The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2018, 11:13:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
118778 Posts in 5673 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  The Oscars
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Oscars  (Read 404 times)
vladimir

« on: March 01, 2018, 10:27:13 am »

I've totally lost the ability to sit through it.  It's  not the hosts, it's not the length.  It's sitting here watching Hollywood pat itself on the back for being super good at recording themselves playing make-believe.  The older I get... the less capable I am of caring about fame and celebrities.  Actors, musicians, sports figures... It's just not there for me.

Am I turning in to a cranky old man?

A wise man said, "You can't step in the same stream twice," but I find wet feet soon get caked with sand and grit.  That's very unpleasant, especially between the toes.  So when I go for a stroll I stay on the sidewalk.
Snotty

Science Fiction rules,you know it makes sense

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 10:51:52 am »

You are,but never mind,I am too.

Mind you,I hope Get Out,wins everything,very creepy Sci Fi\Horror,dunno if you’ve seen it or not,but it’s like a cross between guess whose coming to dinner and the stepford wives Cool Cool Shocked

Well worth seeing,infact I might watch it again tonight Smiley

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 11:02:58 am »

I've totally lost the ability to sit through it.  It's  not the hosts, it's not the length.  It's sitting here watching Hollywood pat itself on the back for being super good at recording themselves playing make-believe.  The older I get... the less capable I am of caring about fame and celebrities.  Actors, musicians, sports figures... It's just not there for me.

What bewilders me is the way American audiences scream hysterically at "celebs", even Doctor Phil and Ellen Degenerous  -- even the Kardashians, who are not performing artists at all and have nothing out of the ordinary except fat arses, yet crowds await them everywhere and scream like maniacs. What the hell is behind all this stuff?
Snotty

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 11:09:46 am »

Any Oscars won is due to God.

vladimir

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 12:21:53 pm »

You are,but never mind,I am too.

Mind you,I hope Get Out,wins everything,very creepy Sci Fi\Horror,dunno if you’ve seen it or not,but it’s like a cross between guess whose coming to dinner and the stepford wives Cool Cool Shocked

Well worth seeing,infact I might watch it again tonight Smiley

Seems the old guard won't even watch it:
http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3486245/get-snubbed-older-academy-voters-not-oscar-film/

A wise man said, "You can't step in the same stream twice," but I find wet feet soon get caked with sand and grit.  That's very unpleasant, especially between the toes.  So when I go for a stroll I stay on the sidewalk.
Snotty

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 12:25:03 pm »

What a load of tossers,not arty farty  enough for them,it’s not exactly La La land,Snobby load of twats,and it’s a film people want to actually see Sad

Have you seen it Vlad?

Rasta

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 01:21:20 pm »

Ditto the Grammys, the Emmys, and the Miss America/Universe pageants.

I don't just think it's us. I think, for the most part, society is evolving past this nonsense. I remember as a kid, these were all such huge events - you'd put aside the evening, order some pizza, and gather around the telly. Back then people actually cared who won these things. Outside of the People Magazine demographic, I think most people couldn't give a shit less who wins. The younger (>30) folks sure don't and even those of ~ 50 have given up. I absolutely love the movies. Couldn't give a squirt who wins what.

I suspect it has something to do with the proliferation of electronic media entertainment. Performances and celebrities are being discussed and judged on a continual, round-the-clock, cycle. Not many people are anxiously awaiting for an entire year to find out the supreme and final judgment of the Academy (whomever the fuck that is).

You gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get into that boy's soul
Rasta

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 01:24:43 pm »

What bewilders me is the way American audiences scream hysterically at "celebs", even Doctor Phil and Ellen Degenerous  -- even the Kardashians, who are not performing artists at all and have nothing out of the ordinary except fat arses, yet crowds await them everywhere and scream like maniacs. What the hell is behind all this stuff?

Whatever that's behind it is the same force behind us, as a people, electing Donald Trump as our supreme leader. Donald Trump.

If all of our lives weren't in imminent danger, I'd find all of this beyond fucking hilarious.

You gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get into that boy's soul
vladimir

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 01:30:30 pm »

Have you seen it Vlad?

Not yet.  Plan on it though.  I've only heard good things.

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 04:53:57 am »

Yes  Cheesy

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Mr Angry

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 05:34:03 pm »

The Oscars come just behind taxi fares in Kabul on my list of pressing concerns.

Don't believe everything you think.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 03:18:04 pm »

Jesus wept: tonight the crowds on the streets were screaming like hell for cast members of Teen Mom OG. I wonder what they find so attractive about 16 year old idiots who get pregnant at 16...
TGK

Sex, Drugs and Sausage rolls.

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 05:37:33 pm »

Yeah, I'm the same. It's the width.
Quelor

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 12:04:18 pm »

I suspect it has something to do with the proliferation of electronic media entertainment. Performances and celebrities are being discussed and judged on a continual, round-the-clock, cycle. Not many people are anxiously awaiting for an entire year to find out the supreme and final judgment of the Academy (whomever the fuck that is).

That's what I was going to say...although not necessarily just about electronic media, but about mass media.  Back in the old-timey day, the main award shows were the only time someone saw an artist, really, outside the context of their art form.  Now, every tool can see what Tom Cruise is doing on Instagram. 

Same thing with all-star games in sports.

<o> \o/ <o> \o/ <o> \o/
drippinhun

The good old U.S. - living in a kakistocracy

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 06:56:46 pm »

I agree. As long as we have Macca, who gives a damn about all the rest?

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds the criticsms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." Herman Melville.

Trump drains swamp and installs open-air septic tank.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: