The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2018, 11:59:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
118605 Posts in 5655 Topics by 87 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Sugar Tax
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Sugar Tax  (Read 254 times)
Red Herring

« on: April 06, 2018, 06:36:22 am »

And so it goes - yet another excuse for taxation:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43659124

£240,000,000 per year to be raised from people that buy soft drinks. No doubt a fast food tax will be hot on the heels.

Will this mean that the media will stop bitching about how much smoking, drinking and obesity cost the NHS? Of course not - even though we pay more in tax, and die younger, those of us who enjoy the good life will still be scapegoated for the problems of the NHS.

Red
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 07:35:14 am »

Yeah call me cynical  Wink

Sfunny I was listening about it on the radio this morning. DE has no plans to follow suit.

Presenter was saying that identical drinks like fanta can have 5 more grammes of sugar in them in the UK than here..

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 10:17:31 am »

" those of us who enjoy the good life will still be scapegoated for the problems of the NHS."

That isn't scapegoating, that's how all insurance works. The healthy pay for the sick. The NHS is too cheap and you all should be paying more.
vladimir

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 10:24:15 am »

And so it goes - yet another excuse for taxation:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43659124

£240,000,000 per year to be raised from people that buy soft drinks. No doubt a fast food tax will be hot on the heels.

Will this mean that the media will stop bitching about how much smoking, drinking and obesity cost the NHS? Of course not - even though we pay more in tax, and die younger, those of us who enjoy the good life will still be scapegoated for the problems of the NHS.

Red

They tried soda tax here in Chicago and people flipped their lids.  Got repealed real quick.

Personally, drinking carbonated sugar water perplexes me.  I mean... maybe with some whiskey in it I guess, but straight soda?  Fattens you up AND rots your teeth?  Why?  Maybe it's just how I was raised.  We never had soda in the house.  Just about the only times I ever drank it was when I went to the movies.  I still associate soda with movies.

A wise man said, "You can't step in the same stream twice," but I find wet feet soon get caked with sand and grit.  That's very unpleasant, especially between the toes.  So when I go for a stroll I stay on the sidewalk.
Red Herring

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 10:25:55 am »

" those of us who enjoy the good life will still be scapegoated for the problems of the NHS."

That isn't scapegoating, that's how all insurance works. The healthy pay for the sick. The NHS is too cheap and you all should be paying more.

Smokers and drinkers already pay more. They contribute more in taxes, and cost less in the long run by dying early.

It's the healthy living ones that need to step up. The longer they live the more they cost and they have tax breaks  Cheesy

There's probably a flaw in that argument though, some studies suggest that healthy living isn't as good for us as we think. I imagine high levels of stress and anxiety are bad for the soul. Maybe we should start taxing health foods  Cool

Red
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 03:32:44 pm »

The problem is not solely the patients.

Pfis, outsourcing, austerity and brexit in the mixer.

The big problem is people are living too long and the ponzi scheme is creaking. The Tories will never admit that the problem is their core voter.

They'll blame everyone under the sun first.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 03:17:54 am »

Fat
They tried soda tax here in Chicago and people flipped their lids.  Got repealed real quick.

Personally, drinking carbonated sugar water perplexes me.  I mean... maybe with some whiskey in it I guess, but straight soda?  Fattens you up AND rots your teeth?  Why?  Maybe it's just how I was raised.  We never had soda in the house.  Just about the only times I ever drank it was when I went to the movies.  I still associate soda with movies.

Cultural Note Department: When I flew from Chicago to Denver long ago, I asked for a whisk(e)y and soda. In the UK soda is fizzy water. No sugar, no flavouring. What I got was whisky and tonic. Vile stuff. Let's be careful out there. (RIP Steve Bochko.)

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 06:21:58 am »

I gave up sugar three weeks ago. I drink tea all day ,long, so I was getting a lot of sugar into my system. After the first three days I got used to tea without sugar and have lost one kilo.

I cannot drink soft drinks sweetened with saccharine, it leaves such an awful taste in one's mouth all day. It is a considerable problem in the UK, where it seems all soft drinks are sweetened with saccharine, so a tax on drinks with sugar isn't going to help much.
drippinhun

The good old U.S. - living in a kakistocracy

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 07:43:43 am »

I gave up sugar three weeks ago. I drink tea all day ,long, so I was getting a lot of sugar into my system. After the first three days I got used to tea without sugar and have lost one kilo.

I cannot drink soft drinks sweetened with saccharine, it leaves such an awful taste in one's mouth all day. It is a considerable problem in the UK, where it seems all soft drinks are sweetened with saccharine, so a tax on drinks with sugar isn't going to help much.

I only drink water, unsweetened tea or coffee.

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds the criticsms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." Herman Melville.

Trump drains swamp and installs open-air septic tank.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 08:00:48 am »

Saccharine is outmoded now. Infra dig. There are many other artificial sweeteners these days, such as aspartame and Stevia (see Breaking Bad).

Coca Cola Classic is said to have 3g/100ml of sugar. I never touch the stuff.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 08:52:26 am »

It may be outmoded but I suspect it is the cheapest sugar replacement.

Aspartam, no way I would use that shit. Nobody knows that the effects might turn out to be. Stevia is ok, but expensive. BTW: stevia is not an artificial sweetener, it is a natural sweetener.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:42:00 am by Dutch Rosie » Logged
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 08:53:27 am »

I only drink water, unsweetened tea or coffee.

Me, too, plus one glass of wine per day.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 09:12:35 am »

Me, too, plus one glass of wine per day.

Me too except it's a couple of bottles

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 09:21:18 am »

Quote from: Dutch Rosie link=topic=17343.msg400 It has sg400211 date=1523109146
It may be outmoded but I suspect it is the cheapest sugar replacement.

Aspartam, no way I would use that shit. Nobody knows that the effects might turn out to be. Stevia is ok, but expensive.

Apparently saccharin was banned in some countries in the 1980s, and than unbanned. It tastes vile, as you said. I don't drink any fizzy drinks except mineral water and beer. Champagne once a year.

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 10:36:02 am »

Me too except it's a couple of bottles
Shocked  God help your liver.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 03:52:54 am »

Shocked  God help your liver.

Amazingly I have a fully functioning kick arse liver  Cool

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
vladimir

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 12:32:29 pm »

I start my morning with 2 cups of black coffee. I drink unsweetened iced tea with the rest of my meals (I know, most of the UK opposes the concept of iced tea... but as a Southern Californian, it's the only way to drink tea.)  Other than water (and booze) that's pretty much all the liquid intake I get

A wise man said, "You can't step in the same stream twice," but I find wet feet soon get caked with sand and grit.  That's very unpleasant, especially between the toes.  So when I go for a stroll I stay on the sidewalk.
drippinhun

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 05:28:45 pm »

Amazingly I have a fully functioning kick arse liver  Cool

Your doctor is shielding you from the truth.   Grin
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 05:16:40 am by drippinhun » Logged

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds the criticsms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." Herman Melville.

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 04:18:44 am »

Your doctor is shield you from the truth.   Grin

I was amazed it still worked  Cheesy

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Quelor

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 09:39:14 pm »

Connecticut has a de facto tax like that in a 5 cent bottle deposit "tax" on carbonated drinks and water bottles.  I'd have to return the bottles to get that back. But my town also have single stream recycling that I pay for.  It's a bunch of bullshit.   Angry

<o> \o/ <o> \o/ <o> \o/
drippinhun

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 12:34:01 am »

Connecticut has a de facto tax like that in a 5 cent bottle deposit "tax" on carbonated drinks and water bottles.  I'd have to return the bottles to get that back. But my town also have single stream recycling that I pay for.  It's a bunch of bullshit.   Angry

Finding new land and developing it as a landfill isn't inexpensive either. One can pay a tax coming or going.

vladimir

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 08:22:54 am »

Connecticut has a de facto tax like that in a 5 cent bottle deposit "tax" on carbonated drinks and water bottles.  I'd have to return the bottles to get that back.

I remember Corona beer bottles had a '$0.05 Deposit' built in to the price when I was a kid.  We'd scour the parks on Sundays for all the spots where you'd see piñata waste looking for Corona bottles to trade in at the gas station.

Many a Sunday afternoon playing Pac-Man at the Silver Que arcade was funded via this method.

(I think it's also where 'Nickelback' got their name, but don't quote me on that one.)

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 08:42:23 am »

I remember Corona beer bottles had a '$0.05 Deposit' built in to the price when I was a kid.  We'd scour the parks on Sundays for all the spots where you'd see piñata waste looking for Corona bottles to trade in at the gas station.

Many a Sunday afternoon playing Pac-Man at the Silver Que arcade was funded via this method.

(I think it's also where 'Nickelback' got their name, but don't quote me on that one.)

8c on a beer bottle and 25c on plastic here. My record return is about €25  Cool

You should see the olypiastadion on match days, people have shopping trolleys full of bottles.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
TGK

Sex, Drugs and Sausage rolls.

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 10:37:56 pm »

The problem is not solely the patients.

Pfis, outsourcing, austerity and brexit in the mixer.

The big problem is people are living too long and the ponzi scheme is creaking. The Tories will never admit that the problem is their core voter.

They'll blame everyone under the sun first.

Dude.....There is so much wrong with this post, I don't know where to start.....but....the good lord loves a trier......

I'm going to go with this....."The big problem is people are living too long". It really isn't. If it was then we could go back to the good old days when people died young and that would solve the 'problem'. I'm not suggesting you are advocating that, but it's an incredibly lazy argument.

As for 'PFIs, outsourcing, austerity and Brexit' on their own it just looks like lefty bingo.

The Tories won't admit it's their core vote that is the problem.....here we go again, old people are NOT either a problem or the problem. There is a problem, but it's not people being alive.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 12:58:48 am »

Dude.....There is so much wrong with this post, I don't know where to start.....but....the good lord loves a trier......

I'm going to go with this....."The big problem is people are living too long". It really isn't. If it was then we could go back to the good old days when people died young and that would solve the 'problem'. I'm not suggesting you are advocating that, but it's an incredibly lazy argument.

As for 'PFIs, outsourcing, austerity and Brexit' on their own it just looks like lefty bingo.

The Tories won't admit it's their core vote that is the problem.....here we go again, old people are NOT either a problem or the problem. There is a problem, but it's not people being alive.

The biggest stress on the nhs is an ageing population.

What do YOU think it is ? Do you have an opinion or are you just capable of glibly deriding others ?

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: