The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 09:01:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119326 Posts in 5710 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  London overtakes Newyork in Murder rate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: London overtakes Newyork in Murder rate  (Read 607 times)
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 03:32:44 am »

The internet. Aggressive murdering type thugs can now take out their hate on chat boards or comment sections.

But enough about MrF.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Staffordshire Knot

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2018, 02:02:23 am »

On BBC news this morning: the problem appears to be not a shortage of cops, Staff, but of cops who are reluctant to carry out stop and searches.

I lived in Notting Hill in the 60s and 70s, and despite its bad name, we were never afraid of each other, but were very scared of the cops, who were as spiteful and nasty as hell and framed anyone they fancied, or arrested them and knocked hell out of them back at the station. I was stopped and searched once by a young policewoman, clearly just getting a bit of practice in, since I was perfectly innocent and harmless. Stop and search was not even legal at that time.

The problem is both mate. Cops are not willing to carry out stop and search any more as its not worth the scrutiny, grief and the accusations of racism you can often get as a result. But a reduction of 22,000 plus cops is also a massive factor as we simply are not out in public proactively targeting criminals and crime hotspots anymore.

All we can do know is fire brigade policing and we can barely manage that.

"Rest in Peace my friend and GWD legend AZLumberjack".
Staffordshire Knot

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2018, 02:05:06 am »

Not just murders, but overall crime is drastically down, too.  From what I understand, criminologists don't agree on any reason.  A lot of it was attributed to the adoption of the "broken windows" theory, in that cracking down on visible signs of lawlessness helps create a sense of law and makes major crime less likely.  It was adopted by Guiliani and his new police chief Bill Bratton. But they came in in 93 and crime/murder started declining before that, and some of the policies have since stopped with the current mayor (e.g., stop and frisk ended) and crime is still declining.  I know Bratton has talked about the importance of Compstat, which I wouldn't be able to explain, but basically it computerized statistical data that the police would then use.  Other factors like the end of the crack epidemic and the general health of the economy have also been attributed as cause.  

They recruited a large number additional Cops and also adopted a Zero Tolerance approach in certain areas around crimes but not only that they improved community projects to divert young people away from crime etc.

Staffordshire Knot

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2018, 02:05:52 am »

What is the explanation. if any, for the huge reduction in NY murders since  1990?
They ran out of ammunition?

Myky D

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2018, 03:27:48 am »

Yes - the policing cuts are really being felt around my way - typically enough the Tories simply deny that they have anything to do with crime at all.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: