martin's night, when kids make beautiful paper lanterns and show them at your door, singing the St Martin's song and being given a few sweets as a reward. Or our beloved St, Nicolas night (5th December) which is great fun for the kids and amusing for their parents. So far Father Christmas has made no headway here, and long may it remain so.
Myky D

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 04:16:32 pm »

I too find change frightening.
Biss

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 03:11:13 pm »

I am Outraged when I see English or Chinese or Kenyans wearing blue jeans. Who does these people think they are?

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 01:02:57 pm »

I am Outraged when I see English or Chinese or Kenyans wearing blue jeans. Who does these people think they are?

And how dare people steal math ?

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Myky D

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 05:38:10 pm »

* maths

We're not bloody savages.
vladimir

« Reply #12 on: Today at 07:53:48 am »

And Halloween and trick and treating, WTF?

I hear that's pretty crazy across the pond.  When I was a kid, it was so different.  The streets were packed with kids. EVERYBODY had candy.  Some people actually made little cardboard haunted houses in their front yards you had to walk through to get to the door.  The happiest of holidays for a kid.  Second only to Christmas itself.

It's fading here in America though.  I think I had 7 or 8 kids come to the door the whole day last year.  That and three teenagers who weren't even wearing costumes.  Makes me feel so bad for my kids.  They missed out on one of the biggest parts of childhood in my opinion.

( ?° ?? ?°)
Myky D

« Reply #13 on: Today at 10:51:06 am »

The thing that pisses me off about Sherman Hallowe'en is the infatilisation of horror tropes - goofy, friendly, child-safe vampires, Frankenstein's monsters,  Egyptian mummies, zombies. Ffs.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: