The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 16, 2018, 11:43:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119302 Posts in 5709 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  GDPR privacy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: GDPR privacy  (Read 177 times)
ymrader
Administrator

« on: May 24, 2018, 08:27:07 am »

Tech firms are blocking eu users as its easier than giving citizens control of their own data.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Red Herring

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 09:22:48 am »

Don’t get me started on the GDPR.

My organisation is in a flat panic about it. I'm getting completely contradictory advice, most of it completely impossible operationally. I’m ignoring all the management directives and keeping my head down in the hope the higher ups will eventually figure out what we really have to do. Right now what they’re asking for is pure fantasy (and I suspect unnecessary for compliance).

Red
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 09:24:56 am »

My organisation is in a flat panic about it. I'm getting completely contradictory advice, most of it completely impossible operationally. I’m ignoring all the management directives and keeping my head down in the hope the higher ups will eventually figure out what we really have to do. Right now what they’re asking for is pure fantasy (and I suspect unnecessary for compliance).

Red

I think the jist is just dont abuse or flog peoples data  Grin

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Red Herring

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 11:13:07 am »

I think the jist is just dont abuse or flog peoples data  Grin

Yeah - that's about the size of it. I dunno if the guidance/legislation is badly drafted, or if people are just making a mountain of a molehill, but it is creating a lot of unnecessary work in my manor.

Red
Myky D

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 12:39:51 pm »

I predict a slew of PPI-like "Have you been contacted by a company that you didn't sign up to?"-type businesses trying to sue everyone.
vanceen

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 09:42:54 pm »

Red

Remember Y2k?
Red Herring

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 04:50:30 am »

Remember Y2k?

Indeed, and it reminds me a lot of that.

I was in a meeting where our GDPR 'champion' was saying how it demanded a complete culture change, and she didn't want to see everything go back to normal in 2 weeks.

I was sitting there praying that everything would do just that :-D I suspect it will, and that everybody will look back and wonder wtf all tge fuss was about.

Red
Myky D

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 05:52:17 am »

It's good to be able to get rid of all the spam, though.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 06:27:51 am »

I was in a meeting where our GDPR 'champion' was saying how it demanded a complete culture change, and she didn't want to see everything go back to normal in 2 weeks.

I was sitting there praying that everything would do just that :-D I suspect it will, and that everybody will look back and wonder wtf all tge fuss was about.

Red

Its to align with german culture  Cool

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Myky D

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 07:57:48 am »

“The Hun is always either at your throat or your feet….”
Mr Angry

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 11:01:51 am »

Red
Everyone in the company I work for has had to do a gdpr training course - and I have absolutely nothing to do with anyone's data, not even my own.  I understand why though, the potential fines would make a squid's eyes water.  4% of global turnover.

Don't believe everything you think.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 01:16:04 pm »

Everyone in the company I work for has had to do a gdpr training course - and I have absolutely nothing to do with anyone's data, not even my own.  I understand why though, the potential fines would make a squid's eyes water.  4% of global turnover.

Peeps private data is strong here. No holding shit on gov databases, very little cctv, defeat by facebook to use real names.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
mikado

a Nineteenth Century pseudo-Oriental nightmare

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 11:19:31 am »

I just want to say that I was appalled, disgusted and OUTRAGED not to have been contacted by GreatWorldDebate regarding my GDPR rights and data security.

I have had helpful and courteous reminders from a surprisingly large number of online vendors, some of which I remember using. I have even been contacted by a plumbing supplies merchant I last used 15 years ago, enquiring about my data security. From GWD - not a dickie bird.

I can only assume you plan to take the information "mikado used a plumbing supplier 15 years ago" and sell it to every spam merchant on the planet. You truly are the epitome of everything that is wrong with capitalism these days.

Yours etc

No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 11:35:44 pm »

I just want to say that I was appalled, disgusted and OUTRAGED not to have been contacted by GreatWorldDebate regarding my GDPR rights and data security.

I have had helpful and courteous reminders from a surprisingly large number of online vendors, some of which I remember using. I have even been contacted by a plumbing supplies merchant I last used 15 years ago, enquiring about my data security. From GWD - not a dickie bird.

I can only assume you plan to take the information "mikado used a plumbing supplier 15 years ago" and sell it to every spam merchant on the planet. You truly are the epitome of everything that is wrong with capitalism these days.

Yours etc

Its Mikado !

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 03:35:59 am »

So do you know a good GDPR consultant ?