The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 16, 2018, 11:39:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119302 Posts in 5709 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  It's all for your own good - nothing to hide, nothing to fear
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: It's all for your own good - nothing to hide, nothing to fear  (Read 167 times)
Myky D

« on: May 18, 2018, 07:56:01 am »

First they came for the elderly ...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6315601/campaign-launched-to-install-cctv-in-every-care-home-to-help-stamp-out-abuse-of-elderly/

There is no argument for privacy - only criminals have something to hide.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 03:15:28 pm »

You would not believe how many people in the uk I know have cctv.....

Staggering.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
El Robbo

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 03:57:38 pm »

In fairness, you hail from Sunderland so I probably would believe  animated laugh

Link - Be who you want to be, not what you're told you need to be

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed by El Robbo on GWD do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of El Robbo
ben wedge

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 06:37:51 pm »

First they came for the elderly ...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6315601/campaign-launched-to-install-cctv-in-every-care-home-to-help-stamp-out-abuse-of-elderly/

There is no argument for privacy - only criminals have something to hide.

Yeah, don't let's worry about the defenceless old biddies being abused,eh?

Any idea how many cases have been taken to court as a result of CCTV footage secretly put in their relatives rooms by suspicious family members?

How do you suggest protecting them from the staff?

Carers have a stressful and very poorly paid job, unfortunately it is often the residents who take the brunt of the frustrations of staff

As you quite rightly say - 'nothing to hide, nothing to fear'...after all, what sort of pervert would want to watch hours of video of the escapades of the senile, surely not you? Roll Eyes

Lone Ranger
Myky D

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 04:38:32 am »

Yeah, don't let's worry about the defenceless old biddies being abused,eh?

Any idea how many cases have been taken to court as a result of CCTV footage secretly put in their relatives rooms by suspicious family members?

How do you suggest protecting them from the staff?

Carers have a stressful and very poorly paid job, unfortunately it is often the residents who take the brunt of the frustrations of staff

As you quite rightly say - 'nothing to hide, nothing to fear'...after all, what sort of pervert would want to watch hours of video of the escapades of the senile, surely not you? Roll Eyes

Indeed. We should extend the remit to all private residences, and thus eradicate donestic abuse.

After all - there is no argument for any form of privacy from the government.
ben wedge

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 12:09:08 pm »

Indeed. We should extend the remit to all private residences, and thus eradicate donestic abuse.

Where and when (other than in your fevered imagination) did 'the government' come into this? You may rest assured that 'the government' will not be monitoring CCTV in Care homes. In fact I would wager that no-one will be doing so, it will be used to investigate allegations of abuse
It will also serve as both a restraint against abuse by staff and simultaneously act as a safeguard against false/malicious against such accusations against them

Are you of the opinion that all CCTV is simply a means of 'the government' watching you in the hope of catching you getting up to whatever you get up to that makes you so frightened?...or do you accept that it does in fact assist in prevention and detection of crime

Lone Ranger
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 12:20:23 pm »

Seemingly the probably unlawful facial recognition software they use in Stasi uk is 98% shit.

Cost millions and is defeated by caps from sports direct and sunnies from poundland.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Myky D

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 01:05:08 pm »

Seemingly the probably unlawful facial recognition software they use in Stasi uk is 98% shit.

Cost millions and is defeated by caps from sports direct and sunnies from poundland.

China's getting down with it, mind - only a matter of time until we do:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/china-social-credit-system-things-you-can-do-wrong-and-punishments-2018-4

Ben will be getting very excited.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 02:33:48 pm »

China's getting down with it, mind - only a matter of time until we do:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/china-social-credit-system-things-you-can-do-wrong-and-punishments-2018-4

Ben will be getting very excited.

This is already happening in employment in the west. I wonder how many points you lose if you are offline...

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Myky D

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 06:01:59 am »

This is already happening in employment in the west. I wonder how many points you lose if you are offline...

Yes indeed. "The problem with some people is that they just don't WANT to work".
Red Herring

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 05:37:50 am »

It's a funny thing this CCTV business.

CCTV is absolutely everywhere - we are being filmed in streets, in shops, in tube stations, in tube carriages, on buses, in taxis, in banks, just about everywhere we go.

Yet when my mother in law tries to take a picture of her granddaughter at the local swimming pool the lifeguard scolds her. Apparently we mustn't photograph children, never mind that the entire swimming pool is monitored by CCTV  Roll Eyes

Red
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 05:41:44 am »

CCTV is absolutely everywhere - we are being filmed in streets, in shops, in tube stations, in tube carriages, on buses, in taxis, in banks, just about everywhere we go.

Yet when my mother in law tries to take a picture of her granddaughter at the local swimming pool the lifeguard scolds her. Apparently we mustn't photograph children, never mind that the entire swimming pool is monitored by CCTV  Roll Eyes

Red

Only the state can take pictures of your children !

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Red Herring

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 05:53:32 am »

Only the state can take pictures of your children !

Seems to me that anybody can - as long as it's on CCTV. My corner shop has CCTV so they are routinely taking pictures of children - hundreds, if not thousands a day. In fact it's often the kids that they have the closest eye on because of shoplifting.

Red
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 06:18:20 am »

Red

Good lord, what next?

I had a visitor to my garden yesterday, a little girl who had a chit chat with me then explained that she was too scared to go  home alone, because she had to walk down an alleyway full of wild roses and a swarm of bees.  I explained about bees not being dangerous unless you hurt them, but took her home anyway. I hope her parents don't think I had been doing anything wicked with her...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: