The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 19, 2018, 06:37:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119326 Posts in 5710 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Brexit -- UK leaving the European Union
| | | |-+  To add some balance....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: To add some balance....  (Read 596 times)
TGK

Sex, Drugs and Sausage rolls.

« on: February 25, 2018, 06:14:12 am »

Much has been made on these pages of Brexit claims by Farage, Gove and Johnson, and they aren't my natural bedfellows particularly in relation to the £350 million for the NHS (and don't get me started on that), but let's take a look at this. Just for balance.

https://www.ft.com/content/a7739ec4-04c2-11e6-a70d-4e39ac32c284

The treasury, which just before the financial meltdown in 2007/8 described Britain's fiscal position as 'healthy' somehow believes that it could in 2016, predict accurately what the situation would be 14 years later. It's just laughable. it's beyond derision.

The Treasury was so confident, it didn't predict £4000 worse off, it didn't predict £5000 worse off. It predicted £4300. That seems like an accurate number. Accurate numbers are believable you see. It feels like it's been worked out, and not just dreamt up.

I appreciate this is a remain board, or an overwhelmingly remain board, but to say the referendum was lost due to lies, when we have the actual treasury spewing this balls, you need to look at other reasons why you lost the argument.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 10:26:40 am »

Much has been made on these pages of Brexit claims by Farage, Gove and Johnson, and they aren't my natural bedfellows particularly in relation to the £350 million for the NHS (and don't get me started on that), but let's take a look at this. Just for balance.

https://www.ft.com/content/a7739ec4-04c2-11e6-a70d-4e39ac32c284

The treasury, which just before the financial meltdown in 2007/8 described Britain's fiscal position as 'healthy' somehow believes that it could in 2016, predict accurately what the situation would be 14 years later. It's just laughable. it's beyond derision.

The Treasury was so confident, it didn't predict £4000 worse off, it didn't predict £5000 worse off. It predicted £4300. That seems like an accurate number. Accurate numbers are believable you see. It feels like it's been worked out, and not just dreamt up.

I appreciate this is a remain board, or an overwhelmingly remain board, but to say the referendum was lost due to lies, when we have the actual treasury spewing this balls, you need to look at other reasons why you lost the argument.

It was lost due to decades of right wing media bollocks

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
TGK

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 06:24:44 pm »

And yet the referendum was lost on the left, not the right. It must have been all those Labour voters who read The Telegraph wot won it.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 03:35:00 am »

And yet the referendum was lost on the left, not the right. It must have been all those Labour voters who read The Telegraph wot won it.

Can you ever recall a single positive article about the eu?

Complacency cost the referendum.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
TGK

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 04:16:04 pm »

Can you ever recall a single positive article about the eu?

Complacency cost the referendum.

Sorry fella, you've replied twice, and in those two replies you've offered up "right wing media bollocks", and "complacency" as two singular answers. Not being funny but do you fancy formulating a coherent argument, because I could have replied to those singularly and looked a bit silly.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 04:01:43 am »

Sorry fella, you've replied twice, and in those two replies you've offered up "right wing media bollocks", and "complacency" as two singular answers. Not being funny but do you fancy formulating a coherent argument, because I could have replied to those singularly and looked a bit silly.

Leave
Poor traditional former industrial and neglected areas, traditional Labour enclaves spoon fed anti eu rhetoric in the gutter press.
Elitist neo conservatives and ukipers spreading a media campaign of fear and lies.
Plus the gamon faced haters

Remain
A disenfranchised youth detached from political engagement.
No real leader, tony Blair did more harm than good.
Old skool Labour and nu Labour fragmented.

There are no winners here

The leave and remain ideologies will never find common ground, thanks to the pig head fucker appeasing the skipper threat. There are fractures all over the place that will take years to heal.

Need I go on ?

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
TGK

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 09:41:19 am »

Leave
Poor traditional former industrial and neglected areas, traditional Labour enclaves spoon fed anti eu rhetoric in the gutter press.
Elitist neo conservatives and ukipers spreading a media campaign of fear and lies.
Plus the gamon faced haters

Remain
A disenfranchised youth detached from political engagement.
No real leader, tony Blair did more harm than good.
Old skool Labour and nu Labour fragmented.

There are no winners here

The leave and remain ideologies will never find common ground, thanks to the pig head fucker appeasing the skipper threat. There are fractures all over the place that will take years to heal.

Need I go on ?

We need to talk about the definition of 'coherent'.

I mean, try as I might.......

"The leave and remain ideologies will never find common ground, thanks to the pig head fucker appeasing the skipper threat."

So now it's the fault of the 'pig head fucker', now a new reason spewed up by the bitter (step forward and take a bow for being the third reason for Brexit), by which I'm pretty certain you are referring to the hugely remain Prime Minister, for daring to even ask the question of the populace?

Huh?

The 'pig head fucker' properly campaigned to remain, the other party leader was appalling in campaigning for Remain, the referendum was lost on the left, but it was 'pig head fucker' who resigned on a matter of principal.

Nasty pig head fucker.

I'm trying not to laugh, the actual situation isn't funny, but there's very little not to laugh about your stated 'position'.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:56:40 pm by TGK » Logged
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 07:13:06 am »

We need to talk about the definition of 'coherent'.

I mean, try as I might.......

"The leave and remain ideologies will never find common ground, thanks to the pig head fucker appeasing the skipper threat."

So now it's the fault of the 'pig head fucker', now a new reason spewed up by the bitter (step forward and take a bow for being the third reason for Brexit), by which I'm pretty certain you are referring to the hugely remain Prime Minister, for daring to even ask the question of the populace?

Huh?

The 'pig head fucker' properly campaigned to remain, the other party leader was appalling in campaigning for Remain, the referendum was lost on the left, but it was 'pig head fucker' who resigned on a matter of principal.

Nasty pig head fucker.

I'm trying not to laugh, the actual situation isn't funny, but there's very little not to laugh about your stated 'position'.

The only position I have now is asset management.

I don't give a fuck what mess the people have voted themselves in to. I can take early retirement in 2 years, a tanked £ works for me  Cool

Forget coherent, consider systemic.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
TGK

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 05:28:01 pm »

The only position I have now is asset management.

I don't give a fuck what mess the people have voted themselves in to. I can take early retirement in 2 years, a tanked £ works for me  Cool

Forget coherent, consider systemic.

Can't help but feel there's a body of work on these pages that suggests otherwise.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 09:39:48 am »

Can't help but feel there's a body of work on these pages that suggests otherwise.

The man doth protest too much

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
mikado

a Nineteenth Century pseudo-Oriental nightmare

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 12:54:44 pm »

It was lost due to decades of right wing media bollocks

Unfortunately it was lost due to the EU not being all that great for the UK. The right wing media wouldn't have got any traction if people didn't find anything in the media that resonated.

If you ignore the reasons people voted "leave" you're going to keep on losing.

No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 11:37:48 pm »

Unfortunately it was lost due to the EU not being all that great for the UK. The right wing media wouldn't have got any traction if people didn't find anything in the media that resonated.

If you ignore the reasons people voted "leave" you're going to keep on losing.

Doesnt look like it these days Huh??

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: