The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 10:34:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
117887 Posts in 5580 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Aubrey
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  OK, let's get a big, "don't worry, I'm alright" from everyone in London please.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: OK, let's get a big, "don't worry, I'm alright" from everyone in London please.  (Read 266 times)
vladimir

« on: September 15, 2017, 09:34:48 am »

I don't know how big the incident was... just want to check on everyone.

A wise man said, "You can't step in the same stream twice," but I find wet feet soon get caked with sand and grit.  That's very unpleasant, especially between the toes.  So when I go for a stroll I stay on the sidewalk.
Red Herring

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 10:07:49 am »

It didn't go off properly, 22 injured apparently - mainly with burns, but no serious harm done as far as I can make out. Needless to say there will be a collective panic, and lots of ranting and raving - then it will be business as usual.

More Londoners died in the Grenfell fire than have died from terrorism in the past twenty years - and that's including 7/7. Annually, the number of London cyclists killed by traffic accidents far exceeds the numbers killed by terrorism.

You should be asking us if we're still alive every day ;-)

Red
vladimir

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 10:23:20 am »

Annually, the number of London cyclists killed by traffic accidents far exceeds the numbers killed by terrorism.

You should be asking us if we're still alive every day ;-)

Red

OK, moving forward... who on the board rides a bike in London?

A wise man said, "You can't step in the same stream twice," but I find wet feet soon get caked with sand and grit.  That's very unpleasant, especially between the toes.  So when I go for a stroll I stay on the sidewalk.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 10:30:12 am »

OK, moving forward... who on the board rides a bike in London?

Red rides one. On the pavement (sidewalk). Antisocial and illegal. Obviously he should be in jail. Gets cyclists a bad name.

Disclaimer: I live in Wales. I'm the only one with a bike within at least 15 miles, and there are no sidewalks anyway.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Red Herring

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 10:32:40 am »

Red rides one. On the pavement (sidewalk). Antisocial and illegal.

Guilty as charged. I'm an authentic urban terrorist, far more deadly than these four lions pretenders with their white buckets in Lidl bags.

Red
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 01:03:56 pm »

Yes vlad, there's nothing to worry about.
Do you know you are statistically more likely to be stabbed to death on a London street by a Muslim extremist than to be blown up by a bucket bomb planted on a London train by a Muslim extremist.

Happy days. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 02:57:34 pm by Mister Fantastic » Logged

Dr Taj Hargey, Chairman, Muslim Education Centre Oxford :
No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 05:26:50 pm »

To be killed in a terrorist attack, you'd have to be in just the wrong place at the wrong time.  My family carried on as usual through WW2 with bombs dropping all around them.  Everyone had to carry on then and they had a far greater chance of being killed.  It won't stop me going to London, although I will probably be very suspicious of anyone carrying a knapsack (ie just about every young person)  Smiley  Or a Lidl bag.

Red Herring

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 06:17:21 am »

Good article in the Telegraoh, which illustrates clearly how minimal the threat is:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/many-people-killed-terrorist-attacks-uk/

And from the Sun:

Compare that to this:

Red
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:24:20 am by Red Herring » Logged
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 12:18:01 pm »

Which is why you're to be found cycling on the pavement (for which I can't blame you)  Wink

Red Herring

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 06:24:50 pm »

Which is why you're to be found cycling on the pavement (for which I can't blame you)  Wink

Cheers Ev, I appreciate the support.

And for what it's worth, fatalities from pavement cyclists = a big fat 0. We're not nearly as deadly as I like to pretend we are.

Red
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 04:22:56 am »

Cheers Ev, I appreciate the support.

And for what it's worth, fatalities from pavement cyclists = a big fat 0. We're not nearly as deadly as I like to pretend we are.

Red

Red, I know we've discussed this before, but bicycles are far safer on the pavement. I always feel very nervous when I drive near cyclists.  A pothole in the road could send a cyclist straight under my wheels.  In Chelmsford, we have a few divided pavements where cyclists can ride.  It's a shame they didn't widen the pavements a bit along London's Embankment instead of making a dedicated cycle lane in the road.  I'm sure there would have been far less disruption.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: