The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 19, 2018, 06:06:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119361 Posts in 5717 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Flat Earthers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Flat Earthers  (Read 1103 times)
Mr Angry

« on: February 11, 2018, 10:37:42 am »

They really exist.  I actually met one the other day.  He really, genuinely, believes tbat the accumulated knowledge of the last 3000 years is a lia, a vast conspiracy, although he doesn't seem to know what this conspiracy is actually for.  Astomishingly, he is able to dress himself too.

Don't believe everything you think.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 03:59:14 am »

The father of the writer Edmund Goss was the UK's greatest geologist. Unfortunately he was converted by a group of low-brow born againers who insisted that the earth was merely some 3,000 years old. Goss claimed that God had just made the earth look old to confound scientists. Nevertheless his academic reputation was destroyed.
What Larks

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 08:13:11 am »

Tssk.  He didn't read his bible properly  or he would have known that Earth is 6,000 years old, not 3,000.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.”
― Dorothy Parker
vladimir

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 09:00:28 am »

They really exist.  I actually met one the other day.  He really, genuinely, believes tbat the accumulated knowledge of the last 3000 years is a lia, a vast conspiracy, although he doesn't seem to know what this conspiracy is actually for.  Astomishingly, he is able to dress himself too.

What blows my mind is the fact that all these people can get together and organize and so forth (one of them is even building a home made rocket to blast himself so high he can claim Earth being round is BS because he can't see a curve...of course, he's planning to go one mile up and the curve can't be seen until 7 miles but whatever) but they can't seem to pool enough money to purchase a plane, fly to the edge of the world and take a photo.

( ?° ?? ?°)
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 03:15:01 pm »

Tssk.  He didn't read his bible properly  or he would have known that Earth is 6,000 years old, not 3,000.

Probably my mistake not theirs. As if it mattered.
What Larks

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 10:24:06 am »

That was intended tongue-in-cheek, Rosie!

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.”
― Dorothy Parker
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 11:02:34 am »

Yeah, the difference between the two is probably a tiny fraction of one percent of the real age of the planet.
Mr Angry

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 11:34:12 am »

The real surpise for me about these half-wits is their willful denial of simple facts.  Every one of their arguments against the simplest refutations of their imbecilic conviction requires not just that the laws of physics are different from what they demonstrably are, but that thousands of people have been lying to us, for centuries, for no clear reason.  Oh, and there's a. second, invisible moon by the way.  We haven't been to that one either.

Snotty

Science Fiction rules,you know it makes sense

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 11:20:05 am »

They tell the truth Cool

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 11:27:50 am »

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Staffordshire Knot

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 03:11:03 am »

The way science is developing I wouldn't be surprised if we are all wrong about the world being round and it turns out to be triangular. animated laugh

"Rest in Peace my friend and GWD legend AZLumberjack".
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 05:48:44 am »

The way science is developing I wouldn't be surprised if we are all wrong about the world being round and it turns out to be triangular. animated laugh

Bloody hell, it's the dibble  Shocked

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Staffordshire Knot

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 06:07:23 am »

Bloody hell, it's the dibble  Shocked

Heard you all been misbehaving.

"Rest in Peace my friend and GWD legend AZLumberjack".
Snotty

Science Fiction rules,you know it makes sense

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 02:07:24 pm »

What blows my mind is the fact that all these people can get together and organize and so forth (one of them is even building a home made rocket to blast himself so high he can claim Earth being round is BS because he can't see a curve...of course, he's planning to go one mile up and the curve can't be seen until 7 miles but whatever) but they can't seem to pool enough money to purchase a plane, fly to the edge of the world and take a photo.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/25/flat-earther-blasts-california-sky-homemade-steam-powered-rocket/

Red Herring

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 07:08:30 am »

The real surpise for me about these half-wits is their willful denial of simple facts.  Every one of their arguments against the simplest refutations of their imbecilic conviction requires not just that the laws of physics are different from what they demonstrably are, but that thousands of people have been lying to us, for centuries, for no clear reason.  Oh, and there's a. second, invisible moon by the way.  We haven't been to that one either.

Hi Angry,

Have you ever tried standing on the under side of a basket ball? It doesn't work - you fall off. God knows, it's hard enough standing on top of one.

Same principle applies to the Earth - it can't be round because if it was then anybody below the Equator would plummet into space, and the poor sods living just above the Equator would be hanging on for dear life.

The Earth is, in fact, an infinite plain - extending forever in all directions. Our terrain repeats itself, as does the life on that terrain. So when Mr. Angry circumnavigates the world he actually arrives in an adjacent Scotland (let's say Scotland number 2). He believes it is Scotland number 1 because all his friends and family are there (including a GWD number 2) who all saw Mr. Angry number 2 depart. However Mr. Angry number 2 is in fact in Scotland number 3 posting on GWD 3, and so on and so forth.

Obviously all of this is a bit much for our frail minds to comprehend - the infinite is quite big after all. Which is why, when we view the Earth from space our mind elides the infinite and gives us a nice edited version so instead of appearing to be the infinite plain that it is, the Earth looks like a nice bite sized disc.

I hope that's helped clarify things for you. Don't hesitate to ask if any of it doesn't make sense :-)

Red
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 08:25:44 am »

Hi Angry,

Have you ever tried standing on the under side of a basket ball? It doesn't work - you fall off. God knows, it's hard enough standing on top of one.

Same principle applies to the Earth - it can't be round because if it was then anybody below the Equator would plummet into space, and the poor sods living just above the Equator would be hanging on for dear life.

The Earth is, in fact, an infinite plain - extending forever in all directions. Our terrain repeats itself, as does the life on that terrain. So when Mr. Angry circumnavigates the world he actually arrives in an adjacent Scotland (let's say Scotland number 2). He believes it is Scotland number 1 because all his friends and family are there (including a GWD number 2) who all saw Mr. Angry number 2 depart. However Mr. Angry number 2 is in fact in Scotland number 3 posting on GWD 3, and so on and so forth.

Obviously all of this is a bit much for our frail minds to comprehend - the infinite is quite big after all. Which is why, when we view the Earth from space our mind elides the infinite and gives us a nice edited version so instead of appearing to be the infinite plain that it is, the Earth looks like a nice bite sized disc.

I hope that's helped clarify things for you. Don't hesitate to ask if any of it doesn't make sense :-)

Red

Recommended reading: Inverted World by Christopher Priest.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Mr Angry

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 01:17:12 pm »

Hi Angry,

Red
"When we view the Earth from space"!  Chortle snigger snort.  Can't believe you fell for that scam.

Biss

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 02:13:07 pm »

I used to troll message boards as a flat-earther.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: