The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 10:34:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
117887 Posts in 5580 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Aubrey
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Brexit -- UK leaving the European Union
| | | |-+  Barnier: to "teach the British people and others what leaving the EU means".
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Barnier: to "teach the British people and others what leaving the EU means".  (Read 1708 times)
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 06:04:24 am »

Yet

https://img.rt.com/files/2016.05/original/5731cb51c3618876118b459c.jpg

Apparently almost half of German citizens want a referendum on remaining in the EU

It seems reasonable to assume that there is a movement to leave - otherwise why call for a referendum?

Anyways, you seem to have missed my point totally

Had there been a smooth exit for UK others would consider it. If, on the other hand, leaving is made as difficult and expensive as possible other govenrments are likely to stick with the status quo

Pretty obvious really. Of course, sooner or later in a 'democracy' the PsTB have to listen to the citizens wishes and act accordingly, and the man in the street in the net contributing nations  (rightly or wrongly) distrusts the EU as being good for their own national interests.

Recipient nations of course see things differently

Pasting shite from the express is truly desperate  animated laugh

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/media/daily-mirror-to-buy-the-irrational-fears-of-britains-elderly-racists-20170908135366
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 06:19:40 am by ymrader » Logged

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
mikado

a Nineteenth Century pseudo-Oriental nightmare

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 06:16:11 am »

All blindingly obvious long before the referendum. Join a club and you enjoy the things club members get. Leave it and you lose them. End.

But now we have deluded fools leading the deluded uninformed and worse -- and the rest of us -- to a non-existent Promised Land.

Ben's point is that the EU wants to punish the UK beyond loss of "club benefits" in order to dissuade any other country from leaving.

That seems plausible to me.  It also seems to me that it's fairly obvious that the EU, as an entity that no longer has the UK's interests at heart, is certainly going to try to strike a deal that benefits the EU as far as possible.  Just as the UK will try to get a deal that benefits the UK.

No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 06:30:09 am »

Ben's point is that the EU wants to punish the UK beyond loss of "club benefits" in order to dissuade any other country from leaving.

That seems plausible to me.  It also seems to me that it's fairly obvious that the EU, as an entity that no longer has the UK's interests at heart, is certainly going to try to strike a deal that benefits the EU as far as possible.  Just as the UK will try to get a deal that benefits the UK.

All utterly predictable. My money's on the EU. Even if we did have a few competent people in charge.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
mikado

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2017, 07:06:51 am »

All utterly predictable. My money's on the EU. Even if we did have a few competent people in charge.

If it's a battle of wits between David Davis and Michel Barnier, the UK is doomed.  However there's a chance that Davis will win simply by saying "No" repeatedly until the EU gives up in despair.

Riotgrrl

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2017, 07:08:56 am »

Well that sounds more than a little familar.

The British establishment made it clear to Scotland that, if we decided to vote for our independence in 2014, we were to be punished very severely for that, including threats of hard borders (despite there then being a soft border between N Ireland and the Republic), etc.

As you sow, so you shall reap.  Get it up you the British establishment.
mikado

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2017, 09:14:01 am »

Yes it's pretty much exactly the same situation in reverse.

All the media, politcos and pundits whinging about the "bullying EU" were proposing exactly the same behaviour towards Scotland.

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2017, 09:21:42 am »

If it's a battle of wits between David Davis and Michel Barnier, the UK is doomed.  However there's a chance that Davis will win simply by saying "No" repeatedly until the EU gives up in despair.

Win what?

Every utterance of Davis, Fox, or Johnson makes it less likely we'll win anything.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
ben wedge

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2017, 11:20:54 am »

Are you disputing the IPSOS findings?

Lone Ranger
ben wedge

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2017, 11:25:25 am »

Well that sounds more than a little familar.

The British establishment made it clear to Scotland that, if we decided to vote for our independence in 2014, we were to be punished very severely for that, including threats of hard borders (despite there then being a soft border between N Ireland and the Republic), etc.

As you sow, so you shall reap.  Get it up you the British establishment.

" Get it up you the British establishment. "

Another one who seems to relish the thought of the UK suffering just so long as they can say 'told you so'........even though they are tied to the UK for the foreseeable future

Started campaigning for Catalunian independence yet Wink

Lone Ranger
ben wedge

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2017, 11:29:45 am »

Yes it's pretty much exactly the same situation in reverse.

All the media, politcos and pundits whinging about the "bullying EU" were proposing exactly the same behaviour towards Scotland.

Well they certainly counselled that Scotland would ultimately be better off remaining part of the UK.

Just as we were advised that Uk would be better off remaining in the EU.

I happen to agree with both positions, but we are where we are

The analogy falls apart inasmuch as Wales and NI are not chomping at the bit to leave the UK so there is no need to frighten them

Lone Ranger
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2017, 11:30:13 am »

My money's on the EU

You mean support.

Dr Taj Hargey, Chairman, Muslim Education Centre Oxford :
No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
ben wedge

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2017, 11:42:32 am »

Whereas the daily mash isn't? Roll Eyes

If you don't like the IPSOS results, try the Pew 'Spring 2017 Global Attitudes Survey....on the other hand perhaps you had better not , seems that they came to the same conclusions as IPSOS and we wouldn't want your world view challenged, now would we? Grin

Lone Ranger
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2017, 12:09:27 pm »

If you don't like the IPSOS results, try the Pew 'Spring 2017 Global Attitudes Survey....on the other hand perhaps you had better not , seems that they came to the same conclusions as IPSOS and we wouldn't want your world view challenged, now would we? Grin

daily mash

I really expected it to be topically funny, it wasn't.

No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
mikado

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2017, 12:31:58 pm »

Win what?

Every utterance of Davis, Fox, or Johnson makes it less likely we'll win anything.

You're a Dilbert aficionado, you know how it works.  Davis is the Pointy Haired Boss.  Everything goes over his head, but he wins by refusing to accept anyone else's view.

Insofar as Dilbert's firm is winning.

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2017, 01:59:15 pm »

It's satire, dipshit.

You c&p some express nonsense as fact without the balls to source it.

My Weltanschauung is always challenged.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2017, 03:45:08 pm »

daily mash

I really expected it to be topically funny, it wasn't.

Comedy offers little solace for the right these days. I guess you can dredge up jim davidson on YouTube.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2017, 03:51:02 pm »

Comedy offers little solace for the right these days. I guess you can dredge up jim davidson on YouTube.

I like left wing comedy and I get it all on here...it's been of the highest quality since June 23 2016. Grin

I really should thank you all. Smiley

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2017, 04:15:40 pm »

I like left wing comedy and I get it all on here...it's been of the highest quality since June 23 2016. Grin

I really should thank you all. Smiley

^ totes swerves.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
ben wedge

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2017, 04:22:25 pm »

It's satire, dipshit.

You c&p some express nonsense as fact without the balls to source it.

My Weltanschauung is always challenged.

Ermm, it is the result of a poll , is it relevant who commissioned it, or who p0ublished it (I didn't get it from the Express so I cannot comment. I do consider IPSOS and Pew as being on the better end of polling

I aske if you disputed the result - no response

I asked if you had seen the Pew survey, no response

So, DO you dispute the results?

Lone Ranger
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2017, 04:30:39 pm »

Ermm, it is the result of a poll , is it relevant who commissioned it, or who p0ublished it (I didn't get it from the Express so I cannot comment. I do consider IPSOS and Pew as being on the better end of polling

I aske if you disputed the result - no response

I asked if you had seen the Pew survey, no response

So, DO you dispute the results?

It is from express, therefore yes i dispute it. As is your cut and paste, so you are lying.

I can go to town on stats and data, spent my life on them.

Go for it, I'll tear you a factual new arse.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
ben wedge

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2017, 06:49:00 pm »

It is from express, therefore yes i dispute it. As is your cut and paste, so you are lying.

One thing I have learned about stats is that they are trotted out by experts to prove their case - unless they don't , in which case they tell us that stats are unreliable

From your response I take it that you dispute the 2 I have referred to? On what grounds?

Note that neither indicate that the respondents want to leave the EU, it was MY observation that there seemed little point in wanting a referendum to retain the status quo

Perhaps you would care to comment on that .... or even produce some sort of evidence to refute the polls findings

Then again, you obviously prefer straw donkeys Grin Grin

Lone Ranger
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2017, 04:18:12 am »

Mmm,

Well you do have a history of telling massive whoppers followed by threats of legal action for questioning the story.

But I'll play anyway. Smiley

Again...

Could you have a look through you're EU literature to see if you can find the divorce figure we keep asking the EU for. I would like it itemized line by line and don't forget to deduct the EU assets that we have contributed to?

Danke freundlich Smiley

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2017, 10:17:25 am »

Mmm,

Well you do have a history of telling massive whoppers followed by threats of legal action for questioning the story.

But I'll play anyway. Smiley

Again...

Could you have a look through you're EU literature to see if you can find the divorce figure we keep asking the EU for. I would like it itemized line by line and don't forget to deduct the EU assets that we have contributed to?

Danke freundlich Smiley

L

What a load of shite. Yer trolling is getting worse fanny.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2017, 11:03:18 am »

What a load of shite. Yer trolling is getting worse fanny.

You keep missing my question.

What is the figure you owe us. Please flick through your document, it must be there.

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2017, 11:28:11 am »

You keep missing my question.

What is the figure you owe us. Please flick through your document, it must be there.

You mean you don't know? Join the club -- May, Davis, Fox, Johnson, all the other kindred MPs, and 17 million wrecksiteers.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: