The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 16, 2018, 04:57:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119360 Posts in 5716 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Technopeeps
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Technopeeps  (Read 786 times)
ymrader
Administrator

« on: January 15, 2018, 05:27:51 am »

I am sick of Apple and it's ringfencing. If I had know what fotzen they would become I would never have bought an ipod.

Anyhoo, I want to bring my tapes and CDs back to life.

I have technics record deck rigged to me Sonos system. What else do you think I need ? Amp ? + tape and CD bits ?

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 06:08:04 am »

I am sick of Apple and it's ringfencing. If I had know what fotzen they would become I would never have bought an ipod.

Anyhoo, I want to bring my tapes and CDs back to life.

I have technics record deck rigged to me Sonos system. What else do you think I need ? Amp ? + tape and CD bits ?

Dunno much about such sound systems. What I do is transfer what I want to computer(s) and/or external hard-drives, and take it from there. This desktop has a good sound card and a pretty good set of Logitech speakers, including a sub-woofer. The s-w is on a shelf just above head level, and when I use enough volume -- most of the time -- it parts my hair. Dead easy on Linux to find and play anything you want, including whole playlists if you like. I dare say even Windoze can wheeze something out, avoiding Micro$oft software.

Avoid Apple at all costs. ALL products way overpriced and far too proprietary and limited.

And there are much better sound-cards and speaker sets available if you're fussy enough and rich like you. I'm not.

Or you could do the above using your own speakers, amplifier, etc.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 06:13:15 am by Weyland » Logged

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 07:47:55 am »

Dunno much about such sound systems. What I do is transfer what I want to computer(s) and/or external hard-drives, and take it from there. This desktop has a good sound card and a pretty good set of Logitech speakers, including a sub-woofer. The s-w is on a shelf just above head level, and when I use enough volume -- most of the time -- it parts my hair. Dead easy on Linux to find and play anything you want, including whole playlists if you like. I dare say even Windoze can wheeze something out, avoiding Micro$oft software.

Avoid Apple at all costs. ALL products way overpriced and far too proprietary and limited.

And there are much better sound-cards and speaker sets available if you're fussy enough and rich like you. I'm not.

Or you could do the above using your own speakers, amplifier, etc.

I have wireless speakers in a subnet rigged in every room through which I can play vinyl as well as all my mp3 shit on iTunes and radio. I want to add cassettes and CDs.

It's all the drm shit on older purchases that fucks me off with iTunes,  serves me right as an early adopter   Undecided

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 10:38:41 am »

I have wireless speakers in a subnet rigged in every room through which I can play vinyl as well as all my mp3 shit on iTunes and radio. I want to add cassettes and CDs.

It's all the drm shit on older purchases that fucks me off with iTunes,  serves me right as an early adopter   Undecided

I never use iTunes.

Put everything on a computer and plug the line-out into your sound system line-in. Chuck all the cassette players and CD players out. Keep the vinyl player if you must.

Linux might have a way around the DRM problem. It has for (at least some) videos. Worth looking into. Time to leave the MS/Apple stone-age.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 11:12:21 am »

I never use iTunes.

Put everything on a computer and plug the line-out into your sound system line-in. Chuck all the cassette players and CD players out. Keep the vinyl player if you must.

Linux might have a way around the DRM problem. It has for (at least some) videos. Worth looking into. Time to leave the MS/Apple stone-age.

I want to play tapes and CDs. Much easier than digitalising them all

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 11:50:12 am »

I want to play tapes and CDs. Much easier than digitalising them all

Please yourself. CDs you can play on a computer (line-out, etc.).

Cassettes -- I have a Sony double deck, which I will never use again. You can have it for a consideration, such as B&B.

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 08:17:56 am »

Please yourself. CDs you can play on a computer (line-out, etc.).

Cassettes -- I have a Sony double deck, which I will never use again. You can have it for a consideration, such as B&B.

You're not getting this are you?

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 08:28:57 am »

You're not getting this are you?

No. What am I missing?

vladimir

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 09:46:27 am »

I bought a turntable and a pair of powered speakers not long ago. Of course, that's only good for vinyl.   If you're determined to stay away from computers (personally, I don't have any cassettes anymore and all of my CDs I play through the computer) you're going to need some form of receiver (the main thing that connects to the speakers.  I'm not familiar with Sonos... so I don't know if that counts.) Also, a cassette deck and a CD component.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could find some sort of 'all in one' unit these days.  In my youth I had a Frankenstein's monster of a sound system.  A Marantz turntable, a Technics cassette deck and Bose  speakers all hooked up to a cheap, generic Sears receiver.  That was before CDs.

( ?° ?? ?°)
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 10:23:41 am »

I bought a turntable and a pair of powered speakers not long ago. Of course, that's only good for vinyl.   If you're determined to stay away from computers (personally, I don't have any cassettes anymore and all of my CDs I play through the computer) you're going to need some form of receiver (the main thing that connects to the speakers.  I'm not familiar with Sonos... so I don't know if that counts.) Also, a cassette deck and a CD component.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could find some sort of 'all in one' unit these days.  In my youth I had a Frankenstein's monster of a sound system.  A Marantz turntable, a Technics cassette deck and Bose  speakers all hooked up to a cheap, generic Sears receiver.  That was before CDs.

He's not giving much coherent detail, but I gather he hasn't got a CD player or a cassette player. I offered him a Sony double cassette deck, and he trashed that offer, so I'm lost. How he wants to connect to this Sonos thing I haven't got a clue, but presumably Sonos knows. Sheesh.

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 02:08:14 pm »

I bought an old technics record player which I run through a cheap pre amp. My theory being if I assemble CD, tape and record in a stack I can just run it through a technics proper amp. Which all then goes through a Sonos connect which converts analogue to digital. Then I can blast it through my flat with impunity.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 02:20:55 pm »

I bought an old technics record player which I run through a cheap pre amp. My theory being if I assemble CD, tape and record in a stack I can just run it through a technics proper amp. Which all then goes through a Sonos connect which converts analogue to digital. Then I can blast it through my flat with impunity.

If your Sonos thing doesn't already have an amplifier, how does it work? Assume I know nothing and you won't go far wrong. Or are you already using the Technics amp? If so, what was your original problem in the OP?

If you're converting the analogue signal to digital, what's the point of the vinyl?

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 02:04:28 am »

If your Sonos thing doesn't already have an amplifier, how does it work? Assume I know nothing and you won't go far wrong. Or are you already using the Technics amp? If so, what was your original problem in the OP?

If you're converting the analogue signal to digital, what's the point of the vinyl?

The point being I can stream vinyl through my flat which is a bit big. I want to do this with tapes and CDs.

The Sonos speakers are of very good quality anyway. I am using a wee preamp.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 03:23:07 am »

The point being I can stream vinyl through my flat which is a bit big. I want to do this with tapes and CDs.

The Sonos speakers are of very good quality anyway. I am using a wee preamp.

But if the Sonos converts the signal from analogue (vinyl) to digital, as I think you said, what's the point of the vinyl? You're losing the whatever-it-is that you hipsters bleat about vinyl.

The other thing -- you just need switchable inputs. Try Conrad, or similar. Keep away from 'hifi' dealers -- they'll rip you off,  just like Apple.

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 06:59:17 am »

But if the Sonos converts the signal from analogue (vinyl) to digital, as I think you said, what's the point of the vinyl? You're losing the whatever-it-is that you hipsters bleat about vinyl.

The other thing -- you just need switchable inputs. Try Conrad, or similar. Keep away from 'hifi' dealers -- they'll rip you off,  just like Apple.

Because some of the shit I have is only on vinyl.

I am not by any stretch an audiophile.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 09:08:07 am »

Because some of the shit I have is only on vinyl.

I am not by any stretch an audiophile.

FFS digitise everything. You might get more for the vinyl than your speakers cost. Unless it's Duran Duran and/or Chicory Tip type shite. You know it makes sense.

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 10:18:00 am »

FFS digitise everything. You might get more for the vinyl than your speakers cost. Unless it's Duran Duran and/or Chicory Tip type shite. You know it makes sense.

Hundreds of albums, even more cassettes and CDs.

Easier to do it my way.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 10:26:57 am »

Hundreds of albums, even more cassettes and CDs.

Easier to do it my way.

Then you just need a vinyl deck, a cassette player, a CD player, and a way of switching the inputs to the Sonos thingy. What's the problem?

I believe there are companies that will digitise it all for you, which is the blindingly obvious way to go, but that's not going to be cheap. Unless you can find a geeky Jugend/Kind who needs the money.

Once it's all digitised you will be relaxing upon the sunlit uplands, wondering why you never did it years ago. Trust me. (And Vlad.)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: