The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 05:54:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
117888 Posts in 5580 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Aubrey
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Brexit -- UK leaving the European Union
| | | |-+  Barnier: to "teach the British people and others what leaving the EU means".
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Barnier: to "teach the British people and others what leaving the EU means".  (Read 1712 times)
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2017, 12:08:23 pm »

You mean you don't know? Join the club -- May, Davis, Fox, Johnson, all the other kindred MPs, and 17 million wrecksiteers.

It's the EU who are saying we owe them you fool. How come they don't know the exact figure?

Idiots!

Dr Taj Hargey, Chairman, Muslim Education Centre Oxford :
No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2017, 12:14:41 pm »

It's the EU who are saying we owe them you fool. How come they don't know the exact figure?

Idiots!

They do. You and your fellow fools don't have a clue. In other words, business as usual.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2017, 12:18:12 pm »

They do. You and your fellow fools don't have a clue. In other words, business as usual.

How much?

No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2017, 12:33:19 pm »

How much?

Ask a UK negotiator. Please hold your breath.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
ben wedge

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2017, 02:23:47 pm »

So what is the figure?

Lone Ranger
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2017, 02:49:57 pm »

Ask a UK negotiator. Please hold your breath.

The UK keep asking, the EU idiots cannot construct a bill that would stand up in court. animated laugh

You might want to give up mate. Grin

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2017, 03:23:56 am »

The UK keep asking, the EU idiots cannot construct a bill that would stand up in court. animated laugh

You might want to give up mate. Grin

Give up what? Have you won another of your famous victories?

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2017, 03:25:41 am »

So what is the figure?

No idea, pal. Never said I knew. As I said, ask Davis and his motley crew.

Mister Fantastic

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2017, 05:49:07 am »

Give up what? Have you won another of your famous victories?

Yep. Smiley

ben wedge

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2017, 02:07:32 pm »

No idea, pal. Never said I knew. As I said, ask Davis and his motley crew.

As I understand the situation, they can't get an answer either

Lone Ranger
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2017, 02:25:43 pm »

As I understand the situation, they can't get an answer either

Imagine my surprise. Not up to the job, any of 'em. Where's Harry Worth when we need him?

Mister Fantastic

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2017, 02:46:12 pm »

Imagine my surprise. Not up to the job, any of 'em. Where's Harry Worth when we need him?

So they don't have a number, they just pulled a figure out of the air. Grin

Twats.

ben wedge

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2017, 12:12:43 pm »

All blindingly obvious long before the referendum. Join a club and you enjoy the things club members get. Leave it and you lose them. End.

But now we have deluded fools leading the deluded uninformed and worse -- and the rest of us -- to a non-existent Promised Land.

We've been through all this already

I have no problem with paying what we are committed to, but no-one has indicated what that includes. There has been no mention of what the 'rulebook' says about members wishing to leave. Why should there be any 'penalty'?

To continue your club analogy, if I leave a club I accept that I no longer have access to it's assets......but I don't expect to continue to pay my membership fees so that remaining members can continue to enjoy them

So far as we know the 'leaving fee' the EU will impose could possibly be even more than our current contribution

We have been net contributors from the day we joined, I see no reason why we should continue subsidising the trough after we leave, do you? - If so, on what grounds?

Lone Ranger
ben wedge

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2017, 12:48:23 pm »

It's OUR fault that the EU negotiators can't/won't give an answer?

Are you sure that it is not the EU negotiators that are unable answer any major question without referring back to the other 27 member States?

I am assuming that the member States DO have some say in the matter or is this another example of the EU higher echelons simply doing what they like, regardless?

Seems fairly obvious that our negotiators are there to represent the UK, the EU negotiators are representing 27 separate individual members. Logically the EU would have to consult their membership before giving a committed answer?

Lone Ranger
mikado

a Nineteenth Century pseudo-Oriental nightmare

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2017, 10:35:59 am »

I have no problem with paying what we are committed to

You're more generous than the UK Government position, which appears to be that the UK doesn't owe anyone anything.

There has been no mention of what the 'rulebook' says about members wishing to leave. Why should there be any 'penalty'?

To continue your club analogy, if I leave a club I accept that I no longer have access to it's assets......but I don't expect to continue to pay my membership fees so that remaining members can continue to enjoy them

So far as we know the 'leaving fee' the EU will impose could possibly be even more than our current contribution

We have been net contributors from the day we joined, I see no reason why we should continue subsidising the trough after we leave, do you? - If so, on what grounds?

A complicating factor is that the UK wishes to leave one club (the EU) and immediately join another club (countries that can trade tariff-free with the EU countries). 

No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts
ben wedge

« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2017, 04:57:26 pm »

You're more generous than the UK Government position, which appears to be that the UK doesn't owe anyone anything.

A complicating factor is that the UK wishes to leave one club (the EU) and immediately join another club (countries that can trade tariff-free with the EU countries). 

Shouldn't make anything more difficult or alter what we need to pay to leave

Treat it as 2 separate transactions

Lone Ranger
mikado

« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2017, 05:26:55 pm »

Difficult, as neither side will want to concede on the one issue unless they think they can get a good deal overall.

ben wedge

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2017, 06:47:08 pm »

Difficult, as neither side will want to concede on the one issue unless they think they can get a good deal overall.

....and the clock is ticking

Since they appear unable to progress on the TWO issues, surely the only way forwards is to deal with leaving, then move on to future trade deals

The second round should be easier since we will know what concessions have been made in round one and can take those into account in round 2?

Not being awkward, just trying to figure out how negotiations can be progressed, nothing seems to be moving at present - which is no help to either camp

Lone Ranger
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2017, 02:05:12 am »

....and the clock is ticking

Since they appear unable to progress on the TWO issues, surely the only way forwards is to deal with leaving, then move on to future trade deals

Good plan, and it's what Barnier has been saying since day one.

Step 1: Get rid of Davis, Fox, and Johnson.

Riotgrrl

« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2017, 04:04:13 am »

" Get it up you the British establishment. "

Another one who seems to relish the thought of the UK suffering just so long as they can say 'told you so'........even though they are tied to the UK for the foreseeable future

Started campaigning for Catalunian independence yet Wink

I relish the thought of the corrupt elitist British establishment suffering, yes.  Unfortunately, undoubtedly it will be the poor and the workers who suffer from Brexit.  The establishment will look after their own as usual.

Ben, if you're into a culture of deference and knowing your place, that's up to you. 

Oh yeah, and I don't really care for the UK as a political unit.  I think we all knew that.
Riotgrrl

« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2017, 04:05:22 am »

Further complication must be that the EU constitutional documents don't include guidance for a member state wishing to leave, do they?  Or am I wrong?
ben wedge

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2017, 11:34:45 am »

I relish the thought of the corrupt elitist British establishment suffering, yes.  Unfortunately, undoubtedly it will be the poor and the workers who suffer from Brexit.  The establishment will look after their own as usual.

Ben, if you're into a culture of deference and knowing your place, that's up to you. 

Oh yeah, and I don't really care for the UK as a political unit.  I think we all knew that.

I'm not sure exactly who " the corrupt elitist British establishment" are. Can you clarify?

We are all aware that you are not a lover of the UK as a political unit.........what do you think of the EU as a political unit?

Lone Ranger
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2017, 11:57:05 am »

I'm not sure exactly who " the corrupt elitist British establishment" are. Can you clarify?

We are all aware that you are not a lover of the UK as a political unit.........what do you think of the EU as a political unit?

All I know is that it would be a great idea -- at least compared to the shite that passes as politicians here, of whatever party. And with our primitive "democracy", and the obvious ignorance of much of the electorate -- even the ones who bother to vote -- there is little if any hope of improvement.

But, of course, we are now doomed to remain in the outer darkness.

mikado

« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2017, 12:28:21 pm »

Further complication must be that the EU constitutional documents don't include guidance for a member state wishing to leave, do they?  Or am I wrong?

I think you're right.  Kinda like the UK really.

Riotgrrl

« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2017, 04:32:40 am »

I could definte 'the corrupt elitist British establishment', but it's a rhetorical device and i'm not feeling particularly soap-boxy today.  Don't we all have a general idea of who they are without the need to debate the exact parameters of the membership?

I think the EU is a relatively incoherent political unit, but a pretty tight trading one.  In my lifetime its political role has increased (for example, its recognition of newly independent Balkan states was an important move), but for the most part its not a unit that hugely impacts upon our lives in terms of politics.   It's the council who decide what our schools are like and when our bins get collected, not the EU.  The political (as opposed to economic) impact of the EU has been quite limited so far.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: