The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2018, 12:01:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
118608 Posts in 5656 Topics by 87 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Universal Truths...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Universal Truths...  (Read 1272 times)
Snotty

Science Fiction rules,you know it makes sense

« on: December 17, 2017, 02:50:03 am »

Here’s one,salt in porridge is crap,porridge needs sugar,this is a fine example of a universal truth Cool

Can you tell me a universal truth?

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 03:15:25 am »

Here’s one,salt in porridge is crap,porridge needs sugar,this is a fine example of a universal truth Cool

Can you tell me a universal truth?

A tiny amount of salt is good. No sugar.  Banana, prune, apricot, or whatever suits you is the way to go. Honey if you must.

Tea: Milk in cup first. No sugar.
Trifle: Needs jelly.
Bacon sandwich: Not smoked. No sauce. White bread.
(Fish &) Chips: Vinegar first, then salt.
Xmas sprouts: Start boiling them the previous January.  Cool

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Mr Angry

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 11:40:14 am »

A tiny amount of salt is good. No sugar.  Banana, prune, apricot, or whatever suits you is the way to go. Honey if you must.

Tea: Milk in cup first. No sugar.
Trifle: Needs jelly.
Bacon sandwich: Not smoked. No sauce. White bread.
(Fish &) Chips: Vinegar first, then salt.
Xmas sprouts: Start boiling them the previous January.  Cool
How can a man who is sometimes right sometimes be so wrong?
Porage needs a pinch of salt while cooking, otherwise it will be bland.  After cooking anything goes, but golden syrup is correct.  Milk in first, obviously, I think it's in Ecclesiastes.  There is no need for, and no point in, unsmoked bacon.  Might as well drink unfermented beer.  Sprouts should be boiled until just starting to soften but still crunchy.  Leave to cool and then fry with bacon (smoked, obv,) lardons and chestnuts.

Thus is it written.

Don't believe everything you think.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 12:44:04 pm »

How can a man who is sometimes right sometimes be so wrong?
Porage needs a pinch of salt while cooking, otherwise it will be bland.  After cooking anything goes, but golden syrup is correct.  Milk in first, obviously, I think it's in Ecclesiastes.  There is no need for, and no point in, unsmoked bacon.  Might as well drink unfermented beer.  Sprouts should be boiled until just starting to soften but still crunchy.  Leave to cool and then fry with bacon (smoked, obv,) lardons and chestnuts.

Thus is it written.

OK. But treacle instead of syrup.
Not smoked. Not never no way.
Sprouts -- agreed, though I generally steam them.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Snotty

Science Fiction rules,you know it makes sense

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 07:14:54 pm »

Another universal truth,The Beatles rule ALL music Cool

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 01:49:21 am »

Another universal truth,The Beatles rule ALL bubblegum music and muzak Cool

FTFY  Grin

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 02:25:04 am »

German beer is hangover free.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 02:52:59 am »

German beer is hangover free.

You mean it's free in Hannover? Why wasn't I told?!

vladimir

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 08:26:02 am »

A true taco or burrito does not contain lettuce or ground beef.

Ever.

A wise man said, "You can't step in the same stream twice," but I find wet feet soon get caked with sand and grit.  That's very unpleasant, especially between the toes.  So when I go for a stroll I stay on the sidewalk.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 11:09:53 am »

A true taco or burrito does not contain lettuce or ground beef.

Ever.

I know nothing of burritos, Vlad.  (Except Sneaky Pete Kleinow, obviously.)

What should they contain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCqxq6xqoXI

vladimir

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 10:58:18 am »

I know nothing of burritos, Vlad.  (Except Sneaky Pete Kleinow, obviously.)

What should they contain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCqxq6xqoXI

I like a good bean burrito.  Refried beans.  Properly cooked, not that canned garbage.  (I soak pinto beans in salted water with some onion over night, boil them until they're soft and then mash em into a paste, then fry them in butter.)  Spread some into a flour tortilla, add graded cheddar or chihuahua cheese, but do it while the beans are hot enough to melt the cheese.  Topped with a splash of Tapatio sauce.  Crema (or sour cream) is acceptable but optional... as are a few diced onions.  Lettuce and un-melted cheese is not acceptable.

I stopped eating meat a while back but another good one is a carne asada.  I'd consider going back to being an omnivore for a properly prepared carne asada burrito.  Usually skirt steak marinated in a lime, salt, garlic, vinegar and olive oil marinade.  Grilled, then wrapped up in a flour tortilla with guacamole.  No lettuce, no ground beef, no cheese.

Tacos are the same.  There's different styles but carne asada is the perfect example.  Same ingredients as the burrito, served on a warm (but not fried into a shell) corn tortilla.

A wise man said, "You can't step in the same stream twice," but I find wet feet soon get caked with sand and grit.  That's very unpleasant, especially between the toes.  So when I go for a stroll I stay on the sidewalk.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 11:07:54 am »

I like a good bean burrito.  Refried beans.  Properly cooked, not that canned garbage.  (I soak pinto beans in salted water with some onion over night, boil them until they're soft and then mash em into a paste, then fry them in butter.)  Spread some into a flour tortilla, add graded cheddar or chihuahua cheese, but do it while the beans are hot enough to melt the cheese.  Topped with a splash of Tapatio sauce.  Crema (or sour cream) is acceptable but optional... as are a few diced onions.  Lettuce and un-melted cheese is not acceptable.

I stopped eating meat a while back but another good one is a carne asada.  I'd consider going back to being an omnivore for a properly prepared carne asada burrito.  Usually skirt steak marinated in a lime, salt, garlic, vinegar and olive oil marinade.  Grilled, then wrapped up in a flour tortilla with guacamole.  No lettuce, no ground beef, no cheese.

Tacos are the same.  There's different styles but carne asada is the perfect example.  Same ingredients as the burrito, served on a warm (but not fried into a shell) corn tortilla.

Thank you, Vlad. I'm not a vegetarian, but the bean recipe sounds pretty good to me. Love pulses. Don't like cream. I might add sliced or chopped jalapeño.

vladimir

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 01:15:24 pm »

I might add sliced or chopped jalapeño.

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 01:19:05 pm »

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 02:14:45 pm »

Yep, a pinch of salt in cooking is essential, then add sugar in the bowl.

Why can't anyone (except for me and some French people) cook scrambled eggs properly: smooth and creamy instead os watery and rubbery?

Mr Angry

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 01:39:26 am »

Yep, a pinch of salt in cooking is essential, then add sugar in the bowl.

Why can't anyone (except for me and some French people) cook scrambled eggs properly: smooth and creamy instead os watery and rubbery?

I can, and I'm neither you nor French.  Plenty of butter in the pan, beat the eggs before putting them into the hot but not sizzling butter, and keep it moving. Stop while still soft and moist, dry granular scramblies are an abomination.   If you add milk, your eggs become a rubbery pudding, you are evil and beyond redemption.

Don't believe everything you think.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 04:17:03 am »

Well said, Mr Angry. The addition of milk means a wet dish, since the whey separates in cooking so the eggs sit in a puddle.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 06:04:40 am »

Well said, Mr Angry. The addition of milk means a wet dish, since the whey separates in cooking so the eggs sit in a puddle.

Have you sampled the "scrambled" egg on the Hoek - Harwich ferries? Don't. More like yellowish silicone cement. The croissants and coffee at the caff near the stern are pretty good though. But only on the Dutch ship.

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 06:17:58 am »

No, Weyland, I have not had that privilege. Have you ever had a meal on a TUI flight? Just as bad probably.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 06:45:46 am »

No, Weyland, I have not had that privilege. Have you ever had a meal on a TUI flight? Just as bad probably.

Never used TUI, but I can imagine. Never had a halfway good airline meal, the best probably being Lufthansa, though their coffee was vile. Coming back to Schiphol in winter one time they had to wait for a landing slot for about 45 minutes. Free drinks all round. Too many Asbachs. Very bad idea.  But that was a long time ago.  Lips Sealed

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 07:04:21 am »

Try Dutch hospital food for the ultimate experience in bad food. I was starving but could not eat that shit. Finally they gave up nagging me and put me on bottles of concentrated liquid food.

I fail to understand why British and Dutch hospital food is so atrocious, when the Germans can do a good job of it.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 08:04:47 am »

Try Dutch hospital food for the ultimate experience in bad food. I was starving but could not eat that shit. Finally they gave up nagging me and put me on bottles of concentrated liquid food.

I fail to understand why British and Dutch hospital food is so atrocious, when the Germans can do a good job of it.

I've been in both the AMC and the VU hospitals in Amsterdam. The AMC's food was vile, but the VU's was very good. My daughter says the food at the Rijnstate in Arnhem is pretty good too. Right place right time.

Records from the VU's archives of 1985, including scan images, probably saved my life last year, a consultant in Shrewsbury told me. Changed the planned treatment drastically. Ik klaag niet.  Cool

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 11:19:17 am »

Right, when I break my other hip, I'll go to Arnhem or Amsterdam. Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: