The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 16, 2018, 11:40:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119302 Posts in 5709 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  The ethics of a meta selfie
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The ethics of a meta selfie  (Read 138 times)
Red Herring

« on: June 05, 2018, 06:06:22 am »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44356361

When a Canadian woman was hit by a train and badly injured in northern Italy, rescue services quickly went to her aid on the tracks.

But as they treated the victim a young man captured the scene from the station platform in a selfie that has provoked widespread anger.

He was himself pictured by a news photographer who complained "we have completely lost a sense of ethics".

Cheesy

I assume the news photographer was referring to the man he pictured, and not to himself - but it could be either.

If someone had taken a selfie of themselves standing in front of the news photographer taking a picture of the guy taking a selfie would this 'meta-selfie' have been equally obnoxious? Or a thought provoking comment on today's society?

Red

vladimir

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 07:51:03 am »

( ?° ?? ?°)
Rasta

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 09:47:12 am »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44356361

When a Canadian woman was hit by a train and badly injured in northern Italy, rescue services quickly went to her aid on the tracks.

But as they treated the victim a young man captured the scene from the station platform in a selfie that has provoked widespread anger.

He was himself pictured by a news photographer who complained "we have completely lost a sense of ethics".

Cheesy

I assume the news photographer was referring to the man he pictured, and not to himself - but it could be either.

If someone had taken a selfie of themselves standing in front of the news photographer taking a picture of the guy taking a selfie would this 'meta-selfie' have been equally obnoxious? Or a thought provoking comment on today's society?

Red

Excellent story.

So, I guess the big question is if the bad part of this is wanting to put yourself in said image. Obviously, news photographers take pictures of unfortunate things all the time - that, in an of itself is an ethics discussion. About a month ago, I was driving down the street and saw this dude on the very top rung of a ladder which was placed on top of his angled roof, reaching out with an ~ 14 foot extension saw, reaching as far as he could to trim some overhanging branches. Obviously, I had to drive around the block and park in a position, so I could get my phone out and film the inevitable. How could I not? Didn't happen, though.

Selfies are weird. I love to watch people taking them. I sat across the aisle on a plane from a young woman that took a couple of dozen while we were waiting to take-off, obviously trying to get just the right pouty, slightly sexy, grin to post. The plane was packed, but she couldn't care less. On the rare occasion that I take them, I wait for the crowd to thin, then look around like I"m getting ready to hit a crack pipe.

You gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get into that boy's soul
Myky D

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 03:05:04 am »

Yeah - the angle of mockery Red has taken is incorrect - the guy taking the selfie is wrong, the news photographer right. One is attempting to aid humanity's understanding of itself, the other engaging in simple narcissism at the direct expense of others.
Red Herring

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 04:13:18 am »

On the rare occasion that I take them, I wait for the crowd to thin, then look around like I"m getting ready to hit a crack pipe.

Cheesy

Likewise, though usually when I take selfies it's when I'm with the missis and we're too shy to ask anybody else to take a picture.

Red
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 04:13:35 am »

Yeah, what Myky says.
Myky D

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 04:57:56 am »

I miss the days of film cameras, and tourists handing me their cameras and sking me to take their picture, because I would willingly do so, ensuring that I cut off their heads from the top of the frame.
Rasta

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 04:00:16 pm »

Yeah - the angle of mockery Red has taken is incorrect - the guy taking the selfie is wrong, the news photographer right. One is attempting to aid humanity's understanding of itself, the other engaging in simple narcissism at the direct expense of others.

Spot on about the selfie-taker, but I think you're giving far too much credit to the news photographer.

He's just getting paid. He was hoping to get a money shot of a woman that got wonked by a train and was fortunate enough to catch a prick getting a selfie in the shot.

The only question that we have to figure out about humanity's understanding itself from this story is which is cooler, narcissism or capitalism? And of course, by posting on his Facebook page, the news photographer gets some bonus points for narcissism as well.

You gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get into that boy's soul
Red Herring

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 04:19:04 am »

Spot on about the selfie-taker, but I think you're giving far too much credit to the news photographer.

He's just getting paid. He was hoping to get a money shot of a woman that got wonked by a train and was fortunate enough to catch a prick getting a selfie in the shot.

The only question that we have to figure out about humanity's understanding itself from this story is which is cooler, narcissism or capitalism? And of course, by posting on his Facebook page, the news photographer gets some bonus points for narcissism as well.

What about the hypothetical I suggested in the OP?

Someone who takes a selfie, with the news photographer in the background taking a picture of the guy taking a selfie in front of the woman hit by the train?

After that there's the news photographer who takes a picture of the guy who takes a selfie, with the original news photographer in the background taking a picture of the guy taking a selfie in front of the woman hit by the train ....

Red
Myky D

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 12:06:21 pm »

All simply multiples of the above.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: