The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2018, 12:13:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
118608 Posts in 5656 Topics by 87 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  non-lethal mouse traps?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: non-lethal mouse traps?  (Read 746 times)
Dutch Rosie

« on: January 09, 2018, 06:04:56 am »

Anybody heard of these things? I need one badly. My cats keep bringing field mice in and  leisurely torturing and killing them.

They brought one in the other night and brought it upstairs to bed for mummy. Poor thing was squeaking like hell but I couldn't catch it. I still haven't found it or its remains...
Mr Angry

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 07:13:57 am »

I got one on Ebay for about £10 IIRC.  Able to catch several at a time.  Baited with peanut butter, it caught the first mouse within hours, 5 in 2 days, now mouse-free.
Search ebay for Mouse Trap Humane Metal Live Catch 10 Mice.

Don't believe everything you think.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 07:19:46 am »

Sounds just the job, Mr Angry.

I sometimes manage to save their lives before the cats maul them, but mainly they are brought in at night and it all happens downstairs while we are sleeping.

The last one I saved was such a brave little fellow: he sat on his back legs and started punching the air violently with his little fists at the approaching cat. I managed to grab him before Smarty got him and I put him outside. He did bite me a little but what else could I expect?
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:52:12 am »

Anybody heard of these things? I need one badly. My cats keep bringing field mice in and  leisurely torturing and killing them.

They brought one in the other night and brought it upstairs to bed for mummy. Poor thing was squeaking like hell but I couldn't catch it. I still haven't found it or its remains...

Yes -- I had a couple some years ago.  Every day there was at least one mouse in each one. One day there were four in one of them. I used to release them at least 3 or 4 km away.

Since then I've had a pest expert in, and he's blocked all access. Never had any rodent problem for years.

There are several types. I had two of these:

Peanut butter for bait. I dare say Gamma / Hubo / Praxis / Fixet might have them. Or Bol.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Mr Angry

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 09:31:28 am »

That's the chap.

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 10:25:58 am »

That's the chap.

I thought so. There are rat-sized models as well, but I never needed one, thank Bast.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 10:40:12 am »

Brilliant, I,m off to search these traps out. Thanks.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 10:59:24 am »

Brilliant, I,m off to search these traps out. Thanks.

(That's Mr Angry, by the way.)

Mr Angry

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 11:21:00 am »

(That's Mr Angry, by the way.)
My eyebrows are much more unruly than that.

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 11:41:51 am »

My eyebrows are much more unruly than that.

animated laugh As it happens, so are mine. They're silver, you know.

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 12:04:12 pm »

found this one for 9 euros.

https://www.macrovet.nl/supercat-levend-vangende-muizenval.html
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 12:34:44 pm »

Great. Be sure to report back on effectiveness and results.

What Larks

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 03:26:15 am »

Team work is required to catch a mouse without a trap, but it can be done.  We used to just shut the cats out of the room and catch it by chasing it from its hiding place with a broom handle and tea towel, then either carry it in the towel across to the fields, or put it in a cardboard box.  Of course, you need to know which room the poor thing is in, but I suppose the same applies if you are using a trap.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.”
― Dorothy Parker
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 04:04:06 am »

Team work is required to catch a mouse without a trap, but it can be done.  We used to just shut the cats out of the room and catch it by chasing it from its hiding place with a broom handle and tea towel, then either carry it in the towel across to the fields, or put it in a cardboard box.  Of course, you need to know which room the poor thing is in, but I suppose the same applies if you are using a trap.

I know the serried ranks of GWDers can't wait to know, Lark -- what do you do with the cardboard box? Into the recycling?

Peanut butter seems to tempt them out no matter where they're lurking.

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 09:23:33 am »

Usually one of or all three cats are present when a mouse is brought in. The mice get behind cupboards and can't be got hold of. Last time this happened, we had the mouse in the living room for days and finally managed to chase it into the (very small) hall, locking the cats in the living room and leaving the front door open for  a few hours. That worked great.

I now have a mouse trap installed in the living room, so let's hope it works next time and I have no more severed heads to clean up before breakfast.

With birds it's much worse, I once had my ceiling covered in blood splashes from a bird that escaped after being mauled.
What Larks

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 02:14:56 am »

I know the serried ranks of GWDers can't wait to know, Lark -- what do you do with the cardboard box? Into the recycling?

Peanut butter seems to tempt them out no matter where they're lurking.

I can't remember because we haven't had cats for several years now.  Once I had to catch about 12 voles (or was in shrews?); I can only think that one of the cats brought one in pregnant and it gave birth in the house, but they weren't new born.

Never tried peanut butter.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.”
― Dorothy Parker
TGK

Sex, Drugs and Sausage rolls.

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 04:30:27 am »

Never saw a mouse in the house until we got a cat. I've had to kill loads, not proud of it, but they're injured so it comes under the 'humane' thing.

The cat is brilliant at bringing them in and letting them escape under the washing machine. The other morning, and this is a true story, I came downstairs in the morning to find the cat asleep on the sofa, walked into the kitchen and there was a mouse eating biscuits out of the cat bowl. It saw me and made it's escape to the sanctuary of under the washing machine. Harrumph.

My cat's other speciality is biting the heads off mice. Either it loves the crunchiness, or somewhere in my house is a macabre mouse skull trophy room like on the mothership at the end of Predator 2.

Essentially I really want a dog.......Something I tell the cat every day.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 04:38:33 am »

Never saw a mouse in the house until we got a cat. I've had to kill loads, not proud of it, but they're injured so it comes under the 'humane' thing.

The cat is brilliant at bringing them in and letting them escape under the washing machine. The other morning, and this is a true story, I came downstairs in the morning to find the cat asleep on the sofa, walked into the kitchen and there was a mouse eating biscuits out of the cat bowl. It saw me and made it's escape to the sanctuary of under the washing machine. Harrumph.

My cat's other speciality is biting the heads off mice. Either it loves the crunchiness, or somewhere in my house is a macabre mouse skull trophy room like on the mothership at the end of Predator 2.

My hound brought a pigeon in once.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
TGK

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 04:43:00 am »

When I've got a bit more time I'll tell you the magpie story.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 05:30:24 am »

Guess I'll have to buy a few more humane mouse traps: one of my cats brought a mouse straight up to the bedroom last night and was chasing it, growling, for a while, before we  heard the crunching noises as he ate it up under our bed.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:36:03 am by Dutch Rosie » Logged
TGK

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 07:18:43 pm »

My cat got runover today, the car didn't stop but a neighbour saw it. Managed to get there just before he died I think, I really fucking hope I did. I'm fucking hilarious aren't I?
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 02:32:07 am »

This is very sad news, TGK. I'm so sorry you have lost your cat. They break our hearts and yet we keep getting new ones eh?

One of my cats was run over by a car and broke her hips in 7 places. The vet operated and just a few weeks later she was running around again. A year later she did exactly the same thing again and this time it was fatal.

I found another mouse corpse in the hall this morning.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 04:40:22 pm »

Oh god, the cat has just brought in another mouse. I managed to make him drop it and it took refuge behind the sofa. I'm dying to go to bed but dare not. The cat scratched me badly enough to have to use iodine. Mr Rosie has gone down south to see his son, so I'm all alone in this horrible situation. I've put  the mouse trap under the sofa and am leaving this ghastly situation to the gods and gong to bed.

It's the dame story nearly every evening, and always the same cat.
Snotty

Science Fiction rules,you know it makes sense

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 06:04:12 am »

The more lethal the better Cool

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 06:15:48 am »

The more lethal the better Cool

What have you got against field mice?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:20:46 pm by Dutch Rosie » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: