The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 16, 2018, 11:32:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119302 Posts in 5709 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Existentialism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Existentialism  (Read 311 times)
Myky D

« on: May 20, 2018, 05:51:43 pm »

Anyone else suffer from it?
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 12:55:18 am »

I've never fully understood what it is.
Myky D

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 02:15:07 am »

It's basically the realisation and understanding that life is ultimately futile and entirely meaningless:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 02:37:07 am »

Then no, I have never suffered from it, since I believe we give life our own meanings.
Myky D

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 03:21:46 am »

I don't understand how to do that.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 03:29:12 am »

I reckon you do know how to do that: you have a meaningful relationship for a start...
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 04:30:05 am »

"Secret O' Life"

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
Any fool can do it, there ain't nothing to it.
Nobody knows how we got to the top of the hill.
But since we're on our way down, we might as well enjoy the ride.

The secret of love is in opening up your heart.
It's okay to feel afraid, but don't let that stand in your way.
Cause anyone knows that love is the only road.
And since we're only here for a while, might as well show some style. Give us a smile.

Isn't it a lovely ride? Sliding down, gliding down,
try not to try too hard, it's just a lovely ride.

Now the thing about time is that time isn't really real.
It's just your point of view, how does it feel for you?
Einstein said he could never understand it all.
Planets spinning through space, the smile upon your face, welcome to the human race.

Some kind of lovely ride. I'll be sliding down, I'll be gliding down.
Try not to try too hard, it's just a lovely ride.
Isn't it a lovely ride? Sliding down, gliding down,
try not to try too hard, it's just a lovely ride.
The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.

Myky D

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 04:51:49 am »

I reckon you do know how to do that: you have a meaningful relationship for a start...

Yes - many of my relationships are indeed meaningful to me, though ultimately not so. As we die so do those relationships, and memories and history fade.

Even the pyramids will one day be dust.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 05:08:24 am »

That is why they are so wonderful. Enjoy and be happy on the way down.

I had breakfast in the sunshine in the garden this morning, with my beloved and my two remaining cats. The roses are just starting to bloom and I put one on Smokey's grave. All is as it was meant to be and I was happy.

Black really ain't the new white.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:11:27 am by Dutch Rosie » Logged
Red Herring

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 05:24:03 am »

Red
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 05:28:27 am »

Post swim, lakeside on Sunday with countless other sun bathers. Some guy walks past with 2 big fuck off goats and takes them to the lake.

I kidd you not

Life is not futile, its bonkers

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Myky D

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 06:08:44 am »

Red

Brilliant!
vladimir

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 09:07:17 am »

It's the main reason I drink.  To at least dull the constant awareness that eventually I will cease to exist and everything I've ever accomplished will fade away as if I had never existed in the first place.

I see politicians and leaders who struggle to achieve positions of power.  Businessmen putting all of their effort in to amassing as much wealth as possible (far too often at the expense of those they can trample and oppress) and all I can think is, "Hey!  Do you remember who the wealthiest, most powerful person in Mesopotamia was?  No?  That's right.  At one point the most powerful person in the world... and with a blink of an eye on the cosmic time scale... nothing."

I will work to give myself a reasonably comfortable existence.  I will try to instill the common sense in my children to work towards that same goal.  I will play my guitar when I can, and I will drink to dampen the constant sense of pointlessness of it all.

I feel guilty as hell for having brought children in to the mix.  I hope they're both better than me and end the bloodline here.

( ?° ?? ?°)
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 09:37:38 am »

It's the main reason I drink.  To at least dull the constant awareness that eventually I will cease to exist and everything I've ever accomplished will fade away as if I had never existed in the first place.

I see politicians and leaders who struggle to achieve positions of power.  Businessmen putting all of their effort in to amassing as much wealth as possible (far too often at the expense of those they can trample and oppress) and all I can think is, "Hey!  Do you remember who the wealthiest, most powerful person in Mesopotamia was?  No?  That's right.  At one point the most powerful person in the world... and with a blink of an eye on the cosmic time scale... nothing."

I will work to give myself a reasonably comfortable existence.  I will try to instill the common sense in my children to work towards that same goal.  I will play my guitar when I can, and I will drink to dampen the constant sense of pointlessness of it all.

I feel guilty as hell for having brought children in to the mix.  I hope they're both better than me and end the bloodline here.

That will be me then, last male with my surname in the uk able to pop out kids. Cool

I reckon its not that long before noone remembers you. Maybe grandparents grandparents heve no living connection?

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
drippinhun

The good old U.S. - living in a kakistocracy

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 10:44:37 am »

Yes - many of my relationships are indeed meaningful to me, though ultimately not so. As we die so do those relationships, and memories and history fade.

Even the pyramids will one day be dust.

The Beatles' music shall live forever.

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds the criticsms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." Herman Melville.

Trump drains swamp and installs open-air septic tank.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 12:15:31 pm »

It sounds to me that the problem isn't existentialism but varying degrees of depression. After all, most of us know that there is no "meaning" to life and there is no heaven or hell after it, but it doesn't ruin our lives or make us suffer.
Biss

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2018, 04:16:02 pm »

It sounds to me that the problem isn't existentialism but varying degrees of depression. After all, most of us know that there is no "meaning" to life and there is no heaven or hell after it, but it doesn't ruin our lives or make us suffer.

Yeah. I accept the meaninglessness of my existence, and am okay with it without getting maudlin. The absurdity of it all amuses me.

Myky D

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 04:18:50 pm »

I'm way too self important to find it amusing.
Red Herring

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 04:56:50 am »

Anyone else suffer from it?

From time to time. I first got it back in the mid-eighties as a teenager when I read lots of Sartre and Camus. Then I had a relapse in the nineties - it was a bad call doing philosophy at uni, even sticking to analytics you can't help but get exposed to existentialism from time to time. I've caught it again recently, it was a text book error. I started listening to a philosophy podcast called the Partially Examined Life.

I'm generally of the 'life is meaningless ... so what?' school of thought. There's fun and gratification to be had in getting the rock to the top of the hill - if it rolls back down so much the better, you get to go again :-)

Red
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 06:26:47 am »

I'm way too self important to find it amusing.

Ah, the grim, stoic hero.  Wink
Myky D

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 09:56:56 am »

Ah, the grim, stoic hero.  Wink

I'm not the hero anyone wants.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 12:44:16 pm »

I hope you don't mind me asking, but have you fallen out with the wife or something?
Myky D

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2018, 01:15:51 pm »

I hope you don't mind me asking, but have you fallen out with the wife or something?

God no - I'm an idiot, but I'm not an idiot. It's a beautiful evening here in Mordor, just right for contemplating humanity's godless insignificance.
vladimir

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2018, 04:15:45 pm »

Batman?

( ?° ?? ?°)
Myky D

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 04:17:04 pm »

Certainly not. Certainly not.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: