The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2018, 05:45:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119111 Posts in 5696 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Off to Gambia again next week
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Off to Gambia again next week  (Read 383 times)
Dutch Rosie

« on: March 12, 2018, 04:43:15 pm »

Can't wait to see all my friends again and enjoy the sunshine and good company.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 07:13:33 am »

Can't wait to see all my friends again and enjoy the sunshine and good company.

Try not to break anything....

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 07:23:47 am »

Try not to break anything....

I still have one real hip to break. Maybe it would be better to have matching false hips...
vladimir

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 08:46:10 am »

Tell everyone I said "hi."

I realize that's 2,163,765 people, but if you do it in large enough groups it shouldn't be a problem.

A wise man said, "You can't step in the same stream twice," but I find wet feet soon get caked with sand and grit.  That's very unpleasant, especially between the toes.  So when I go for a stroll I stay on the sidewalk.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 10:08:11 am »

It might be 3 million by the time I get there, Vlad (the population is very rapidly growing and the country will be bursting at the seams by 2050) but I will do my best to convey your good wishes.  Cheesy
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 10:59:56 am »

You might like this, Rosie, and I dare say your Gambian friends might be interested as well . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09v0xbs

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 11:38:33 am »

Thanks, Weyland. It is certainly interesting for me, but none of my Gambian friends have internet access, so they won't be able to read it.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 11:45:51 am »

Thanks, Weyland. It is certainly interesting for me, but none of my Gambian friends have internet access, so they won't be able to read it.

Read it? You could download the audio file and play it for them on your smartphone or other device. It's a 30-minute radio programme.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Snotty

Science Fiction rules,you know it makes sense

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 12:06:24 pm »

Have a good time Smiley

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 12:45:10 pm »

Read it? You could download the audio file and play it for them on your smartphone or other device. It's a 30-minute radio programme.

It"s a case of the blind leading the blind, Weyland: They don"t have the money for technology and I don"t even own a mobile phone. Grin

Very simple people, living in compounds, no electricity, no running water in most cases and no money for anything. Only one of my friends is educated and middle class. One of my women friends is her polygamous husband's 3rd wife. She has 7 children and has to provide for everyone, including the other wives. She works from 7 am till 10 pm in her little shop, with her baby and toddlers around her. Her baby was named Jan in honour of my partner.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:19:52 pm by Dutch Rosie » Logged
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 01:21:24 pm »

Have a good time Smiley

Thank you, Snotty, I always have  good time there, even when I fell and broke my hip. Grin
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 03:03:48 pm »

It"s a case of the blind leading the blind, Weyland: They don"t have the money for technology and I don"t even own a mobile phone. Grin

You don't know what you're missing, Rosie. Trust me.

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 03:05:42 pm »

I do, endless phone calls. No thanks.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 03:34:28 pm »

I do, endless phone calls. No thanks.

I hardly ever use my smartphone for calls. It can do so much more, such as displaying photos and videos and playing music and downloaded radio programmes like the one I indicated. And ebooks, including Kindle books. There are thousands of free ebooks available online, such as the complete works of Shakespeare, Dickens, Trollope, James, Wells, Austen, the Brontës, Bible, Koran, and many more.

And a helluva lot more, even forgetting phone calls.

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 07:14:31 am »

Got home last night, after a two hour flight delay and jumping the passport queue, to the great indignation of other travelers

Had a great time, best ever. Lots of building going on so Mr Barrow seems to be doing a reasonable job. I asked a lot of people how things were now in the country and the main advantage seems to be democracy and freedom to say anything you like without fear of being picked up in the middle of the night by police.
Rasta

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 11:25:42 am »

Bournemouth > Gambia

...the snare is set.

You gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get into that boy's soul
Red Herring

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 12:47:12 pm »

Bournemouth > Gambia

...the snare is set.

Bournemouth > Everywhere.

Red
Pages: [1] Print