The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 16, 2018, 11:37:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119302 Posts in 5709 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Public suicide
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Public suicide  (Read 233 times)
vladimir

« on: May 30, 2018, 08:33:45 am »

Just WTF?  Getting my morning coffee, the street on the west side of my building is closed off.  Police tape everywhere.  Across the street is this building:

...and in the street in front, covered in a tarp is what would appear to be 'a jumper.'  I've way too many suicides since moving to Chicago.  This is the second from Marina Towers.  There were three that jumped in front of the train I ride home (though one of those may have been dementia and not intentional suicide.)  Trains are a popular form of suicide out here from what I've been told.  The thing is, it's really hard on the drivers.  A lot of misplaced guilt goes along with smearing a human across steel tracks.  Whether it was their own idea or not.

I understand depression.  I get that sometimes continuing to plod through a meaningless life seems pointless... but crap! Find a private way to take care of it.

( ?° ?? ?°)
Myky D

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 08:49:43 am »

I agree - they always seem to choose Rush Hour to do it - kike they want the attention. Or maybe it's because that's when the train is heaviest and the momentum greatest, I dunno.

When I do it it will be a teain or heroin. But not jumping - no way. Too scary.
vladimir

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 09:11:23 am »

I'm looking at the Towers right now.  I don't know which floor they jumped from... but all I could think is there's WAAAAAY too much time to think on the way down.

"Hmmmmm.... did I make the right decision?"

( ?° ?? ?°)
vladimir

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 10:21:48 am »

Been three hours now and they still haven't moved the body.  Just opened up the street and parked a couple of cop cars around the corpse.

( ?° ?? ?°)
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 11:19:31 am »

There are around 200 train suicides per year in the Netherlands, mostly psychiatric patients who are suicidal but can't be helped to die since they are not covered by the euthanasia laws. I wish they would get this business set up, so that they can be helped to die with dignity.

I guess if you are that depressed, you are not interested in how many people you upset by jumping off a building or in front of a train.
TGK

Sex, Drugs and Sausage rolls.

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 04:54:58 am »

I know this is going to sound callous.

But if you want to throw a six, then do so in your own bath with a bottle of vodka, some pills and a blade.

DO NOT, throw yourself in front of a train on a Friday rush hour, when everyone just wants to get home.

It makes my milk of human kindness and understanding run dry.
vladimir

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 09:46:50 am »

I think the worst one I witnessed was rush hour at the platform itself.  I have no sympathy at all for someone, regardless of what may have happened to them or their life, who intentionally splatters themselves in a horrorshow of gore in front of a crowd that includes small children waiting to greet their parents as they come home from work.

( ?° ?? ?°)
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 11:28:01 am »

But if you want to throw a six, then do so in your own bath with a bottle of vodka, some pills and a blade.

DO NOT, throw yourself in front of a train on a Friday rush hour, when everyone just wants to get home.

I was thinking of getting a gun, you may have just changed my mind..

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Myky D

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 11:50:57 am »

I think the worst one I witnessed was rush hour at the platform itself.  I have no sympathy at all for someone, regardless of what may have happened to them or their life, who intentionally splatters themselves in a horrorshow of gore in front of a crowd that includes small children waiting to greet their parents as they come home from work.

Yeaaahhhhhh ... see ... this is one of the real selling points of the method, for me.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 11:54:27 am »

And i do have sympathy for them, just because it shows how badly they were suffering.

People said the same thing about a pupil of mine, who hanged himself in his bedroom and was found by his poor, devoted mother, her only child.

I think some people are just hard wired for suicide.

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 02:20:27 pm »

Good god, alcohol and pills, so a vomiting party, no thanks.
Myky D

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 06:37:07 pm »

Actually whisky,  a bath and a blade sounds pretty good.
Rasta

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 10:51:52 am »

There are around 200 train suicides per year in the Netherlands, mostly psychiatric patients who are suicidal but can't be helped to die since they are not covered by the euthanasia laws. I wish they would get this business set up, so that they can be helped to die with dignity.

I guess if you are that depressed, you are not interested in how many people you upset by jumping off a building or in front of a train.

Hi Rosie,

This is a tough one for me. I'm certainly a "it's your life to live or die" kind of guy. But this bit has a different angle for me. Most instances of euthanasia are an option for people with terminal, non-treatable illnesses. By all means, they should have that option. I'd certainly do it. But suicidality as a result of depression is a bit different. It's a fatal effect of depression. Depression is highly treatable. Treat the depression, cure the need to die with dignity. I'd guess that most folks with terminal illnesses would jump at that chance.

You gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get into that boy's soul
Rasta

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 10:57:40 am »

At the risk of being labeled an asshole (or has that ship sailed), I have to say I've always admired suicide bombers. If you're going to kill yourself, it seems more than reasonable to take out as many people as you hate with you. Mind you, I don't abide the killing of innocents, as they often do. But if you were going to kill yourself and had the opportunity that have all the kinds of people that you despise - the people that you truly believe are an evil force in humanity, people that you see as the root of so much suffering in the world - all gathered in a concentrated area.....come on, you would. Right?

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 11:04:59 am »

Hi Rosie,

This is a tough one for me. I'm certainly a "it's your life to live or die" kind of guy. But this bit has a different angle for me. Most instances of euthanasia are an option for people with terminal, non-treatable illnesses. By all means, they should have that option. I'd certainly do it. But suicidality as a result of depression is a bit different. It's a fatal effect of depression. Depression is highly treatable. Treat the depression, cure the need to die with dignity. I'd guess that most folks with terminal illnesses would jump at that chance.

Who says that is the correct definition of euthanasia? Perhaps it is in your country, but it isn't in mine. Here you do not need to be terminally ill, just to be untreatable and suffering, and it is the patient who decides what is intolerable suffering.

There have been calls for years now for extending the Dutch euthanasia law to psychiatric patients: depression is not always treatable and those who have been asking for euthanasia have been depressed o worn out by the voices in their ears for s decade or more, and are considered untreatable by their doctors. Ask any psychiatrist if depression is always treatable.
Rasta

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 11:18:34 am »

Who says that is the correct definition of euthanasia? Perhaps it is in your country, but it isn't in mine. Here you do not need to be terminally ill, just to be untreatable and suffering, and it is the patient who decides what is intolerable suffering.

There have been calls for years now for extending the Dutch euthanasia law to psychiatric patients: depression is not always treatable and those who have been asking for euthanasia have been depressed o worn out by the voices in their ears for s decade or more, and are considered untreatable by their doctors. Ask any psychiatrist if depression is always treatable.

I didn't say "always", I said "highly".

I worked in mental health for years. My wife has been a therapist for 30 years and is the director of a mental health agency. My uncle is a psychiatrist. I've, literally, worked with dozens of psychiatrists. Depression is highly treatable and suicide is an end effect of depression.

Psychosis is a different animal. It's a horrific illness and the treatments are often worse than the illness. Oddly though, of the dozens of people that I've known that have killed themselves, I can think of two that did so suffered from schizophrenia - and both had a history of voices that told them to harm themselves. The weren't rational, well-thought out choices to end their suffering.

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 12:34:54 pm »

"I didn't say "always", I said "highly".

So because some patients are highly receptive to anti-depressants, no chronically depressed/psychotic patient should be allowed euthanasia.

That doesn't sound very logical to me.
mikado

a Nineteenth Century pseudo-Oriental nightmare

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 12:37:34 pm »

At the risk of being labeled an asshole (or has that ship sailed)

Grin

most folks with terminal illnesses would jump at that chance

Unfortunate turn of phrase mate.

No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts
vladimir

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 08:05:53 am »

Been quite a week for suicides.  Kate Spade the other day (though I have to say, until she killed herself I didn't know who she was.) Then this morning I see Anthony Bourdain killed himself.  I'm not really a cooking show kind of guy, but my wife liked his show and I have to admit, I'd catch myself watching it when it came on.  I enjoyed his sense of humor.

They both seemed like they had no reason to do it.  Successful, popular... relatively young.  The human brain is a fascinating thing.  I guess you truly never know what's really going on in someone's head.

( ?° ?? ?°)
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 12:39:01 pm »

Been quite a week for suicides.  Kate Spade the other day (though I have to say, until she killed herself I didn't know who she was.) Then this morning I see Anthony Bourdain killed himself.  I'm not really a cooking show kind of guy, but my wife liked his show and I have to admit, I'd catch myself watching it when it came on.  I enjoyed his sense of humor.

They both seemed like they had no reason to do it.  Successful, popular... relatively young.  The human brain is a fascinating thing.  I guess you truly never know what's really going on in someone's head.

Tis a thing the brain. You only really know the facade of your nearest and dearest, nevermind the great unwashed.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
drippinhun

The good old U.S. - living in a kakistocracy

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 05:15:54 pm »

At the risk of being labeled an asshole (or has that ship sailed), I have to say I've always admired suicide bombers. If you're going to kill yourself, it seems more than reasonable to take out as many people as you hate with you. Mind you, I don't abide the killing of innocents, as they often do. But if you were going to kill yourself and had the opportunity that have all the kinds of people that you despise - the people that you truly believe are an evil force in humanity, people that you see as the root of so much suffering in the world - all gathered in a concentrated area.....come on, you would. Right?

If you're going to kill yourself, get as close as possible to Trump.

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds the criticsms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." Herman Melville.

Trump drains swamp and installs open-air septic tank.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: