The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 01:48:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
118155 Posts in 5602 Topics by 87 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  St George...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: St George...  (Read 126 times)
Snotty

Science Fiction rules,you know it makes sense

« on: January 09, 2018, 05:42:00 am »

Do you think he was English?

Or not?

Could he have been from elsewhere?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/st-georges-day-2016-who-was-saint-george-why-is-he-englands-patron-saint-st-george-dragon-slay-kill-a6997016.html

Dutch Rosie
Global Newbie

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:56:36 am »

Reminds me of the jingoistic owner of a new defunct forum who called himself James St George. His real name was probably Sidney Slob.
Dutch Rosie
Global Newbie

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 05:59:15 am »

Correction that should be "now defunct".

Why do we not have correction buttons on this forum?
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 07:39:00 am »

Wouldn't want to keep Weyland out of a job  Cheesy

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 08:55:11 am »

Correction that should be "now defunct".

There's a Modify button. Isn't there? (I wouldn't know. Never need it.  Cool)

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 08:56:23 am »

St George was a Palestinian. Probably a refugee as well. Not kidding.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 08:59:40 am »

Reminds me of the jingoistic owner of a now defunct forum who called himself James St George. His real name was probably Sidney Slob.

Remember Toby on that board, Rosie? Self-professed Nazi. Used to go to Belgium to booze with the Vlaamse Blok. I think he was also Mr Fantastic, recently flushed away from GWD.

Mr Angry

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 09:28:54 am »

Remember Toby on that board, Rosie? Self-professed Nazi. Used to go to Belgium to booze with the Vlaamse Blok. I think he was also Mr Fantastic, recently flushed away from GWD.
[/quoteMr F was no nazi.  For all his faults, that's not a fair comment.  A spammy troll, with professed right wing (albeit soft right) views, but never far right.  Not a real person anyway.  I always suspected that he was a reasonably intelligent keft winger who enjoyed annoying his peers.  He was pretty good at it, in a cartoonish sort of way, for a while, but without the nous to know when it became merely irtitating.

Obey the rules
                        - Eric "Fleshwound" Heggarty
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 10:22:39 am »

Mr F was no nazi.  For all his faults, that's not a fair comment.  A spammy troll, with professed right wing (albeit soft right) views, but never far right.  Not a real person anyway.  I always suspected that he was a reasonably intelligent keft winger who enjoyed annoying his peers.  He was pretty good at it, in a cartoonish sort of way, for a while, but without the nous to know when it became merely irtitating.

I grudgingly admit that you have one or two points there, MrA. Not the "left winger" bit for sure. Look at his own board if you like. He's pretty far to the Right, and still spouting the same old drivel. To the converted these days. (I look at it occasionally. Very occasionally.)

(Toby, on the other hand, was proud and open about his Nazi views.)

Dutch Rosie
Global Newbie

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 10:32:49 am »

I didn't know that.
I actually met Toby when he was in NL. Seemed like a nice man.
Dutch Rosie
Global Newbie

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 10:35:14 am »

I can't find it.
Dutch Rosie
Global Newbie

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 10:36:35 am »

There's a Modify button. Isn't there? (I wouldn't know. Never need it.  Cool)

No, if there is I can't find it.
Snotty

Science Fiction rules,you know it makes sense

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 10:50:00 am »

St George was a Palestinian. Probably a refugee as well. Not kidding.

I’ve heard that before,also that he was Italian,or was that Bonny Prince Charlie? Huh?

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 10:51:27 am »

No, if there is I can't find it.

You don't see this? . . .

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 10:55:12 am »

I didn't know that.
I actually met Toby when he was in NL. Seemed like a nice man.

What can I say? Must be a different Toby.

Dutch Rosie
Global Newbie

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 11:23:06 am »

You don't see this? . . .

Oh yes, good lord, my eyes are getting wore and worse.
Dutch Rosie
Global Newbie

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 11:25:48 am »

What can I say? Must be a different Toby.

It's the same Toby. He is very right wing but not offensively so He was a perfect gentleman and dinner companion
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:30:34 am by Dutch Rosie » Logged
Mr Angry

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 11:29:39 am »

Mr F was no nazi.  For all his faults, that's not a fair comment.  A spammy troll, with professed right wing (albeit soft right) views, but never far right.  Not a real person anyway.  I always suspected that he was a reasonably intelligent keft winger who enjoyed annoying his peers.  He was pretty good at it, in a cartoonish sort of way, for a while, but without the nous to know when it became merely irtitating.

I grudgingly admit that you have one or two points there, MrA. Not the "left winger" bit for sure. Look at his own board if you like. He's pretty far to the Right, and still spouting the same old drivel. To the converted these days. (I look at it occasionally. Very occasionally.)

(Toby, on the other hand, was proud and open about his Nazi views.)
I was unaware he had his own board.  Even so, the character he plays is so absurd I struggle to believe it is anything other than an invented persona designed purely to annoy.  If I'm wrong, at least he apparently has his own little puddle of shit to splash around in now.  Can't believe he's happy among people who agree with him though.

Obey the rules
                        - Eric "Fleshwound" Heggarty
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 11:47:20 am »

It's the same Toby. He is very right wing but not offensively so He was a perfect gentleman and dinner companion

I believe Reinhard Heydrich was a bit of a ladies' man too when it suited him.  Wink

Dutch Rosie
Global Newbie

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 11:59:52 am »

I believe Reinhard Heydrich was a bit of a ladies' man too when it suited him.  Wink

It wasnt a date, just a friendly dinner.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 12:14:20 pm »

It wasnt a date, just a friendly dinner.

I didn't mean that, Rosie, but I'm sure you know what I do mean. It's a type.

(I probably have records of the likes of JStG's board (I'm just like that) but they'll be on 3.5" floppies, and I no longer have any way to read them.)

Remember Electric Hermit? And Peter Frick? (I think that was his name.)

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 12:19:41 pm »

Oh yes, good lord, my eyes are getting wore and worse.

Using a desktop / laptop / netbook computer? If so, try holding 'Ctrl' down and pressing '+'. Works in Chrome and Firefox.
(If you're still using Internet Explorer I will pray for the salvation of your immortal soul.)

Dutch Rosie
Global Newbie

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 12:38:47 pm »

I didn't mean that, Rosie, but I'm sure you know what I do mean. It's a type.

(I probably have records of the likes of JStG's board (I'm just like that) but they'll be on 3.5" floppies, and I no longer have any way to read them.)

Remember Electric Hermit? And Peter Frick? (I think that was his name.)

Electric Hermit, oh hell yes. I reckon he was a bitter paraplegic or something..

Peter Frik rings a bell, but I can't remember him at all really.
Dutch Rosie
Global Newbie

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 01:59:52 pm »

Was Peter Frick perhaps the loony Scottish preacher with the big orange sash who never posted on "the Sabbath" and always called me a "filthy papist"? animated laugh
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 03:30:44 pm »

Was Peter Frick perhaps the loony Scottish preacher with the big orange sash who never posted on "the Sabbath" and always called me a "filthy papist"? animated laugh

No. Nothing like that. Frick was only a mainstream old Tory type, with a paisley cravat, tweedy trilby, and spats, I imagine.

What you describe sounds like Mark Dent. When he discovered I'm a Catholic he went berserk, in his uniquely semi-literate way.

No . . . wait . . . in his routinely Orange Order semi-literate way.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: