The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 08:27:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
118240 Posts in 5531 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Aubrey
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Catalonians being battered into submission on live TV.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Catalonians being battered into submission on live TV.  (Read 153 times)
Mister Fantastic

« on: October 01, 2017, 01:37:32 pm »

Not much condemnation at the moment.

I'm watching some of most sickening scenes of state controlled violence against people trying to advocate free speech that I can remember. I could understand it if it was in a country run by a despot/dictator but Spain...really?

The video on the link provided is a very hard watch. Thank fuck we're leaving behind these fascist BASTARDS!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2017/oct/01/catalan-independence-referendum-spain-catalonia-vote-live

Fucking disgraceful!

Catalan referendum: muted response from EU leaders over police crackdown
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/01/catalan-referendum-eu-leaders-remain-muted-over-police-crackdown

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:55:19 pm by Mister Fantastic » Logged

Dr Taj Hargey, Chairman, Muslim Education Centre Oxford :
No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
Riotgrrl

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 03:50:11 pm »

WTF are Madrid thinking?

I've no great insight into Spanish or Catalan politics, but shouldn't they just have let them vote, then said 'oh well, it was an illegal vote so we can just ignore it'?

The silence and mealy-mouthed words from EU states, British political leaders (except Nic obv.) is telling.
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 04:09:03 pm »

WTF are Madrid thinking?

I've no great insight into Spanish or Catalan politics, but shouldn't they just have let them vote, then said 'oh well, it was an illegal vote so we can just ignore it'?

The silence and mealy-mouthed words from EU states, British political leaders (except Nic obv.) is telling.

Riot,
Yes, well done Sturgeon and Belgium's PM. They have probably lost a future position on the EU gravy train.

It actually makes you wonder where we are heading. Is this the future?

Yes
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 04:20:27 pm by Mister Fantastic » Logged

No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 04:28:27 pm »

Boris; pathetic.

Responding to the unfolding crisis, Boris Johnson, the Foreign Secretary, told the Daily Telegraph last night: "Obviously we are very anxious about any violence. We hope that things will sort themselves out, though clearly you have to be sensitive to the constitutional proprieties."
He added: "As I understand it the referendum is not legal, so there are difficulties."

everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 04:53:57 pm »

I can't understand why the referendum is 'illegal'.  What reason does Spain give?  I can remember going on holiday with Mr Ev (before we were married) in 1969 to the Costa Brava, and even then it was obvious many of the people there didn't consider themselves Spanish.  It's disgraceful this is happening.  Supposedly 60% of Catalans don't want independence (according to Guy Verhofstadt) so if that really is the case, what has Spain got to lose by letting a referendum go ahead?

Mister Fantastic

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 07:01:18 pm »

Still waiting for condemnation from EU leaders.

The clock is ticking.

Mister Fantastic

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 03:52:51 am »

Interesting.

The Guardian comment section is a complete joke. Must of the unwashed, liberal charlatans on there seem to be advocating that the Catalonians deserved a kicking due to them participating in a illegal ballot. Anyone who doesn't follow the fascist EU line is scum to them.

This is just another nail in the EU coffin. Smiley

mikado

a Nineteenth Century pseudo-Oriental nightmare

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 06:35:01 am »

I can't understand why the referendum is 'illegal'.  What reason does Spain give?  I can remember going on holiday with Mr Ev (before we were married) in 1969 to the Costa Brava, and even then it was obvious many of the people there didn't consider themselves Spanish.  It's disgraceful this is happening.  Supposedly 60% of Catalans don't want independence (according to Guy Verhofstadt) so if that really is the case, what has Spain got to lose by letting a referendum go ahead?

I assume that the Catalonian government doesn't have the legal power to order a referendum on secession (at least, according to the Spanish Constitutional Court who made the legal ruling).

No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts
mikado

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 06:37:35 am »

WTF are Madrid thinking?

Yes to all of that.  Appalling response by the Spanish government, and predictably pathetic response from the European governments. Kudos to Sturgeon.

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 06:53:13 am »

Yes to all of that.  Appalling response by the Spanish government, and predictably pathetic response from the European governments. Kudos to Sturgeon.

What did they possibly think they were achieving ?

I know a few spaniards. my puke wall is getting loads of horrible stuff from them.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 07:13:47 am by ymrader » Logged

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 08:44:55 am »

What did they possibly think they were achieving ?

I know a few spaniards. my puke wall is getting loads of horrible stuff from them.

It was EU army practice.

Riotgrrl

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 06:16:32 am »

I assume that the Catalonian government doesn't have the legal power to order a referendum on secession (at least, according to the Spanish Constitutional Court who made the legal ruling).

Yes.

But there is a huge difference between something being not legal (i.e. not binding in law) and something being criminal.

The use of police force should be restricted to when things are criminal, not just unlawful or not legal.
mikado

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 08:09:17 am »

Yes.

But there is a huge difference between something being not legal (i.e. not binding in law) and something being criminal.

The use of police force should be restricted to when things are criminal, not just unlawful or not legal.

Quite right.

And even if this is strictly criminal (I assume it's considered secession) then it's clearly not necessary to have paramilitary thugs dragging women around by their hair.

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 08:14:15 am »

Quite right.

And even if this is strictly criminal (I assume it's considered secession) then it's clearly not necessary to have paramilitary thugs dragging women around by their hair.

They should be allowed a proper referendum, that one was spoiled...

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: