The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 16, 2018, 11:32:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119302 Posts in 5709 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Using old technology
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Using old technology  (Read 283 times)
Myky D

« on: May 25, 2018, 02:28:57 am »

I don't understand why people use old technology. Being interested in it; in the mechanics, yes, but not to produce things.

My mate likes battleships and war. He collects gramophones, and has some really nice ones, one of which was used as a novelty for my birthday. But it was a novelty only. He likes taking them apart and making them work again, which is fair enough, but they're no longer useful as devices by which to portray your favourite music - MP3s are here. Vinyl isn't as good.

I am a keen photographer. I like few things better than producing what I think to be a good image. I shoot on digital, and adjust and correct using Photoshop. I could learn dark room techniques, but frankly can't be arsed - it's the image that I'm after - which I do in the most efficient way I can.

Likewise theatre vs cinema - why would you go to the theatre, where they can forget their lines and do things wrong, when a film has been edited to cut out the mess?

That last raises the interesting - and legally probably quite thorny, not to mention morally - question of using people's likenesses after they've died. We can do it now, so we don't need any more actors.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 03:19:45 am »

Theatre and film are two very different things.
Myky D

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 03:51:23 am »

Theatre and film are two very different things.

Are they, though?

They're two different media, but for the delivery of the same product.

Approaches to the third wall is the only real difference.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 04:32:28 am »

Well for one thing, actors in theatre are properly trained and know how to use their voices. They do not get jobs because they are beautiful or handsome.

Furthermore, plays are of course different from movie plots, restricted to one stage, with no driving around in cars etc.
Myky D

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 05:34:09 am »

Well for one thing, actors in theatre are properly trained and know how to use their voices. They do not get jobs because they are beautiful or handsome.

Furthermore, plays are of course different from movie plots, restricted to one stage, with no driving around in cars etc.

Exactly - plays are far less efficient at displaying a story. So films are actively better than plays.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 05:45:18 am »

Plays are written for the stage. Things can go badly wrong with moving a play to the screen. Take for instance A Streetcar Named Desire. In the film they put Marlon Brando in the chief role, supposed to be a despicable character and a rapist, but everybody loved him and thought he was right in what he did to his wife and Blanche.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 05:47:22 am »

I use vinyl, CDs, VHS and hopefully soon tape.

Over a SONOS system  Cool

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Myky D

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 05:47:38 am »

Plays are written for the stage. Things can go badly wrong with moving a play to the screen. Take for instance A Streetcar Named Desire. In the film they put Marlon Brando in the chief role, supposed to be a despicable character and a rapist, but everybody loved him and thought he was right in what he did to his wife and Blanche.

As noted above - thus 'film' is a superior delivery technology.
Myky D

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 05:48:05 am »

I use vinyl, CDs, VHS and hopefully soon tape.

Over a SONOS system  Cool

Why?
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 05:54:14 am »

Why?

Because I have a lot of shit in these mediums

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 05:59:41 am »

Exactly - plays are far less efficient at displaying a story. So films are actively better than plays.

It is not merely "displaying a story". Novels and plays are art forms, which film can also be, but when they use novels and plays, the director is faced with the task of making a film that is also an art work, and due to a lack of taste or understanding, or the interference caused by commercial goals, they rarely succeed.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 06:00:49 am »

As noted above - thus 'film' is a superior delivery technology.

What?
Myky D

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 07:49:34 am »

What?

Film is a superior delivery medium to theatre. Theatre is live and thus vulnerable to failure. Film is a closed medium so does not fail.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 07:59:45 am »

You haven't understood anything of what I have written. Films fail all the time, that is why they are poor investments.
Myky D

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 08:50:47 am »

You haven't understood anything of what I have written. Films fail all the time, that is why they are poor investments.

Conceptually films are closed. Of course in practicality they aren't. But the theatre is open and thus vulnerable. Heckling, stage failure, staff failure.
Myky D

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 08:51:35 am »

Because I have a lot of shit in these mediums

But if it were transferred to digital the delivery mechanism would be superior.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 08:54:41 am »

Conceptually films are closed. Of course in practicality they aren't. But the theatre is open and thus vulnerable. Heckling, stage failure, staff failure.

Fuck the vulnerability: if a film produces a rugged hero the audience loves, when the artistic integrity of the play is that Stan is a pig-ignorant wife beater and rapist, then the film has failed.
Rasta

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 08:58:23 am »

Film is a superior delivery medium to theatre. Theatre is live and thus vulnerable to failure. Film is a closed medium so does not fail.

Presumably, you'd prefer to sit on your couch with your MP3 rather than go see the same artist live then? Does that sound about right?

You gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get into that boy's soul
Myky D

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 09:01:05 am »

Presumably, you'd prefer to sit on your couch with your MP3 rather than go see the same artist live then? Does that sound about right?

Pretty much. Its nice to sit around a fire and hear someone play well if the battery on my iPod has run out, though.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 02:42:44 pm »

But if it were transferred to digital the delivery mechanism would be superior.

What does this mean ?

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Myky D

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2018, 01:28:39 am »

What does this mean ?

If you convert all your cds, cassettes  and vinyl to digital mp3s, then  you'll be able to listen to them, in superior sound quality*, whenever and wherever you like,  wherever you want, in whatever order you want.

*obviously if your cassette recordings are truly shite then you're fucked, but there's a lot of cleaning up that can be done now.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2018, 05:35:28 am »

If you convert all your cds, cassettes  and vinyl to digital mp3s, then  you'll be able to listen to them, in superior sound quality*, whenever and wherever you like,  wherever you want, in whatever order you want.

*obviously if your cassette recordings are truly shite then you're fucked, but there's a lot of cleaning up that can be done now.

I dont need to, that is the point. I can blast vinyl throughout my flat which including bathrooms has something like 9 rooms

My Sonos system has a closed sub wifi system and an analogue digital converter which runs from a pre amp. But I want to build a technics hi-fi so i can get a decent amp rigged. At the mo I just have a record deck.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 05:42:06 am by ymrader » Logged

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Myky D

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 07:27:19 am »

Yeah, but such relies on physical media which needs maintaining and attending to - you have to turn the vinyl or cassette over. MP3 means you don't have to. More efficient delivery mechanism.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2018, 03:32:06 pm »

Yeah, but such relies on physical media which needs maintaining and attending to - you have to turn the vinyl or cassette over. MP3 means you don't have to. More efficient delivery mechanism.

You get to listen to an album how the artist structured it.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Myky D

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2018, 04:03:57 pm »

You get to listen to an album how the artist structured it.

Mp3 doesn't deny you that.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: