The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 01:16:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
118196 Posts in 5526 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Aubrey
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Brexit -- UK leaving the European Union
| | | |-+  77% of Leave voters want migrants already living in Britain to stay
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 77% of Leave voters want migrants already living in Britain to stay  (Read 337 times)
Mister Fantastic

« on: September 04, 2017, 03:06:24 pm »

See, it wasn't all about immigration like we told you all. Yet, you have socially uneducated morons like man-student labelling anyone who voted to leave the EU a racist. He should stop hiding and come on here and apologize. Smiley

More than eight out of 10 people in the UK believe EU migrants already living in Britain should be allowed to remain after Brexit, including 77% of Leave voters.
The figures are revealed in new poll for the British Future thinktank which wants a “national conversation” on immigration as part of a comprehensive review of a system in which, it says, “the public has lost all confidence”.
In its new report, “What next after Brexit? Immigration and integration in post-referendum Britain”, British Future claims that its ICM poll confirms that the majority of people in post-referendum Britain fall into what calls the “anxious middle” – while concerned about the pressures of high migration, they also accept the benefits that migrants bring to the economy and wider society.

Dr Taj Hargey, Chairman, Muslim Education Centre Oxford :
No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 03:18:42 pm »

See, it wasn't all about immigration like we told you all. Yet, you have socially uneducated morons like man-student labelling anyone who voted to leave the EU a racist. He should stop hiding and come on here and apologize. Smiley

More than eight out of 10 people in the UK believe EU migrants already living in Britain should be allowed to remain after Brexit, including 77% of Leave voters.
The figures are revealed in new poll for the British Future thinktank which wants a “national conversation” on immigration as part of a comprehensive review of a system in which, it says, “the public has lost all confidence”.
In its new report, “What next after Brexit? Immigration and integration in post-referendum Britain”, British Future claims that its ICM poll confirms that the majority of people in post-referendum Britain fall into what calls the “anxious middle” – while concerned about the pressures of high migration, they also accept the benefits that migrants bring to the economy and wider society.

Cutting to the chase, then, that translates as "We now realise that voting to leave the EU was a very bad idea, and we should really forget it ever happened and carry on as if it didn't. If they'll have us."

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 03:22:20 pm »

Cutting to the chase, then, that translates as "We now realise that voting to leave the EU was a very bad idea, and we should really forget it ever happened and carry on as if it didn't. If they'll have us."

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. Smiley

No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 03:27:18 pm »

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. Smiley

I like the "Yeah" part.

We could always try praying for deliverance.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
ben wedge

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 02:26:56 pm »

Translation is not your strong subject, is it?

Lone Ranger
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 12:48:29 am »

Translation is not your strong subject, is it?

How many languages do you speak ?

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
ben wedge

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 11:17:13 am »

Since Weyland was claiming to interpret English into English I fail to see the relevance of your question

Lone Ranger
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 11:31:52 am »

Well I speak the most popular one, thankfully. Smiley

Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 12:15:35 pm »

Since Weyland was claiming to interpret English into English I fail to see the relevance of your question

Whatever you say, Ben.

Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 12:30:21 pm »

Well I speak the most popular one, thankfully. Smiley

You speak Mandarin? You and 1.2 billion others.

ben wedge

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 12:37:26 pm »

Whatever you say, Ben.

You took a post written in English, stated "that translates as" and gave a different meaning

I would suggest that that doesn't involve any foreign language and is simply your own faulty interpretation of what the writer actually said

Hence my comment that your interpretative skills are lacking and my reply as to the irrelevance of how many foreign languages I speak since there is no foreign language involved

Happy to explain for you since it would appear that comprehension is also not one of your strong subjects Wink Grin

Lone Ranger
everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 01:39:00 pm »

You speak Mandarin? You and 1.2 billion others.

Cheesy. I think he meant the one that is popular with many countries!  Mandarin's popular because there are billions of Chinese people. Living in China.

Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 02:09:23 pm »

You took a post written in English, stated "that translates as" and gave a different meaning

I would suggest that that doesn't involve any foreign language and is simply your own faulty interpretation of what the writer actually said

Hence my comment that your interpretative skills are lacking and my reply as to the irrelevance of how many foreign languages I speak since there is no foreign language involved

Happy to explain for you since it would appear that comprehension is also not one of your strong subjects Wink Grin

It's an idiom, Ben.

Your post quoted above translates as "I haven't a blinking clue what an idiom is." No need to thank me.

ben wedge

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 04:15:10 pm »

It's an idiom, Ben.

Your post quoted above translates as "I haven't a blinking clue what an idiom is." No need to thank me.

Oh, I know an idiot when I see one alright Wink

Lone Ranger
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 04:16:36 pm »

^owns a mirror

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
ben wedge

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 04:17:35 pm »

^owns a mirror

So, was it an idiom or was it a translation?

Lone Ranger
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 04:25:36 pm »

So, was it an idiom or was it a translation?

Keine Ahnung, ich glaube, es war ein straw man von strawben

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 05:59:31 pm »

^owns a mirror

Made me lol

ben wedge

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 06:56:42 pm »

Made me lol

Mmmm, I found it quite childish for an intelligent multilinguist

Not even in the same league as my witty idiom Grin

Lone Ranger
Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2017, 03:03:12 am »

Link, please.

Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2017, 03:04:03 am »

But enough about MrF.

everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2017, 05:09:14 am »

I was telling it like it was.  I actually did laugh out loud.  I laugh at jokes or insults about you. And Weyland.  And Rader. And Myky. And Mr. F. 
Everyone in fact.

Except me of course.  Cool

ben wedge

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2017, 09:38:52 am »

Keine Ahnung, ich glaube, es war ein straw man von strawben

Bollox!

The subject is whether Weyland's 'understanding' of Mr F's post was an 'idiom' or an 'interpretation'

I asked for your opinion as to which. there is nothing in there from me.

Do you ever just answer a question?

Lone Ranger
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2017, 10:14:36 am »

Bollox!

The subject is whether Weyland's 'understanding' of Mr F's post was an 'idiom' or an 'interpretation'

What makes you think your post warrants one ?

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2017, 11:04:07 am »

Bollox!

He hasn't got any answers. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: