The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2018, 01:55:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
118608 Posts in 5656 Topics by 87 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Marmalade...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Marmalade...  (Read 791 times)
Snotty

Science Fiction rules,you know it makes sense

« on: January 09, 2018, 04:37:49 am »

The best is lemon and lime also,much better than orange,and it must have peel Cool

If you don’t agree you are quite mad Shocked

It’s as obvious as Brexit is idiocy(well maybe not quite as obvious as that)

Any how,you know the truth,I am right about Marmalade(and Wrecksit) Cool

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:02:55 am »

The best is lemon and lime also,much better than orange,and it must have peel Cool

If you don’t agree you are quite mad Shocked

It’s as obvious as Brexit is idiocy(well maybe not quite as obvious as that)

Any how,you know the truth,I am right about Marmalade(and Wrecksit) Cool

I agree about the peel -- the thicker the better. And the Wrecksit -- too thick to measure.

While I'm here -- Marmite and cottage cheese on a water biscuit is even better.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Snotty

Science Fiction rules,you know it makes sense

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 05:04:52 am »

I agree about the peel -- the thicker the better. And the Wrecksit -- too thick to measure.

While I'm here -- Marmite and cottage cheese on a water biscuit is even better.

Noooooooooooo,did you get that idea from a wrecksiter.

vladimir

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 08:36:39 am »

You know, I don't think I've seen any variety in American grocery stores other than orange.  My wife is the only person I've ever seen purchase it as well.  (She's not English, but her mum is, so she has a lot of weird English habits... drinking tea, putting marmalade on toasted bread, calling the T.V. a 'tellie.'  Stuff like that.)

Then again, I suppose I'm not one to talk... I always pick up lingonberry jam whenever we stop by Ikea.

A wise man said, "You can't step in the same stream twice," but I find wet feet soon get caked with sand and grit.  That's very unpleasant, especially between the toes.  So when I go for a stroll I stay on the sidewalk.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 09:18:17 am »

You know, I don't think I've seen any variety in American grocery stores other than orange.  My wife is the only person I've ever seen purchase it as well.  (She's not English, but her mum is, so she has a lot of weird English habits... drinking tea, putting marmalade on toasted bread, calling the T.V. a 'tellie.'  Stuff like that.)

Then again, I suppose I'm not one to talk... I always pick up lingonberry jam whenever we stop by Ikea.

There's also marmalade -- usually orange -- laced with Scotch whisky. We're not as dim as you think.

Also marmalade with ginger added sometimes.

(You should be saying 'British habits'. For instance, some of the best marmalade comes from Dundee, which is in Scotland, not England.)

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
vladimir

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 04:06:18 pm »

(You should be saying 'British habits'. For instance, some of the best marmalade comes from Dundee, which is in Scotland, not England.)

Fine then.  She also says things that are cool are 'lovely' and other such things Americans just don't do.

A wise man said, "You can't step in the same stream twice," but I find wet feet soon get caked with sand and grit.  That's very unpleasant, especially between the toes.  So when I go for a stroll I stay on the sidewalk.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 03:46:01 am »

Fine then.  She also says things that are cool are 'lovely' and other such things Americans just don't do.

Clearly a refined and civilised lady.

~

They were talking about polymaths on the radio just now. Benjamin Franklin was mentioned more than once. There aren't any polymath politicians nowadays. Unimaths at best, and Trump isn't even that. (Not to mention our own rabble.)

vladimir

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 10:29:07 am »

Clearly a refined and civilised lady.

Well, I like her

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 10:43:28 am »

Well, I like her

In other words, a lovely lady.  Cool

What Larks

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 03:22:27 am »

I've bought my oranges and must now find the time to make the marmalade.  I use a very simple recipe, no muslin bags required.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.”
― Dorothy Parker
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 04:00:40 am »

I've bought my oranges and must now find the time to make the marmalade.  I use a very simple recipe, no muslin bags required.

If any recipe involves muslin bags I ignore the bags bit. Never failed yet. I dare say it was work created for the novice lower kitchen maid / plongeuse.

AnnieOakley
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 01:36:28 pm »

The lovely and talented Ms. Annie has made me blood orange marmalade. 
It is now stored on the cupboard shelf reserved for jams, chutneys and preserves that are "too good for guests".

The dogs bark, the caravan passes.

You meet the same people on the way up as you do on the way down.
AnnieOakley
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 01:38:11 pm »

Like this...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156046645156639&set=a.60462676638.87175.704716638&type=3&theater

The dogs bark, the caravan passes.

You meet the same people on the way up as you do on the way down.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 01:52:08 pm »

Last week I gave away the very last jar of my famous Damson Jam, to an ailing old friend who loves damsons. That's just the kinda guy I am.

Sidney Prescott

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 01:06:18 am »

My Mum is currently making the following for our shop:

Orange marmalade
Lemon marmalade
Orange and lemon marmalade
Three fruit marmalade
Orange marmalade with ginger
Orange marmalade with Scotch whisky
Pink grapefruit marmalade
Lemon curd
Orange curd

Take your pick!

Hope you enjoyed the movie.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 03:09:14 am »

My Mum is currently making the following for our shop:

Orange marmalade
Lemon marmalade
Orange and lemon marmalade
Three fruit marmalade
Orange marmalade with ginger
Orange marmalade with Scotch whisky
Pink grapefruit marmalade
Lemon curd
Orange curd

Take your pick!

Lemon curd, please. I'll take a case-full.

To Amazon Locker, Darwin Shopping Centre, Shrewsbury. Thank you.

(And some Popeye Salt.)

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 06:35:28 am »

Home-made lemon curd! Yes please!
vladimir

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 08:21:58 am »

I'll take the orange marmalade with Scotch whisky.

Hold the orange marmalade.

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 09:02:14 am »

Home-made lemon curd! Yes please!

Rosie: I'll be in NL from  Saturday for three weeks. Want me to bring anything?  Smiley

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 09:21:40 am »

Red Oxo cubes please, and Colmans ready-made mustard.

Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:34:16 am by Dutch Rosie » Logged
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 09:32:20 am »

Red Oxxo cubes please, and Colmans ready-made mustard.

Thanks a lot.

It shall be as you desire, m'lady. At some point I/we will be sure to be traversing Drenthe, no doubt, and will drop off the goods at Vesting Rosie.

My apologies, but I have no home-made lemon curd.

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 10:04:23 am »

Oh. and a couple of cherry fruitcakes please, if you can be bothered.

No problem with the lemon curd, I can make that myself.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 10:44:27 am »

Oh. and a couple of cherry fruitcakes please, if you can be bothered.

I will bring the Welsh versions.

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2018, 09:33:05 am »

Is the secret ingredient leeks by any chance?  If so, please cross the border to purchase.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2018, 09:57:00 am »

Is the secret ingredient leeks by any chance?  If so, please cross the border to purchase.

No. Stop worrying. You'll like it. (It's the daffodil pollen that makes it so good. That and the dragon-fired ovens. And the laver.)

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: