The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2018, 07:14:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
118783 Posts in 5674 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Wolves
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wolves  (Read 120 times)
ymrader
Administrator

« on: April 30, 2018, 03:23:53 am »

One was ran over just outside of Potsdam  Shocked

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
TGK

Sex, Drugs and Sausage rolls.

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 04:19:00 am »

One was ran over just outside of Potsdam  Shocked

Saw a thing the other day about re-introducing wolves to the U.K.

Not sure how I feel about it. Apparently it will help control the deer population in a 'natural' way.

I have nothing against deer, and it's probably my ignorance as to why they should be controlled.

Now you could argue there's nothing natural about humans lifting and shifting a species that has died out back into an ecosystem, but you could also argue that the species wouldn't have died out in the first place were it not for humans.

It has a Jurassic Park feel about it.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 05:12:41 am »

I agree, TGK.

We have had a horrible drama in the Netherlands this winter, when horses and cattle died slowly of hunger, because the area they had been put in did not flourish with plant life as expected.  Protesters trying to feed the animals were driven away by police and it has now been decided that the plan was badly thought out and the animals have to be removed.

I have been through that area several times and it struck me like the fields of Flanders after WW! Just a blasted heath of dead tree stumps.
TGK

Sex, Drugs and Sausage rolls.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 05:59:11 am »

I agree, TGK.

We have had a horrible drama in the Netherlands this winter, when horses and cattle died slowly of hunger, because the area they had been put in did not flourish with plant life as expected.  Protesters trying to feed the animals were driven away by police and it has now been decided that the plan was badly thought out and the animals have to be removed.

I have been through that area several times and it struck me like the fields of Flanders after WW! Just a blasted heath of dead tree stumps.

Err......what? That's mental. For horses and cattle. I don't get it.

My problem when I think about it, is introducing stuff that can kill you. I have no objection to re-introducing beavers (really people? really? Come on) but wolves? What next? Bears? Wild Boar? Dinosaurs? There's a historical reason we don't co-exist. My argument is not consistent and I know it, what is right for beavers should apply to wolves.....but.......

If me and the current squeeze are out for a lovely walk in the country, through bluebell laden woods if you will, on a fragrant summer's afternoon and the mood takes us, even with my extreme, almost Frenchman's, sense of 'laissez faire' I'd probably struggle to finish if I was surrounded by a pack of wolves.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 06:15:55 am »

My problem when I think about it, is introducing stuff that can kill you. I have no objection to re-introducing beavers (really people? really? Come on) but wolves? What next? Bears? Wild Boar? Dinosaurs? There's a historical reason we don't co-exist. My argument is not consistent and I know it, what is right for beavers should apply to wolves.....but.......

If me and the current squeeze are out for a lovely walk in the country, through bluebell laden woods if you will, on a fragrant summer's afternoon and the mood takes us, even with my extreme, almost Frenchman's, sense of 'laissez faire' I'd probably struggle to finish if I was surrounded by a pack of wolves. ,

The are migrating from russia, been coming closer for a good 10 years. I think maybe 5 years ago there were about 150 they thought in Brandenburg and its a massive state. Now they are getting closer. On one hand its a good thing as farmers are suggesting a huge cull of wild boar.  The wolves wont go hungry. Boars are more likely to fuck your shit up here. A hunter was killed by one a few years back. One of the regulars at my local had his dog gouged to death.

Oh i saw a beaver last week and an eagle  Grin

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 06:48:19 am »

If me and the current squeeze are out for a lovely walk in the country, through bluebell laden woods if you will, on a fragrant summer's afternoon and the mood takes us, even with my extreme, almost Frenchman's, sense of 'laissez faire' I'd probably struggle to finish if I was surrounded by a pack of wolves.

Hahaha!

The area the horses and cattle were housed in was a piece of land that was reclaimed from the sea in the 1950s.  There are two large towns on it and a lot of wasted space in between, so they romantically decided to give it to wild horses and wild cattle.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: