The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 16, 2018, 11:38:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119302 Posts in 5709 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Using old technology
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Using old technology  (Read 284 times)
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2018, 04:06:02 pm »

Mp3 doesn't deny you that.

Ffs i have mp4, and vinyl, cd, tape and vhs  Cool

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Mr Angry

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2018, 02:29:08 am »

Mp3 doesn't deny you that.
It does make it more of a faff though.  Listening to Tommy, or The Wall, or WotW, in alphabetical order makes no bloody sense at all, and I get fed up farting about with playlists and stuff, so on goes the vinyl / CD.  Maybe there's an easy way but I still remember the compact cassette as a major breakthrough.  Technology is leaving me behind a bit, to my shame.

Don't believe everything you think.
Myky D

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2018, 03:17:54 am »

But I don't understand why. Why are you keeping the old technology when it is inefficient?
Myky D

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2018, 03:19:09 am »

It does make it more of a faff though.  Listening to Tommy, or The Wall, or WotW, in alphabetical order makes no bloody sense at all, and I get fed up farting about with playlists and stuff, so on goes the vinyl / CD.  Maybe there's an easy way but I still remember the compact cassette as a major breakthrough.  Technology is leaving me behind a bit, to my shame.

You don't need to listen to it un alphabetical order! There should be an easily-accessible "Random" button or command.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2018, 12:32:52 pm »

But I don't understand why. Why are you keeping the old technology when it is inefficient?

Just playing the shit directly is more efficient than wasting thousands of hours converting it...

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Mr Angry

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2018, 01:07:40 pm »

You don't need to listen to it un alphabetical order! There should be an easily-accessible "Random" button or command.
Random doesn't cut it either.  These are what used to be called concept albums.  They tell a story.  You can't listen to Outside The Wall before The Happiest Days Of Our Lives, it wouldn't make sense. Likewise Brave New World bofore The Eve Of War.  Madness.  They must be heard in their correct order.  You wouldn't watch Act 3 before Act 1.

Myky D

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2018, 03:12:54 pm »

Random doesn't cut it either.  These are what used to be called concept albums.  They tell a story.  You can't listen to Outside The Wall before The Happiest Days Of Our Lives, it wouldn't make sense. Likewise Brave New World bofore The Eve Of War.  Madness.  They must be heard in their correct order.  You wouldn't watch Act 3 before Act 1.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that that's covered too.
Myky D

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2018, 03:13:51 pm »

Just playing the shit directly is more efficient than wasting thousands of hours converting it...

It's not, though, if you're going to listen to the songs more than twice.
Mr Angry

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2018, 10:20:42 am »

Yeah I'm pretty sure that that's covered too.
The only way I have found to play tracks in the correct order, as intended by the artist, is to create a playlist and even then some players then decide alphabetical order is best.  Frankly it's just easier to wind up the gramophone.  If someone can recommend a player that will just play tracks in track order (Ubuntu and/or Android, ideally) then I'm mostly ears.

Myky D

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2018, 11:39:33 am »

The only way I have found to play tracks in the correct order, as intended by the artist, is to create a playlist and even then some players then decide alphabetical order is best.  Frankly it's just easier to wind up the gramophone.  If someone can recommend a player that will just play tracks in track order (Ubuntu and/or Android, ideally) then I'm mostly ears.
I'm not quite sure where the joy would be in doing such, but I reckon "Alexa play Self Titled by A Flock of Seagulls" should pretty well cover it.

Unless, of course, you have a shit taste in music, in which case you're no better than a dog and should be shot, but that's what the technology is there to establish.

Prick.

I can't tell you how angry I am now.

Fuck.

Fuck's sake.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2018, 03:10:31 pm »

Or simply stick on some vinyl as nature intended..

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2018, 03:13:26 pm »

It's not, though, if you're going to listen to the songs more than twice.

Itunes was the reason i went retro.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Myky D

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2018, 04:31:16 pm »

Itunes was the reason i went retro.

That's my favourite Coldplay album.
vanceen

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2018, 09:41:05 pm »

Lots of players will play tracks in track order. My Pioneer wave player will do it. Windows Media Player will do it. The wave player in my car will do it.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2018, 07:04:18 am »

Lots of players will play tracks in track order. My Pioneer wave player will do it. Windows Media Player will do it. The wave player in my car will do it.

The mighty SONOS can, and I can listen to mexican radio on it if I choose

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Myky D

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2018, 08:06:43 am »

"Alexa - play Chupacapra FM"
vladimir

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2018, 08:20:17 am »

The mighty SONOS can, and I can listen to mexican radio on it if I choose

One of my all time favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCEexG9xjw

Loved those guys

( ?° ?? ?°)
Rasta

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2018, 11:06:01 am »

We had a couple hundred VHS tapes. We have probably 70-80 Disney VHS tapes.When the kids were younger, they'd use them as building blocks to make structures, castles, etc. They could grab one, pop it in and watch a flick.

On the flip side, we've had an epic DVD collection, 95% of which has been rendered useless because of scratches.

You gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get into that boy's soul
Rasta

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2018, 11:06:46 am »

One of my all time favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCEexG9xjw

Loved those guys

Ah, one of those that makes me feel like a young man again.

You gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get into that boy's soul
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: