The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 08:08:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
118240 Posts in 5531 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Aubrey
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Get that Son Of A Bitch off the field
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Get that Son Of A Bitch off the field  (Read 177 times)
Mister Fantastic

« on: September 23, 2017, 09:02:09 am »

Now that's a classic.

I wish he was negotiating Brexit for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z753TSAnB8Y

Dr Taj Hargey, Chairman, Muslim Education Centre Oxford :
No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
Riotgrrl

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 03:39:51 pm »

I don't understand why it's a kneeling gesture.   It seems supplicant-ish (is that word?)  But I'm sure I'm missing something.  What?
everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 06:10:50 am »

I don't understand why it's a kneeling gesture.   It seems supplicant-ish (is that word?)  But I'm sure I'm missing something.  What?

I had the same reaction, Riot.  By kneeling, they look like they're humbling themselves.  But,like you say, maybe we're not getting it.

vladimir

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 02:00:11 pm »

I think that's the point.  Because it's the National Anthem, you don't want your protest to be offensive.  This was supposed to be a respectful expression of disagreement with institutional racism. 

Once again, my countrymen sadden me.  Michael Vick tortures dogs to death and his return to the NFL is met with nary a peep.  Someone wants to protest racism, not with rioting, or violence, or looting but with a 100% symbolic gesture and you'd think it was the end of the world.

A wise man said, "You can't step in the same stream twice," but I find wet feet soon get caked with sand and grit.  That's very unpleasant, especially between the toes.  So when I go for a stroll I stay on the sidewalk.
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 02:34:56 pm »

I think that's the point.  Because it's the National Anthem, you don't want your protest to be offensive.  This was supposed to be a respectful expression of disagreement with institutional racism.  

Once again, my countrymen sadden me.  Michael Vick tortures dogs to death and his return to the NFL is met with nary a peep.  Someone wants to protest racism, not with rioting, or violence, or looting but with a 100% symbolic gesture and you'd think it was the end of the world.

Why do it in front off 100'000 paying fans, who the majority are probably very patriotic? Surely there are better ways to protest.

Although it's frowned upon on here, some people enjoy the patriotism and camaraderie before a sporting event. It is disrespecting a time honoured tradition. Who thought it up, I'm guessing 'Black Lives Matter'.

The photo below doesn't look good.

White players holding their heart. Black players down on a knee. And one seems to be doing the Black Power stance.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:42:25 pm by Mister Fantastic » Logged

No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
vladimir

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 02:45:29 pm »

Why do it in front off 100'000 paying fans, who the majority are probably very patriotic? Surely there are better ways to protest.

Although it's frowned upon on here, some people enjoy the patriotism and camaraderie before a sporting event. It is disrespecting a time honoured tradition. Who thought it up, I'm guessing 'Black Lives Matter'.

The photo below doesn't look good.

White players holding their heart. Black players down on a knee. And one seems to be doing the Black Power stance.

Saluting flags and standing up during songs isn't patriotic.  It's nationalistic.  Adhering to ritualism isn't patriotic, trying to make your country a better place is.

A wise man said, "You can't step in the same stream twice," but I find wet feet soon get caked with sand and grit.  That's very unpleasant, especially between the toes.  So when I go for a stroll I stay on the sidewalk.
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 02:59:49 pm »

Saluting flags and standing up during songs isn't patriotic.  It's nationalistic.  Adhering to ritualism isn't patriotic, trying to make your country a better place is.

Some people don't know the difference. If tpeople think that singing the anthem is patriotic, what's wrong with that?

All these black players were singing the anthem a few weeks ago. Were nationalistic while doing this or patriotic?

Riotgrrl

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 03:11:44 pm »

I think that's the point.  Because it's the National Anthem, you don't want your protest to be offensive.  This was supposed to be a respectful expression of disagreement with institutional racism. 

Once again, my countrymen sadden me.  Michael Vick tortures dogs to death and his return to the NFL is met with nary a peep.  Someone wants to protest racism, not with rioting, or violence, or looting but with a 100% symbolic gesture and you'd think it was the end of the world.

So the whole thing is 'deliberately respectful'?   It seems like a cool thing to do.  It's a Black Lives Matter thing, isn't it?  Not a protest against Trump per se?
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 03:23:37 pm »

So the whole thing is 'deliberately respectful'?   It seems like a cool thing to do.  It's a Black Lives Matter thing, isn't it?  Not a protest against Trump per se?

It's is supposed to be 'deliberately' disrespectful 'as Black Lives Matter loves to court controversy. It is a movement similar to the Nation Of Islam that was prominent in the 60's. They also used black sportsmen to highlight their grievances. They are using Trump (because he's stupid) as a means for sympathy but I think they need to be watched carefully.

Mister Fantastic

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 03:27:10 pm »

If an England footballer went down on one knee during our national anthem...he'd fucking stay on it. Grin

vladimir

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 04:30:12 pm »

It started over a year ago, while Obama was still in office.  The main thing was cops shooting unarmed black men, so no... originally it had nothing to do with Trump.  He has managed to hijack it though.  By coming out against it, it is now almost all about protesting Trump.

Quelor

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 02:21:25 pm »

Still the best summation of this nonsense...

<o> \o/ <o> \o/ <o> \o/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: