The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2018, 11:49:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
118605 Posts in 5655 Topics by 87 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  US Gun Control
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: US Gun Control  (Read 485 times)
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2018, 01:57:25 am »

We have had only four years in the long history of our country where we weren't engaged in some military conflict. We are war mongers.

BTW, I hear Britain is also having a problem with obesity.

Indeed it is, Drip. The same pattern as the US: people live on fast foods and the dining table at home is no longer used for family meals.

Weyland, 15 kilos, that's fantastic, well done!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2018, 04:51:46 am »

Indeed it is, Drip. The same pattern as the US: people live on fast foods and the dining table at home is no longer used for family meals.

Weyland, 15 kilos, that's fantastic, well done!

No sugar, a bit less food, more walking and cycling. No great hardship. Even cycling 3km to the pub helps.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
vladimir

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2018, 10:33:57 am »

I started going to the gym on my lunch breaks again.  Not doing as well as you but I did manage to shave off 5 kilos so far (if I'm doing my math right... just over 10 pounds.)

Still working on it though.  Gotta look my best when I get to London in September.

A wise man said, "You can't step in the same stream twice," but I find wet feet soon get caked with sand and grit.  That's very unpleasant, especially between the toes.  So when I go for a stroll I stay on the sidewalk.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2018, 10:50:37 am »

I started going to the gym on my lunch breaks again.  Not doing as well as you but I did manage to shave off 5 kilos so far (if I'm doing my math right... just over 10 pounds.)

Still working on it though.  Gotta look my best when I get to London in September.

I'm not svelte though. Yet.

What dates in September? I'm asking because I'll be in NL near the end of September. If your dates are good for me, I can overnight in London on the way from / return  to Wales. (Ferry port is Harwich.)

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
vladimir

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2018, 01:22:14 pm »

Planning on September 19th through the 25th

A wise man said, "You can't step in the same stream twice," but I find wet feet soon get caked with sand and grit.  That's very unpleasant, especially between the toes.  So when I go for a stroll I stay on the sidewalk.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2018, 07:37:21 am »

I started going to the gym on my lunch breaks again.  Not doing as well as you but I did manage to shave off 5 kilos so far (if I'm doing my math right... just over 10 pounds.)

Still working on it though.  Gotta look my best when I get to London in September.

I shifted 7kg in 2 weeks. Dead easy I just pissed it away.

It's called the type 2 diabetes diet   animated laugh

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Staffordshire Knot

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2018, 01:05:09 am »

Of course, the 2nd Amendment flows from the English Bill of Rights, and the provision there about the right of Protestants to bear arms.  So, yeah, it's tied up into that era of history re: the English Civil War, Cromwell, the Restoration, and then the Glorious Revolution.  I don't think Cromwell himself was too much on the minds of the drafters of the US Bill of Rights, though, outside of as an example of tyranny and despotism.  Meaning, I don't think they worried more about an individual becoming a tyrant over a government.  Added to that is the understanding or belief that the US Bill of Rights are inalienable or natural rights that cannot be given or taken away.  I know that's not favorable in UK or Continental thought, before anyone quotes Bentham at me, but that was the prevailing philosophy at the time, and its remained so here, and so is the framework we have to work in.

I don't think there's a prevailing thought that "all guns are bad" on the gun control side insofar as some type of argument for a comprehensive ban or confiscation of all guns.  That's NRA dictated fear mongering about a slippery slope.  The current discussion is about "bump stocks" to facilitate and simulate automatic fire (which the shooter in Las Vegas used), the size of magazines, having back ground checks for sales online and at gun shows to match private retailers, raising the federal age to purchase a long rifle to 21 to match the requirement for hand-guns, and restricting against certain types of arms like Uzis, per your example.  Non of that really should be controversial, but it is because of the zero-sum game played by the NRA, who equate all of that as early steps to a ban and grab of all guns.  It all becomes a non-starter, which is why we get fucking crazy talk about arming teachers in schools, instead.

The NRA are a terrorist organisation.

"Rest in Peace my friend and GWD legend AZLumberjack".
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: