The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 08:12:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
118240 Posts in 5531 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Aubrey
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Uber lose London
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Uber lose London  (Read 162 times)
Mister Fantastic

« on: September 22, 2017, 01:45:06 pm »

They will win an appeal after concessions.

It serves them right. They have continued to flaunt the rules and acted in an arrogant way as if they are untouchable. Hiding sexual assaults should be an instant shutdown in my opinion. I notice that the younger generation are incandescent at this decision due to the price they will have to pay if Uber are banned. Personally I would pay double rather than getting in a car with someone who is unsuitable to taxi me. Labour's Mayor Khan rubber stamped the ban. Maybe the youngsters can go to 'Ooh Jeremy Corbyn' for help.  Smiley

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/22/uber-licence-transport-for-london-tfl

Dr Taj Hargey, Chairman, Muslim Education Centre Oxford :
No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 02:21:37 pm »

Haha, fucking idiots.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4910052/Twitter-reacts-living-London-without-Uber.html

No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 04:10:58 pm »

I don't often hail a taxi when I'm in town, but on the rare occasion that I have it's always a black cab.  These people have done 'The Knowledge' and should know London inside out.  I wouldn't touch Uber with a barge pole.

Weyland
Administrator

Thank you, Rafa!

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 03:14:30 am »

I don't often hail a taxi when I'm in town, but on the rare occasion that I have it's always a black cab.  These people have done 'The Knowledge' and should know London inside out.  I wouldn't touch Uber with a barge pole.

Long before Uber, I once got a minicab from Shepherd's Bush to London City Airport. Had to get a map out of my bag and guide the driver, who didn't seem to have heard of it.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 10:14:19 am »

Long before Uber, I once got a minicab from Shepherd's Bush to London City Airport. Had to get a map out of my bag and guide the driver, who didn't seem to have heard of it.

Of course they have their sat navs now, but I still prefer a black cab as the drivers are more knowledgable about London.

everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 10:20:58 am »

Listening to comments on the radio this morning, it was pathetic.  Uber are a comparatively recent addition to London but you'd have been forgiven for assuming they were there alongside Hansom cabs!  Everything was going to go tits up because of Uber losing their licence to operate. Christalmighty, snowflakes, get over it.  Try walking or taking the Tube or bus.

Mister Fantastic

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 10:52:31 am »

Listening to comments on the radio this morning, it was pathetic.  Uber are a comparatively recent addition to London but you'd have been forgiven for assuming they were there alongside Hansom cabs!  Everything was going to go tits up because of Uber losing their licence to operate. Christalmighty, snowflakes, get over it.  Try walking or taking the Tube or bus.

Corbyn's children are at their wits ends. They are now going to have to talk to another human being if they want to order a taxi.

I would pay good money to anyone who could block all mobile phones for 24 hours.

Can you imagine the carnage? Grin

everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 10:58:17 am »

Corbyn's children are at their wits ends. They are now going to have to talk to another human being if they want to order a taxi.

I would pay good money to anyone who could block all mobile phones for 24 hours.

Can you imagine the carnage? Grin

I've said for ages that I'd love all mobile phones to be blocked for a day.  I wonder if they'd be queues at phone boxes?  Shouldn't think so, there never used to be.

Having said that, I'd hate to be without mine.  Cheesy

Mister Fantastic

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 11:24:28 am »

Ban them.

TFL has accused the firm of a string of failures it believes are putting the public at risk. These include failing to report serious criminal offences and instances of bogus medical certificates.
There are also concerns over the way Uber conducts background checks to see if drivers have a criminal record.
All would-be drivers in London must be checked against the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Until recently Uber worked with a firm called Onfido to carry out the checks. But earlier this month TfL announced all firms must use its contractor GB Group. It followed a string of criminal behaviour by Uber drivers.
TfL is also worried about the firm’s use of software called Greyball, which has been used in the US to evade regulators by blocking their access to the app. This has allowed some drivers to work in cities where they do not have a licence. Uber has insisted it does not do this in London.

Mister Fantastic

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 01:29:06 pm »

Khan has totally bottled it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41384499

Red Herring

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 04:59:01 am »

They'll be back, they're just too popular for a ban to last. In the meantime people will just use mini-cabs.

I haven't a shred of sympathy for the London Black Cabs. They've been lucky to have their monopoly for as long as they have, but if they can't compete with Uber and minicabs it's probably because they are extortionately expensive, and not as reliable. The Knowledge isn't anything like as valuable as it once was now that we have Sat Navs. It's quaint - but worthless.

Anyway, it won't be too long before they're all out of jobs once driverless cars get up and running.

Red
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 05:16:20 am by Red Herring » Logged
everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 07:14:39 am »

They'll be back, they're just too popular for a ban to last. In the meantime people will just use mini-cabs.

I haven't a shred of sympathy for the London Black Cabs. They've been lucky to have their monopoly for as long as they have, but if they can't compete with Uber and minicabs it's probably because they are extortionately expensive, and not as reliable. The Knowledge isn't anything like as valuable as it once was now that we have Sat Navs. It's quaint - but worthless.

Anyway, it won't be too long before they're all out of jobs once driverless cars get up and running.

Red

I hope they adhere to safety regulations if they return, otherwise there'll be nothing but compensation claims.  I prefer black cabs.  They might be 'quaint' and more expensive, but they are professional, rather than cheap and nasty. 

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: