The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2018, 08:43:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119305 Posts in 5709 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Possible new home
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Possible new home  (Read 413 times)
Dutch Rosie

« on: May 22, 2018, 12:48:59 pm »

I am going to have a look at a vacant house in a village tomorrow and have just done a bit of research: oh boy, it's a village that hid so many Jews during the occupation that the Israelis gave them a huge award for bravery. It hid a very high number of resistance fighters too, and hid all sorts of people who were wanted by the NS. It is very remote, which made all this a little easier. Sounds like a good place to live.
Myky D

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 01:16:41 pm »

Don't tell Jeremy Corbyn.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 02:10:03 pm »

I haven't told Mr Rosie yet that there are no bus services at the weekends to and from the village. He will throw a fit.
vladimir

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 04:14:19 pm »

Best of luck!

( ?° ?? ?°)
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 06:54:03 am »

Just got back. The house is lovely, so is the village. People came out of their homes to shake my hand and have a chat. I saw the Israeli award certificate, framed and displayed in the centre of the village.I am taking the house.

Mr Rosie is throwing his fit about no weekend buses as I type. Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 07:32:32 am by Dutch Rosie » Logged
Myky D

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 07:42:35 am »

Tell Mr Rosie to pipe down and make you a g&t.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 07:54:56 am »

He did make me a nice cup of tea, before starting to fuss about details, to which I indeed told him to pipe down.

I am knackered after such a busy day with so much walking.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 08:31:13 am »

Must be nice.

I have the joy of living near the old forbidden zone which housed the kgb, soviet headquarters and torture facilities.

The only plaque we have is a monument to the kgb who died in ww2  Undecided

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 09:56:53 am »

Yeah, but you ,live in a charming town, and on the doorstep of what I consider one of the best if not the best city in the world.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 10:44:24 am »

Yeah, but you ,live in a charming town, and on the doorstep of what I consider one of the best if not the best city in the world.

Trouble is Berlin rent has rocketed, rippled here as well. What I pay for my 165qm flat will now get you a 50qm flat in a new build in babelsberg.

Men with huge hipster beards have been spotted !!

Gentrification abounds!

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 10:57:30 am »

Sickening, isn't it? When I lived in Berlin, it was easy to find housing and the rents were low to reasonable.

My new house is cheap too, 480 euros per month.
Myky D

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 01:00:43 am »

Gentrification is a good thing - it indicates money flowing into the area.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 03:48:57 am »

My new house is cheap too, 480 euros per month.

Shocked

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 03:50:10 am »

Theres plenty of money here already.

This just lines developers pockets

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 04:35:09 am »

Irony, I presume.

Gentrification means getting rid of the original residents, by hook or by crook. I saw this happen in Notting Hill and I still feel bitter about it after so many years. There was a real community then of blacks, hippies, students and poor whites. We were all driven out, frequently with the help of the police, since our landlords never gave us a rent book and just claimed we were squatters.
Red Herring

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 05:54:25 am »

Having lived in Hackney through the height of its gentrification (1997 to date) I'm in two minds about it.

I'm  sure as hell not moaning about the streets and parks being cleaner, waste collection being more efficient and public services in general improving beyond recognition - all at the same time as the Council Tax being virtually frozen. I’m not complaining about the local comprehensive my kids go to out performing some of the best private schools when it comes to results.

I’m not in the slightest bit angered by all the nice restaurants, delicatessens, shops, and pubs opening up on the nearby Chatsworth road (formerly known as the Cracksworth/Crabsworth Road). I’m also quite glad that the notorious ‘murder mile’ is starting to turn into the mummy mile (though it must be said, yummy mummies are incredibly annoying).

What I am not so keen on is the astronomical increase in house and rental prices. From the point of view of equity it’s nice, but from the point of view of my kids having a cat in hells chance of living in Hackney it’s quite sad. There’s no doubt that market forces are slowly but surely squeezing out the ‘original’ population, especially when benefits caps are factored in. No landlord in their right mind will rent out accommodation to someone on housing benefit when they can get double that at market rates.

I haven’t seen the deliberate cleansing that Rosie describes in Notting Hill. Nobody is trying drive out “blacks, hippies, students and poor whites”, it’s just that market forces are doing their work. I would also add, that the blacks, hippies, students and poor whites that formed pre-gentrification Hackney have also contributed to its gentrification.

Mrs. Herring and I were poor, white, student hippies when we moved to Hackney. We bought a house there because it was the only area we could afford. We had kids, got jobs, got better jobs, paid off debts, and slowly but surely had more disposable income. In some ways gentrification can be the result not of blacks/hippies/students/poor whites being forced out, but because they themselves are becoming gentrified.

And for all that there’s still plenty to keep the anti-gentrification brigade happy – there’s certainly enough poverty, crime, stabbings, shootings exploitation, vandalism and homelessness to go round and keep us in the news.

Red
Myky D

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 06:38:45 am »

I don't understand why people think they should have the right to be able to afford to buy in the area they grew up in.
Myky D

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 06:47:03 am »

. There’s no doubt that market forces are slowly but surely squeezing out the ‘original’ population,

That's no bad thing, though - everyone should have the right to move where they like, right?

Also - beer.
Red Herring

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 07:05:00 am »

I don't understand why people think they should have the right to be able to afford to buy in the area they grew up in.

I'm not sure people do think they should have the ‘right to be able to afford’, but I can see why people would (and usually do) prefer to live in the area they grew up in. It’s what they know, it’s where their friends and family are, and it’s where their community is.

Red
Myky D

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 07:13:35 am »

Well, yes - just as many people would prefer to be very rich and powerful.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 07:34:42 am »

That's no bad thing, though - everyone should have the right to move where they like, right?

Also - beer.

If you are born into a community, one should be able to remain in it as an adult. That, at least, is the policy in the Netherlands, where people get housing priority in certain communities and sufficient social houses are provided. In the money belt of course, there are no poor people so no need of social housing. The only people who do not enjoy this privilege are caravan dwellers. They have to move to permanent housing when they want to leave their parents'caravan, since the government want a slow end to the "camps" and the social problems connected to them.

I am very grateful to be living in this country and have always lived in social housing, sometimes with an emergency status on the waiting list due to job changes and the need to move quickly.

Red Herring

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 07:37:31 am »

Well, yes - just as many people would prefer to be very rich and powerful.

Wanting to live near friends and family is a much more modest ambition than wanting to be rich and powerful.

Red
Myky D

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 07:38:56 am »

Wanting to live near friends and family is a much more modest ambition than wanting to be rich and powerful.

Red

Not if you can't afford to do it it's not.
Red Herring

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 07:54:49 am »

Not if you can't afford to do it it's not.

Which is the issue - what the market is doing to rental and housing prices means you have to be rich to live near your friends and family.

I get your point, it's not a complicated one. It's a dog eat dog world, we all want things we can't have, we can't expect to be spoon fed etc. etc.

But none of that changes the fact that people like to have options, and in general they like to live in communities and nearby friends and families. Which is partly why affordable housing has become one of the major issues in the UK. Not just in London but nationally.

Red
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 08:05:09 am »

But none of that changes the fact that people like to have options, and in general they like to live in communities and nearby friends and families. Which is partly why affordable housing has become one of the major issues in the UK. Not just in London but nationally.

Red

Just Berlin now, it was always cheap and techno. The a lot of foreign investment poured in as it was relatively safe and high reward.

You would be surprised how many are from the UK.

Tenant rights are very strong here. Takes a lot to get rid of people in secure tenure. So landlords were just saying the heating system needed replacing so they could flip tenants. It led to a law being passed capping rent.

Potsdam is a pretty small town only 165,000 or so I think, 30,000 coming in the last 15 years.

The dynamic change is considerable in a small town. Especially relative to income vs rental increase.

Upshot being people being forced out to the boons

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: