The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2018, 11:49:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
118605 Posts in 5655 Topics by 87 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Yakutsk
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Yakutsk  (Read 101 times)
Red Herring

« on: March 26, 2018, 07:27:49 am »

So, being a no life nerd that likes to look into these things I got to thinking about the Beast from the East and all this weather it's been sending our way. Turns out we should count ourselves lucky - the people in Yakutsk have it really bad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakutsk#Climate

Yakutsk has the coldest winter temperatures for any major city on Earth. Average monthly temperatures in Yakutsk range from +19.5 °C (67.1 °F) in July to ?38.6 °C (?37.5 °F) in January, and only Norilsk has a lower mean annual temperature for any settlement of over 100,000.[citation needed] Yakutsk is the largest city built on continuous permafrost, and many houses there are built on concrete piles.

The lowest temperatures ever recorded on the planet outside Antarctica occurred in the basin of the Yana River to the northeast of Yakutsk, making it the coldest major city in the world. Although winters are extremely cold and long – Yakutsk has never recorded a temperature above freezing between 10 November and 14 March inclusive

Red
TGK

Sex, Drugs and Sausage rolls.

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 09:13:45 am »

One of those places that I only know where it is because of playing the game 'Risk'.
Biss

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 01:55:28 pm »

Below a certain point, all temperatures look the same.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: