The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2018, 04:21:56 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119364 Posts in 5717 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Football moan....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Football moan....  (Read 401 times)
TGK

Sex, Drugs and Sausage rolls.

« on: March 16, 2018, 11:48:55 am »

Looked for a sports board, couldn't find one (I'm currently winning the GWD Fantasy Football league by the way...though the bloke in last place is second).....Sort of inspired by Mark Hughes getting the Southampton job, though inspired isn't the word.

It's often said that 'foreign' managers coming into the Premiership are stunting the growth/progression of young British coaches.

The problem isn't foreign coaches. It's shit home grown ones. If we take ten clubs, and to be fair they are rarely found in the upper echelons of the league, but say:

Fulham
Blackburn
Crystal Palace
Everton
Newcastle
Southampton
Stoke
Sunderland
West Brom
West Ham

Sam Allardyce has managed six of them.
Alan Pardew has managed five of them.
Mark Hughes has managed four of them.
David Moyes has managed three of them.
Roy Hodgson has managed three of them.
Tony Pulis has managed three of them.

24 top jobs taken by six men with a record in mediocrity at best......but it's the 'foreign' coaches that are stopping young managers.

Harrumph.

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 12:19:13 pm »

Looked for a sports board, couldn't find one (I'm currently winning the GWD Fantasy Football league by the way...though the bloke in last place is second).....Sort of inspired by Mark Hughes getting the Southampton job, though inspired isn't the word.

It's often said that 'foreign' managers coming into the Premiership are stunting the growth/progression of young British coaches.

The problem isn't foreign coaches. It's shit home grown ones. If we take ten clubs, and to be fair they are rarely found in the upper echelons of the league, but say:

Fulham
Blackburn
Crystal Palace
Everton
Newcastle
Southampton
Stoke
Sunderland
West Brom
West Ham

Sam Allardyce has managed six of them.
Alan Pardew has managed five of them.
Mark Hughes has managed four of them.
David Moyes has managed three of them.
Roy Hodgson has managed three of them.
Tony Pulis has managed three of them.

24 top jobs taken by six men with a record in mediocrity at best......but it's the 'foreign' coaches that are stopping young managers.

Harrumph.

Loads of managers in the bundesliga are in their early 40s. Nagelsman is the young poster boy but there are better managers like kovac.

Our sports director is the highest club goal scorer and our manager the most capped. Plus he managed his nation team.

There is the same dross though that just seem to journey from club to club. Some have passed through Hertha for relegation battles.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Red Herring

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 12:19:56 pm »

Maybe we should spend a tonne of money developing a really good AI robot coach.

Red
TGK

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 12:21:25 pm »

Loads of managers in the bundesliga are in their early 40s. Nagelsman is the young poster boy but there are better managers like kovac.

Our sports director is the highest club goal scorer and our manager the most capped. Plus he managed his nation team.

There is the same dross though that just seem to journey from club to club. Some have passed through Hertha for relegation battles.

I have a serious man-crush on Klopp and I don't care who knows it.

I think he'd be firm but gentle.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 12:58:05 pm »

I have a serious man-crush on Klopp and I don't care who knows it.

I think he'd be firm but gentle.

He's a proper players manager.

The weird shit is Thomas Tuschel. Like klopp, left Dortmund and disappeared. A really good manager.

The geriatric at Bayern said he liked him... but then they want nagelsmann

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 06:43:44 am »

He's a proper players manager.

The weird shit is Thomas Tuschel. Like klopp, left Dortmund and disappeared. A really good manager.

The geriatric at Bayern said he liked him... but then they want nagelsmann

Kovac is going to manage bayern. Tuschel i think PSG..

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
El Robbo

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 09:55:45 am »

(I'm currently winning the GWD Fantasy Football league by the way...though the bloke in last place is second)

About time you upped your game after me winning the last 3 seasons in a row  Cool

The problem with the managers is that there's so much cash in the Prem these days, all the diddy wee clubs just want to avoid getting relegated so bring in the boring as fuck old guys who have (mostly) managed to keep clubs in the league but not much else rather than take a risk on somebody. 

The only young managers in the Prem are the foreign ones, which is because the continental clubs give them a chance at a much younger age than here.  Not sure how to solve the problem though.

Link - Be who you want to be, not what you're told you need to be

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed by El Robbo on GWD do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of El Robbo
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 03:11:47 pm »

The only young managers in the Prem are the foreign ones, which is because the continental clubs give them a chance at a much younger age than here.  Not sure how to solve the problem though.

There is your solution....

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
El Robbo

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 03:55:04 pm »

There is your solution....

Would be if you could force clubs to do it, but you can't and they are pretty unlikely to do it themselves - to the hard headed business types running clubs now, the potential losses are too big. 

Link - Be who you want to be, not what you're told you need to be

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed by El Robbo on GWD do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of El Robbo
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 02:35:06 pm »

Would be if you could force clubs to do it, but you can't and they are pretty unlikely to do it themselves - to the hard headed business types running clubs now, the potential losses are too big. 

But german clubs by and large are risk averse...

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
TGK

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 03:59:25 am »

About time you upped your game after me winning the last 3 seasons in a row  Cool

The problem with the managers is that there's so much cash in the Prem these days, all the diddy wee clubs just want to avoid getting relegated so bring in the boring as fuck old guys who have (mostly) managed to keep clubs in the league but not much else rather than take a risk on somebody. 

Congratulations, you are the Arsene Wenger of fantasy football.

On a more serious note, looks like Swansea may hire Graham Potter, sad he had to go to Sweden to build a reputation, but it'd be a wholly positive thing for him to get a relatively top job.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 08:15:43 am »

Congratulations, you are the Arsene Wenger of fantasy football.

On a more serious note, looks like Swansea may hire Graham Potter, sad he had to go to Sweden to build a reputation, but it'd be a wholly positive thing for him to get a relatively top job.

Oh well, he can kiss goodbye to playing in the european cup...

How is swansea a top job ?

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
TGK

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 08:18:48 am »

Oh well, he can kiss goodbye to playing in the european cup...

How is swansea a top job ?

I did say relatively, but whichever way you dress it up being the manager of the 18th best club in the country (at the last count), out of the many thousands that exist is near the top.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 08:24:57 am »

I did say relatively, but whichever way you dress it up being the manager of the 18th best club in the country (at the last count), out of the many thousands that exist is near the top.

Relatively, he's gone from a small country where he enjoyed considerable success in developing a club to european football (fuckers knocked us out) to a small country (wales) which will allow himself to get in the shop window without european football but a bigger paycheck.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
TGK

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 08:36:31 am »

The 'small country' is a misnomer when they play in the English Leagues.

Leaving aside other income, he's walking into a club that will get a reported £40,000,000 parachute payment this year, £35,000,000 the year after if they don't go back up, and £15,000,000 the year after that assuming they still haven't gone back up.

£90,000,000 guaranteed income over three years, and that's if they don't get promoted. Swansea isn't a 'small' club, no side that plays in the premiership is, to suggest otherwise is a bit obtuse.

Regardless of his personal recompense, that sort of budget is nothing he could dream of in Sweden regardless of European qualification (and let's face it, in pure prize money - you get more money for finishing bottom of the EPL than you do for winning the European Cup) , who wouldn't want that opportunity?

Course, it could all go the way of Sunderland (sorry - couldn't resist).
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 09:32:28 am »

The 'small country' is a misnomer when they play in the English Leagues.

Leaving aside other income, he's walking into a club that will get a reported £40,000,000 parachute payment this year, £35,000,000 the year after if they don't go back up, and £15,000,000 the year after that assuming they still haven't gone back up.

£90,000,000 guaranteed income over three years, and that's if they don't get promoted. Swansea isn't a 'small' club, no side that plays in the premiership is, to suggest otherwise is a bit obtuse.

Regardless of his personal recompense, that sort of budget is nothing he could dream of in Sweden regardless of European qualification (and let's face it, in pure prize money - you get more money for finishing bottom of the EPL than you do for winning the European Cup) , who wouldn't want that opportunity?

Course, it could all go the way of Sunderland (sorry - couldn't resist).

So you are equating the stupid money in the epl with size ? What can you get with that sort of budet in Epl ?

Bournemouth
Brighton & Hove
Burnley
Crystal Palace
Huddersfield
Watford

It is obtuse to suggest these are not as you say top relative top clubs ? You're having a laff.

The jewels in the cream league of europe

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
TGK

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 12:25:05 pm »

So you are equating the stupid money in the epl with size ? What can you get with that sort of budet in Epl ?

Bournemouth
Brighton & Hove
Burnley
Crystal Palace
Huddersfield
Watford

It is obtuse to suggest these are not as you say top relative top clubs ? You're having a laff.

The jewels in the cream league of europe

Err....they are all amongst the top 20 football teams in a country that has thousands of football teams. Don't make me do the percentile maths. How are they not top football teams? Your perception?

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 05:53:45 am »

Err....they are all amongst the top 20 football teams in a country that has thousands of football teams. Don't make me do the percentile maths. How are they not top football teams? Your perception?

Based on resource

Clubs are where they are based on resources, the top 4-8 clubs in european leagues tend to be the richest and bye and large the most successfull and generally stable. The others are interchangeable filler generally just hoping to stay up to milk the cash cow for a season or so.

Managed by the top filler managers you mentioned elsewhere

The only difference these days is teams can progress if they are bankrolled. Which is probably why the likes of Bournemouth or in my league's case Hoffenheim and Leipzig are where they are.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 03:33:07 pm »

Dodgy keeper  animated laugh

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
TGK

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2018, 06:00:52 pm »

Dodgy keeper  animated laugh

Yeah yeah yeah. Enjoy league one.

All banter aside, horrible to see a guy crumble.

There's a special place reserved in hell for Sergio Ramos, but I had to applaud Bale.

"If you can treat triumph and disaster" etc etc.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 12:44:18 am »

Yeah yeah yeah. Enjoy league one.

All banter aside, horrible to see a guy crumble.

There's a special place reserved in hell for Sergio Ramos, but I had to applaud Bale.

"If you can treat triumph and disaster" etc etc.

I know, how the hell do you get up from that?

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: