The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 19, 2018, 06:32:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119326 Posts in 5710 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Russia arming the Taliban
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Russia arming the Taliban  (Read 194 times)
Red Herring

« on: April 03, 2018, 06:13:54 am »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41842285

Hilarious (and ironic?) on so many levels. We seem destined to keep chasing our tails in Afghanistan for eternity. No wonder it's called the Graveyard of Empires.

Red

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 09:51:40 am »

And so it goes.....

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Red Herring

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 10:26:02 am »

And so it goes.....

This is interesting:

The Afghan Taliban have been fighting against IS in Afghanistan and repeatedly assured neighbouring countries, that unlike IS, their armed struggle is limited to Afghanistan. In December 2015, the Russian president's special representative to Afghanistan, Zamir Kabulov, declared that "the Taliban interest objectively coincides with ours" in the fight against IS.

Russia has also suggested the possibility of staging a Syrian-style intervention in Afghanistan if IS gained strength and became a "serious threat" to the stability of Central Asian countries on the pretext of protecting its "backyard".

However, US officials say Moscow uses the IS presence as an excuse to justify its meddling in Afghanistan and to further grow its military influence in Central Asia.

I have images of one of those IS militia going up to the US and saying "give us money and arms 'cos  we're fighting the Taliban and Russia for freedom. Innit?"

I honestly don't think we have a clue who we are fighting against or what we are fighting for. The whole thing is a farce.

Red
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 10:43:28 am »

This is interesting:
I honestly don't think we have a clue who we are fighting against or what we are fighting for. The whole thing is a farce.

This is obviously a job for . . . SuperTone!

Blair should go and stand between IS and Taliban, USA and Russia, and wreak peace among them. I'd pay good money to arrange a drone to video that for posterity.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 04:34:39 am »

This is interesting:

The Afghan Taliban have been fighting against IS in Afghanistan and repeatedly assured neighbouring countries, that unlike IS, their armed struggle is limited to Afghanistan. In December 2015, the Russian president's special representative to Afghanistan, Zamir Kabulov, declared that "the Taliban interest objectively coincides with ours" in the fight against IS.

Russia has also suggested the possibility of staging a Syrian-style intervention in Afghanistan if IS gained strength and became a "serious threat" to the stability of Central Asian countries on the pretext of protecting its "backyard".

However, US officials say Moscow uses the IS presence as an excuse to justify its meddling in Afghanistan and to further grow its military influence in Central Asia.

I have images of one of those IS militia going up to the US and saying "give us money and arms 'cos  we're fighting the Taliban and Russia for freedom. Innit?"

Red

And Afghanistan suffers

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: