The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 08:21:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
117886 Posts in 5580 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Aubrey
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  The satisfaction of solving a mystery
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The satisfaction of solving a mystery  (Read 180 times)
vladimir

« on: November 02, 2017, 10:49:17 am »

It's why I'm in he line of work I'm in.  I've always loved riddles and solving puzzles.  As a teen in the 80s, when computers in people's houses where just becoming a thing (long before operating systems like Windows and Unix) I spent hours trying to solve text based computer puzzles.  Spent money on them as well.  (I loved the hell out of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, even if I never came close to finishing it.)  Now, I get paid to figure out problems on a computer.

Yup... I'm living the dream.

Just this morning, several hundreds of thousands of Euros and British Pounds were missing from a series of financial reports.  After a few hours of computer detective work (I like to picture the inside of the computer like the Tron movies... only my avatar is dressed as Batman, and every data query I make, some poor little citizen of the computer world is being roughed up for information by me) I managed to find a series of audit files that had been migrated to a new machine.  There to the last penny were my missing numbers.

There's an odd sense of victory in puzzle resolution.  Let's hear it from the board, what minor triumphs make your day?

A wise man said, "You can't step in the same stream twice," but I find wet feet soon get caked with sand and grit.  That's very unpleasant, especially between the toes.  So when I go for a stroll I stay on the sidewalk.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 11:57:50 am »

Excellent work !

None of my dogs shat gel like poo today.

I found a replacement Gegenlager fanghaken for our new old car  Cool

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 02:03:42 pm »

Minor triumphs?   Things like finding my car keys, which I'd (for some obscure reason) placed in my dressing gown pocket.  Actually, Mr. Ev found them.  So it was his triumph.  We'd searched the house.

Another triumph?  Baking a really good pie.  Sounds a bit sad, but shortcrust pastry can be an absolute bugger.

Well done, anyway, Vlad.

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 04:57:25 am »

Minor triumphs?   Things like finding my car keys, which I'd (for some obscure reason) placed in my dressing gown pocket.  Actually, Mr. Ev found them.  So it was his triumph.  We'd searched the house.

Another triumph?  Baking a really good pie.  Sounds a bit sad, but shortcrust pastry can be an absolute bugger.

Well done, anyway, Vlad.

Shortcrust, piece of piss  Cool

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 05:30:05 am »

I can do pretty good shortcrust.

Talking of baking, I was in Newcastle a few weeks ago. Went into Bowers for the usual saveloy dip with pease puddin' on stotty. What they gave me was on a cotton-wool bap. The lass said "That's what the baker delivers". Got the money back and tried Grainger Market instead. No stotty to be found. Same on the Quayside and in North Shields. Only Greggs sells stotty cake now, and even then it's not right. The nearest substitute is the round flat loaves they have in Turkish shops. Is nothing sacred? (Yes, I can make the stuff.)

The "Cornish" pasties Greggs in Shrewsbury sells are in puff pastry. Another hanging offence.

~

I used to be a mainframe systems programmer. Solving software crash puzzles using only memory dump printouts and CPU panel lights was fun. Managers and several hundred users breathing down your neck was the funnest part. But the pay was good.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 08:59:54 am »

Shortcrust, piece of piss  Cool

People who make crap shortcrust usually think it is a piece of piss.

everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 09:05:52 am »

The "Cornish" pasties Greggs in Shrewsbury sells are in puff pastry. Another hanging offence.

Quite true.  There really should be a law against it.  Like those beef and ale pies you get in pubs, they always have a stupid puff pastry top that just explodes when you cut into it.  A proper shortcrust pie top, the sound when you cut into it, all warm and crumbly. Nothing like it.

Damn, I should have cooked a pie for tea.  Angry

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 09:14:45 am »

Quite true.  There really should be a law against it.  Like those beef and ale pies you get in pubs, they always have a stupid puff pastry top that just explodes when you cut into it.  A proper shortcrust pie top, the sound when you cut into it, all warm and crumbly. Nothing like it.

Precisely. I'm having fish pie <QUIET at the back there!> today. Cheesy potato crust. <QUIET!!>

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 09:21:09 am »

The Gunner in North Shields has steak'n'ale pie with a proper short crust. Pretty good, but their beers are shite.

Touristic Tip: Eat at The Gunner; drink at The Cumberland; best craic at the Tynemouth Lodge; best free wifi at The Pow Burn.

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 10:50:25 am »

People who make crap shortcrust usually think it is a piece of piss.

Is is a piece of piss.

I make my own pasta ffs.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 10:51:19 am »

Chicken, leek and bacon pie is in the oven.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Mr Angry

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 11:38:08 am »

Ditto, remarkably.  Except not pastry crust of any kibd.  Topped with my justly famous spiced herby dumpling.  So not truly a pie.  The kitchen just reeks of autumnal Sunday.

Obey the rules
                        - Eric "Fleshwound" Heggarty
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 12:09:01 pm »

Ditto, remarkably.  Except not pastry crust of any kibd.  Topped with my justly famous spiced herby dumpling.  So not truly a pie.  The kitchen just reeks of autumnal Sunday.

Oh very good sir !

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 12:16:21 pm »

Cobblers.

Is a good topping for pan haggerty.

Snotty

Science Fiction rules,you know it makes sense

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 12:18:40 pm »

Prawn Bhuna beats the lot Cool

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 01:06:23 pm »

Prawn Bhuna beats the lot Cool

Shite up a height, kidda -- bhuna's for sissies.

everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 02:30:54 pm »

Is is a piece of piss.

I make my own pasta ffs.

Making shortcrust pastry IS easy.  Having it turn out delicious is not.

I make pasta too.  Now THAT is easy.

everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 02:35:03 pm »

Excellent filling.  I make that too occasionally. 

But the pastry... was it crisp but not hard, crumbly yet holding together, golden and light?

There really isn't anything else like well made shortcrust.

everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 02:36:03 pm »

Ah now.  Dumplings.  Mr Ev loves my

Weyland!

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 03:28:48 pm »

Making shortcrust pastry IS easy.  Having it turn out delicious is not.

I make pasta too.  Now THAT is easy.

It is, not sure why you are struggling to mix 3 things.

It's hardly rocket science...

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 03:29:52 pm »

Excellent filling.  I make that too occasionally. 

But the pastry... was it crisp but not hard, crumbly yet holding together, golden and light?

There really isn't anything else like well made shortcrust.

Put some cheddar on top, was divine.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 08:49:43 am »

It is, not sure why you are struggling to mix 3 things.

It's hardly rocket science...

Not struggling, but there's a difference between that and pasta.  With pasta you need to knead.  With shortcrust you need to have a light hand and judge just the right amount of cold water.  You can knead it, or add too much water and then add more flour to make it drier, and both times you'll end up with tough pastry.  I think this must be why some people buy shortcrust ready made.

Glad to see we're getting to debate on more important things.   Grin

everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 08:50:37 am »

Put some cheddar on top, was divine.

God, yes.  Cheese always makes things better.  Except possibly if you're making trifle.

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 09:27:58 am »

Not struggling, but there's a difference between that and pasta.  With pasta you need to knead.  With shortcrust you need to have a light hand and judge just the right amount of cold water.  You can knead it, or add too much water and then add more flour to make it drier, and both times you'll end up with tough pastry.  I think this must be why some people buy shortcrust ready made.

I just blitz the fucker in a food processor  Grin

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 10:23:48 am »

^^ that ^^

When we lived in NL we made friends with an Indonesian family Mrs YI was teaching English to. We had some exquisite food at their place (some of it beyond the threshold of Capsaicin pain -- loved it). When we invited them to our place they asked for typically British food. Mrs YI made biscuits, scones, cake, and treacle suet pud, and I made Cornish pasties. The bloke recorded it all on a video camera. Wish I had a copy. They loved the whole thing -- even their kids.

[Cultural Note: Cigarettes flavoured with cloves really stink.]

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: