The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 08:12:37 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
118240 Posts in 5531 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Aubrey
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Che at 50
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Che at 50  (Read 101 times)
Suheil

A man from the east

« on: October 09, 2017, 04:01:32 am »

The Global Citizen
Viva la Revolucion
Vive la résistance

A Light Weaver
AnnieOakley

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 01:42:12 pm »

Are you a big fan of Che?

The dogs bark, the caravan passes.

You meet the same people on the way up as you do on the way down.
What Larks

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 01:19:06 pm »

This is like walking into Round Britain Quiz.  I always thought  Che Guevara died before he was 40, but maybe he escaped after all and eked out his days in a cave in Jordan.  He could be living still on a Greek island like John the apostle, writing down his revelations for his disciples to puzzle over instead of getting on with the Guarduan crossword like normal people.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.”
― Dorothy Parker
Weyland
Administrator

Thank you, Rafa!

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 02:04:28 pm »

This is like walking into Round Britain Quiz.  I always thought  Che Guevara died before he was 40, but maybe he escaped after all and eked out his days in a cave in Jordan.  He could be living still on a Greek island like John the apostle, writing down his revelations for his disciples to puzzle over instead of getting on with the Guarduan crossword like normal people.

Correction, Lark -- it's the Grauniad crossword.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 02:14:49 pm »

Normal people do the Guardian crossword?? Huh?

What Larks

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 02:48:00 pm »

Normal people do the Guardian crossword?? Huh?

Well, l don't.  I struggle with the children's picture crossword in the local rag.  But l always fancied that Revelations was a trick devised by a bored old man  (some authorities say lots of naughty old men) to keep scholars  amused and off the streets.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.”
― Dorothy Parker
Weyland
Administrator

Thank you, Rafa!

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 05:10:24 am »

Well, l don't.  I struggle with the children's picture crossword in the local rag.  But l always fancied that Revelations was a trick devised by a bored old man  (some authorities say lots of naughty old men) to keep scholars  amused and off the streets.

Some might say the whole Bible fits that description. Not to mention some other holy books I'm not mentioning.  Cool

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 07:25:18 am »

Some might say the whole Bible fits that description. Not to mention some other holy books I'm not mentioning.  Cool

Why not mention them?  They are all just books written by men.

Weyland
Administrator

Thank you, Rafa!

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 07:57:39 am »

Why not mention them?  They are all just books written by men.

We're all -- Jews, Christians, Muslims -- the People of the Book. Christians just added to the existing Jewish version and Islam added to the resultant fictional anthology. All made up by males, as you say, unless you believe in the One True God and/or Angels, whose sex seems to be indeterminate. Or not?

Probably one of the better features of the Church of Rome is that there's no particular emphasis or expectation of Bible reading. At least at neither of the Catholic schools I attended. I do keep a Bible, as it happens, for historical and cultural purposes. Douai version, of course,

What Larks

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 09:26:11 am »

Of course if Che were to be writing his equivalent of Revelations it would be a Marxist version to ensure atheists as screwed up everyone else.

― Dorothy Parker
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: