The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2018, 05:00:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119122 Posts in 5697 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  You had one job....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: You had one job....  (Read 530 times)
TGK

Sex, Drugs and Sausage rolls.

« on: February 19, 2018, 04:51:19 am »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43110910

Personally, I always find after thinking I haven't had a KFC in a while, that when I do I'm underwhelmed.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 06:35:00 am »

KFC is the only fast food I ever really liked, and I haven't had any for donkey's years. My daughter says that I am delusional in claiming that they used to serve little pots of mashed potatoes. She says they never did and have always  served fries.

I'm not surprised they broke with DSL. I saw a documentary about DSL just the other day which showed their performance and systems to be abysmal.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 09:31:23 am by Dutch Rosie » Logged
Mr Angry

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 06:39:59 am »

Haven't had a KFC since Col Sanders stopped shaving, so can't say I'm heartbroken.  Only chain fast "food" franchise in my town is Subway, and that struggles against locals making sandwiches out of actual bread and stuff.  

Don't believe everything you think.
vladimir

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 08:41:06 am »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43110910

Personally, I always find after thinking I haven't had a KFC in a while, that when I do I'm underwhelmed.

I've pretty much stopped fast food altogether.  I liked KFC when I was a kid (back when it was full words)... I don't know if the food has gotten worse or my palate has evolved but last time I tried it, the chicken was horribly greasy, the bread was somehow simultaneously dry as a desert yet overwhelmingly buttery and the potatoes tasted like something that came out of a petri dish.

I don't think I'll be going back.

A wise man said, "You can't step in the same stream twice," but I find wet feet soon get caked with sand and grit.  That's very unpleasant, especially between the toes.  So when I go for a stroll I stay on the sidewalk.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 11:46:22 am »

I had never had kfc until I moved back to the uk in 2011. Had a bucket, it was fucking awful. Lo grade chicken laced with salt.

Glee...

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 11:48:19 am »

I've pretty much stopped fast food altogether.  I liked KFC when I was a kid (back when it was full words)... I don't know if the food has gotten worse or my palate has evolved but last time I tried it, the chicken was horribly greasy, the bread was somehow simultaneously dry as a desert yet overwhelmingly buttery and the potatoes tasted like something that came out of a petri dish.

Kebabs in Germany are ace.. fast food generally is tippy toppy

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Mr Angry

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 01:36:00 pm »

Just down the road where I lived (near Hanau) was a kiosk that did a giros kebab that was bloody gourmet.  Meaty crunchy spicy fabulousness in delicious Turkish fladenbrot.  Amazing.

Don't believe everything you think.
What Larks

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 01:30:31 am »

Every meal should come with a description of the life of a KFC chicken, a bit like health warnings on cigarette packets.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.”
― Dorothy Parker
TGK

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 05:28:07 pm »

I bet you are still able to get shit ones.

TGK

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 05:04:29 am »

Also had an issue with the description of closing 'restaurants'. Really? May as well label the local kebab outlet as a 'gastro-van'.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 05:52:20 am by TGK » Logged
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 10:11:25 am »

I bet you are still able to get shit ones.

I haven't had one in a long time.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
TGK

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 04:17:23 am »

A bad one, or a kebab?
Red Herring

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 10:57:04 am »

KFC is the only fast food I ever really liked, and I haven't had any for donkey's years. My daughter says that I am delusional in claiming that they used to serve little pots of mashed potatoes. She says they never did and have always  served fries.

Send this to your daughter:

https://www.kfc.com/menu/sides/mashed-potatoes-and-gravy

That'll learn her.

Red
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 11:12:16 am »

Quote from: RedArmy
I haven't had one in a long time.

A bad one, or a kebab?

I thought he meant he hadn't had a shit for a long time.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 11:35:14 am »

Send this to your daughter:

https://www.kfc.com/menu/sides/mashed-potatoes-and-gravy

That'll learn her.

Red

Thanks, it's on its way. Grin
Rasta

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 12:21:22 pm »

I've pretty much stopped fast food altogether.  I liked KFC when I was a kid (back when it was full words)... I don't know if the food has gotten worse or my palate has evolved but last time I tried it, the chicken was horribly greasy, the bread was somehow simultaneously dry as a desert yet overwhelmingly buttery and the potatoes tasted like something that came out of a petri dish.

I have the same childhood memories of KFC being good. Which is the same for many things from childhood - good memories, but revisiting them in adulthood ends up in huge disappointment.

We were poor as shit when I was a kid, so when mom's payday came, she would take us either to KFC, Arby's, or Long John Silvers. Man, it was like going to Disneyland. We would wait patiently for her to get home and it was like heaven walking in the doors of any of those places. Probably because when you eat mostly pinto beans, rice and potatoes the rest of the week...

But yeah, now all of the aforementioned are synonymous with future diarrhea. You're not coming out of any of them without your face being glazed like a donut with grease.

You gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get into that boy's soul
vladimir

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 11:54:59 am »

I have the same childhood memories of KFC being good. Which is the same for many things from childhood - good memories, but revisiting them in adulthood ends up in huge disappointment.

We were poor as shit when I was a kid, so when mom's payday came, she would take us either to KFC, Arby's, or Long John Silvers. Man, it was like going to Disneyland. We would wait patiently for her to get home and it was like heaven walking in the doors of any of those places. Probably because when you eat mostly pinto beans, rice and potatoes the rest of the week...

But yeah, now all of the aforementioned are synonymous with future diarrhea. You're not coming out of any of them without your face being glazed like a donut with grease.

Yeah... some of it can be blamed on no longer having a child's palette but a lot of it is simply, modern fast food is grotesque.  I worked at Taco Bell when they went from serving real food to Frankenfood.  Memories of 70s taco Bell might have a tinge of nostalgia making it seem better... but it was also simply better in those days.  Fresh vegetables, actual cheese, meat cooked that day, refried pinto beans for the refried beans, taco shells created on site that morning.  None of that is true of post 1989 Taco Bell.  It's all about reducing the bottom line, but the quality has suffered.  Greatly.

A wise man said, "You can't step in the same stream twice," but I find wet feet soon get caked with sand and grit.  That's very unpleasant, especially between the toes.  So when I go for a stroll I stay on the sidewalk.
Rasta

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 04:39:55 pm »

Yeah... some of it can be blamed on no longer having a child's palette but a lot of it is simply, modern fast food is grotesque.  I worked at Taco Bell when they went from serving real food to Frankenfood.  Memories of 70s taco Bell might have a tinge of nostalgia making it seem better... but it was also simply better in those days.  Fresh vegetables, actual cheese, meat cooked that day, refried pinto beans for the refried beans, taco shells created on site that morning.  None of that is true of post 1989 Taco Bell.  It's all about reducing the bottom line, but the quality has suffered.  Greatly.

Oh, I think that's totally true.

I remember Burrito Supremes being huge. I'm quite sure it's not just because my hands and mouth are bigger now. That shit is tiny now. Same with Arby's sandwiches - my memories say that they were enormous. Now it would take about 4 of those little things to fill me up.

...and the quality? Sheesh. It's just pure shit.

There are some fast food places that are much better than the usual ghetto spots - Jimmy Johns, Baja Fresh, McAllisters, Chipotle, Qdoba, Noodles and Company.

You gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get into that boy's soul
Sidney Prescott

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2018, 03:07:09 am »

I've never been overly impressed by KFC, but as it happened to be the last meal I ever ate with my Dad, I'm unlikely to go near it again.

Hope you enjoyed the movie.
vladimir

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2018, 10:21:34 am »

There are some fast food places that are much better than the usual ghetto spots - Jimmy Johns, Baja Fresh, McAllisters, Chipotle, Qdoba, Noodles and Company.

I won't do Jimmy Johns.  The quality is decent but the company owner is a big game hunter.  I can't give my money to that kind of person.  I'm not like a hard core vegetarian.  Kill an animal, eat it... that's fine.  I'll even have fish myself every now and then... kill an animal just for the joy of making the kill?  That's a disturbed individual in my book

vladimir

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2018, 10:22:25 am »

I've never been overly impressed by KFC, but as it happened to be the last meal I ever ate with my Dad, I'm unlikely to go near it again.

I wouldn't either in that case (even if the food was palatable)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: