The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 19, 2018, 06:49:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119326 Posts in 5710 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Sugar Tax
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Sugar Tax  (Read 693 times)
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 03:28:36 am »

Amazingly I have a fully functioning kick arse liver  Cool

Me too, incredibly. And kidneys. It's part of the Venerable Bede's never-surpassed feat of genetic engineering that created us Geordie Border Guards many centuries ago when the Scots were threatening invasion.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
TGK

Sex, Drugs and Sausage rolls.

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 08:25:14 am »

The biggest stress on the nhs is an ageing population.

What do YOU think it is ? Do you have an opinion or are you just capable of glibly deriding others ?

Whoa whoa whoa there tiger.

Whilst I can't deny that I do love glibly deriding people, and I really do.....

I'm not arguing with your prognosis, I was merely pointing out that people living longer isn't either 'a' or 'the' problem. It should in fact be celebrated. The NHS faces changes because of the very people it keeps alive, it's almost a paradox.

If the system was originally set up to cope with people living three score years and ten, and that is no longer the case, then the answer is to change or tweak the system, not moan about pesky old people clinging on to their mortal coil.......and that's the same with pensions as it is to the NHS.....and there are two options, either we pay more, or we provide less. I don't see it as a problem, I see it as a fait accompli that we need to adapt to.

I do have a problem with you saying, and you did a bit, that the problem with the health service is elderly Tory voters not dying like they used to, which is pretty fucking cold no matter which way you dress it up. Only you can say why you brought Brexit, austerity and outsourcing into it, but it feels a bit scattergun if we're being honest.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 04:36:27 am »

Only you can say why you brought Brexit, austerity and outsourcing into it, but it feels a bit scattergun if we're being honest.

Because I used to work in NHS audit  Cool

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 04:41:34 am »

I do have a problem with you saying, and you did a bit, that the problem with the health service is elderly Tory voters not dying like they used to, which is pretty fucking cold no matter which way you dress it up.

I didnt say that, you did.

What I said is an aging population places stress on the NHS, the gov will not say this as their core voter tends to be just that.

How much do you think a 25 yr old costs the NHS vs an 86 yr old ?
How many people lived to 86 when the NHS was formed ?
How many people will live to 86 in 50yrs time ?

Making cuts to the NHS will not lessen the pressure on service delivery

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Mr Angry

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 05:10:54 am »

To suggest that an ageing population is the biggest stress on the NHS is an oversimplification in my view.  The biggest issue is that the NHS provides care far beyond what was possible when it was founded.  I can remember when MRI scanners could be counted on your thumbs, when heart transplants always made the headlines, when a hip replacement was science fiction.  These things and so much more are routine now, but still bloody expensive.  People expect them, demand them, but are reluctant to accept that if they want them to continue, while the NHS also continues to provide GPs, dentists, maternity services,  nursing care and all the other services it was set up to provide, they are going to have to pay more in tax, or pay for private medical insurance.  I would prefer more tax, I could afford to go private but would rather pay that extra into the general pot so everyone benefits, not just me and some revolting insurancemonger.

Don't believe everything you think.
TGK

Sex, Drugs and Sausage rolls.

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2018, 06:39:30 pm »

I didnt say that, you did.

What I said is an aging population places stress on the NHS, the gov will not say this as their core voter tends to be just that.

How much do you think a 25 yr old costs the NHS vs an 86 yr old ?
How many people lived to 86 when the NHS was formed ?
How many people will live to 86 in 50yrs time ?

Making cuts to the NHS will not lessen the pressure on service delivery

This is a direct quote from you....

"The problem is not solely the patients.

Pfis, outsourcing, austerity and brexit in the mixer.

The big problem is people are living too long and the ponzi scheme is creaking. The Tories will never admit that the problem is their core voter."

Riiiigggghhttt. I said it. You didn't at all allude to, or make snide reference to, that the 'problem' is old people who may or may not vote Tory not dying. You 100% did not do that, there is no way that anyone could possibly join up those dots.

I'd refer you back to all my other comments, the success of the NHS is keeping people alive, it's mildly or actually perverse to call that 'the problem'.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 06:46:19 pm by TGK » Logged
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2018, 09:12:24 am »

To suggest that an ageing population is the biggest stress on the NHS is an oversimplification in my view.  The biggest issue is that the NHS provides care far beyond what was possible when it was founded.  I can remember when MRI scanners could be counted on your thumbs, when heart transplants always made the headlines, when a hip replacement was science fiction.  These things and so much more are routine now, but still bloody expensive.  People expect them, demand them, but are reluctant to accept that if they want them to continue, while the NHS also continues to provide GPs, dentists, maternity services,  nursing care and all the other services it was set up to provide, they are going to have to pay more in tax, or pay for private medical insurance.  I would prefer more tax, I could afford to go private but would rather pay that extra into the general pot so everyone benefits, not just me and some revolting insurancemonger.

We pay a sort of crinkly tax here on top of normal tax to cover retirement, care home etc

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2018, 12:28:46 pm »

The UK should stop financing the NHS via taxes and introduce a proper insurance scheme with not-for-profit insurers and fixed prices for treatment. Non essentials such as fertility treatment could be covered by additional optional insurance packages, as they are in the Netherlands.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: