The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2018, 05:52:55 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119111 Posts in 5696 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  But England is full
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: But England is full  (Read 1158 times)
ymrader
Administrator

« on: November 09, 2017, 06:19:41 am »

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41901294

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 08:04:21 am »

My area . . .

Built on < 1%
Green urban < 1%
Farmland 56%
Natural 43%

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:08:33 am »

My area . . .

Built on < 1%
Green urban < 1%
Farmland 56%
Natural 43%

Shocking.

Dunno what potsdam is but half of it is water  Grin

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Mr Angry

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 10:16:06 am »

My area
Built on ?1%
Natural 89%
Muddy 99%

Don't believe everything you think.
AnnieOakley
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 12:06:00 pm »

Built on = 1%
Fresh and salt water coastline/beaches = 1%
Ag land (tobacco, soybeans, cotton, misc. produce, etc) = 7%
Swamp (venomous snakes, 'gators, Klansmen, repressed churchgoers, crazed gun nuts, tattoo artists, etc) = 91%

The dogs bark, the caravan passes.

You meet the same people on the way up as you do on the way down.
Snotty

Science Fiction rules,you know it makes sense

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 09:51:33 pm »

Reece Shearsmith for PM Cool

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 02:15:16 am »

Reece Shearsmith for PM Cool

Hear, Here!

Dunno which one is Shearsmith . . .

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 02:18:03 am »

See League.

What Larks

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 01:22:04 am »

Interesting link.  The result of putting in my postcode was statistics for the whole of my council area, which is predominantly rural.  The result is#

Built on5%
Green urban3%
Farmland77%
Natural16%

There is hardly any open space in the biggest town, and some farmland is being developed with fears than the already crowded main road will become gridlocked.

I keep hearing that the UK has less tree cover than any other EU country.  If true, how depressing.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.”
― Dorothy Parker
What Larks

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 01:49:56 am »

It is raining and I have to take the dogs out; luckily there is a nearby wood.  So as a diversion I searched for the next, bigger authority and found:

Built on56%
Green urban15%
Farmland22%
Natural7%

Not much scope for further development there.  It isn't the houses themselves that are the problem but the roads that need to be built to serve them, along with the extra demand for already overstretched services which (again) can only be expanded by  building, along with the roads and car parks needed to get people to them.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.”
― Dorothy Parker
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 04:49:16 am »

I was surprised to read that the Netherlands and the UK have the same low tree count. I had expected more for the UK.

We do have large national parks in the Netherlands, one of them being on my doorstep. They are now considering placing wild deer in it.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 05:02:49 am »

I was surprised to read that the Netherlands and the UK have the same low tree count. I had expected more for the UK.

We do have large national parks in the Netherlands, one of them being on my doorstep. They are now considering placing wild deer in it.

I'm surprised they're not there already, Rosie. There are said to be plenty on the Veluwe, though I've never seen any. There are certainly deer -- more than one kind -- in the Sonsbeek Park in Arnhem, where my daughter lives. Domesticated, no doubt. (When we first went to NL, I lived and worked in Apeldoorn. Many a day spent cycling through the Veluwe. Lovely place. Plenty of trees. And country taverns. And van Goghs.)

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 05:07:24 am »

Yes, the Veluwe is a lovely place. We were there in November to celebrate our tenth anniversary.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 06:32:44 am »

Interesting link.  The result of putting in my postcode was statistics for the whole of my council area, which is predominantly rural.  The result is#

Built on5%
Green urban3%
Farmland77%
Natural16%

There is hardly any open space in the biggest town, and some farmland is being developed with fears than the already crowded main road will become gridlocked.

I keep hearing that the UK has less tree cover than any other EU country.  If true, how depressing.

Didn't know that about trees, sad.

I am lucky to be surrounded by forest.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 07:55:25 am »

Didn't know that about trees, sad.

I am lucky to be surrounded by forest.

A few years ago I was camping with my son on the edge of a huge dark forest near Kassel. It made me realise how the Brothers Grimm stories came about. There's no forest like that left in Britain, not even Kielder.

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 09:51:59 am »

A few years ago I was camping with my son on the edge of a huge dark forest near Kassel. It made me realise how the Brothers Grimm stories came about. There's no forest like that left in Britain, not even Kielder.

Took the shits up to see the old abandoned nsa spook centre in the middle of the woods last week. Teufelsberg.

The woods in Potsdam west were the old hunting ground of Kaiser Freddy. I came across a big rock which was where he shot his last deer.

The woods here are huge.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
What Larks

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 12:04:07 pm »

I am not a great fan of huge pine forests, and am lucky we have plenty of mainly deciduous woods nearby.  These once covered England and have been protected too late  from the developer's axe  Most brownfield sites without huge contamination problems have been redeveloped, which really just leaves floodplains, hills and farmland for houses.  And frankly, we will need out agriculture for food in the future, for we can't keep importing stuff the way we do now. 
Bear in mind I live in the south east of England, where there is much pressure to build more but a lack of suitable land, not to mention regular water shortages.

― Dorothy Parker
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 12:34:18 pm »

Just heard this on Radio-4 about a survey asking people how much of the UK they think is built on . . .

Result: 47%

Actuality: 0.1%

I'll look for a link if anyone is interested.

Mr Angry

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 01:04:05 pm »

Just heard this on Radio-4 about a survey asking people how much of the UK they think is built on . . .

Result: 47%

Actuality: 0.1%

I'll look for a link if anyone is interested.
I bet this survey was carried out on a street.  Many streets are in towns and cities, which often contain quite a few buildings and stuff.  Sweeping generalisation alert - many townies have little idea what is happening beyond the 30 limit.

Don't believe everything you think.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 01:26:34 pm »

I bet this survey was carried out on a street.  Many streets are in towns and cities, which often contain quite a few buildings and stuff.  Sweeping generalisation alert - many townies have little idea what is happening beyond the 30 limit.

Indeed. Especially south-east of Oxford.

Red Herring

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 09:59:50 am »

Built on - 71%

Green Urban - 28%

Natural - 1%

Farmland - Fuck off

Red
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 10:13:16 am »

Built on - 71%

Green Urban - 28%

Natural - 1%

Farmland - Fuck off

Red

The most dense part of London only has about 20000 inhabitants in a sqkm. Leaving it 15th in most dense sqkm in Europe.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Red Herring

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2018, 10:43:19 am »

The most dense part of London only has about 20000 inhabitants in a sqkm. Leaving it 15th in most dense sqkm in Europe.

All that green space, and low rise building. London may have a low density but it goes on forever and is the largest city in the EU (for now).

Red
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: