The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 08:47:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119326 Posts in 5710 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Messageboards
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Messageboards  (Read 316 times)
ymrader
Administrator

« on: January 09, 2018, 04:26:36 am »

Obvs they were here long before soshalmeeja

Were they the birthplace of internet shouting ? Grin

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Snotty

Science Fiction rules,you know it makes sense

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 04:40:35 am »

Probz animated laugh

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 04:51:45 am »

Obvs they were here long before soshalmeeja

Were they the birthplace of internet shouting ? Grin

They were there, sort of, before the Internet, or at least before the Web, in the shape of Usenet. And IBM had internal forums before Usenet, on their mainframe network known as VNET -- 2000+ linked mainframes when I joined up in 1982. Usenet was also available on VNET, as well as the internal forums.

Each FORUM had an Owner, responsible for moderating it, and FORUMs were grouped by category, such as the various operating systems, programming languages, writing tools, PC software, hardware, news, etc. Worked fine on an internal network with a limited audience, and in general management didn't get involved at all. It was all designed and run by programmers, engineers, technical writers,  and similar geniuses, such as me.

It was later partly opened up for customers, mostly for technical support. Worked like a charm. VNET was faster in the 1980s than the Web is now. Mainframe speeds and vast bandwidth around the world. Uithoorn, in NL, was a major hub where I worked most of the time: five or six big tightly-coupled mainframes, all running VM, the best of the mainframe operating systems. Happy days indeed.

And yes -- it could get very shouty.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: