The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 10:22:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
118204 Posts in 5527 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Aubrey
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  sex equality ion Berlin......
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: sex equality ion Berlin......  (Read 378 times)
ben wedge

« on: August 11, 2017, 04:35:30 pm »

.......but won't it result in wet floors? Embarrassed

Now, the Berlin city authorities plan to address the issue of gender equality in public toilets, as they seek to redevelop the city's conveniences.

All locations that currently have a male-only "pissoir" (public urinal facility) should only exist in combination with unisex toilets, a 99-page city strategy paper called "the toilet concept" concludes.

"In the future urinals which can be used by all genders should be offered," the paper says.

It is not yet clear whether standing up to urinate will be acceptable to most Berlin women, or whether they will demand screens and/or separate cubicles.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40899902

Lone Ranger
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 05:00:48 am »

Already is in many clubs.

Plus most changing rooms are mixed.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
ben wedge

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 07:23:43 am »

Already is in many clubs.

Plus most changing rooms are mixed.

Unisex toilets are nothing new, it was the unisex urinals that are

How many ladies use the urinals?

Lone Ranger
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 12:34:09 pm »

How the fuck would I know.

Men or women.

Binary

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 12:47:29 pm »

In the UK CCTV would provide such statistics.  Grin

Possibly not in other countries.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
ben wedge

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 03:52:05 pm »

How the fuck would I know.

Men or women.

Binary

Sorry, I forgot that we have to spell everything out on here......Unisex toilets are old hat, it is the urinal that I find difficult to accept. Can't see why anyone would propose such a thing

What I meant was DO women use urinals?

ie is it PRACTICAL ?

bennetta says she can't imagine any women attempting to wee standing at a urinal as shown in the proposed unisex urinal

The only thing in their favour is that the amount of water that would be saved compared to WCs

Don't worry about it it won't catch on, just thought it was of light hearted interest

Lone Ranger
everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 03:36:04 am »

Don't worry about it it won't catch on, just thought it was of light hearted interest

Ben, you're a long standing board member, so you surely know by now there is no such thing as a light-hearted topic here.  We argue about everything.  The joke is that the board is actually called Great World DEBATE.   Cheesy

Snotty

Science Fiction rules,you know it makes sense

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 05:24:13 am »

Women hum,much more than men,bogs should be separate!

everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 07:35:28 am »

Women hum,much more than men,bogs should be separate!

Angry

ben wedge

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 08:08:44 am »

Ben, you're a long standing board member, so you surely know by now there is no such thing as a light-hearted topic here.  We argue about everything.  The joke is that the board is actually called Great World DEBATE.   Cheesy

True, but my interest is piqued now

Can we argue about the mechanics female urination?

Would it be possible to use the urinal depicted?

Would it be easier facing forward or backwards?

Would it be easier with a dress or a skirt?

Body stocking would presumably be out of the question?

Will unisex pissoirs make an appearance in UK?

First world problem?

Lone Ranger
everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 08:31:27 am »

First world problem?

Ben, it would only be possible with a Shewee.  Google it  Grin

I can't really see that many women would be prepared to stand next to a bloke at the urinals.  Is this what's really planned?  Yes, unisex bogs have been common for quite a while, and I have no problem with that, but surely everyone wants privacy when they're having a wee, so as long as I can shut the door, I'm fine with it.

One point though, and blokes cover your eyes or put your hands over your ears now if you're squeamish, but young women have something called PERIODS.  So using a urinal would be a definite no-no at a certain time of the month. 

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 09:35:28 am »

I was in a gay club at a free gig. They just had toilets there was no difference. Anyone could use them.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 10:30:00 am »

I was in a gay club at a free gig. They just had toilets there was no difference. Anyone could use them.

Were there doors?  If so, then that's fine.  I'd hate to see anyone else taking a crap.

ben wedge

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 12:03:05 pm »

Yep, I've seen unisex toilets in several places......my problem is the unisex urinals

Lone Ranger
ben wedge

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 12:08:07 pm »

Ben, it would only be possible with a Shewee.  Google it  Grin

I can't really see that many women would be prepared to stand next to a bloke at the urinals.  Is this what's really planned?  Yes, unisex bogs have been common for quite a while, and I have no problem with that, but surely everyone wants privacy when they're having a wee, so as long as I can shut the door, I'm fine with it.

One point though, and blokes cover your eyes or put your hands over your ears now if you're squeamish, but young women have something called PERIODS.  So using a urinal would be a definite no-no at a certain time of the month. 

God, you learn some odd things on here Embarrassed

...but...."When finished, pull the Shewee away and wipe"

With what? There is no toilet tissue provided at a urinal?

Sorry, I really cannot envision female urinals catching on....unless water becomes VERY scarce Wink

Lone Ranger
everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 12:44:37 pm »

God, you learn some odd things on here Embarrassed

...but...."When finished, pull the Shewee away and wipe"

With what? There is no toilet tissue provided at a urinal?

Sorry, I really cannot envision female urinals catching on....unless water becomes VERY scarce Wink

Me neither. 

Myky D

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 11:23:34 am »

The Berlin crowd do appear to be quite radical and forward-thinking. Very progressive and non-judgemental.

I can see how that can be frightening for some.
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 12:16:56 pm »

The Berlin crowd do appear to be quite radical and forward-thinking. Very progressive and non-judgemental.

You can now wee sitting down without being embarrassed. I'm surprised that this isn't standard for London men's public toilets. Grin

Dr Taj Hargey, Chairman, Muslim Education Centre Oxford :
No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 11:39:14 am »

Cheesy

Now, really!

everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 11:41:04 am »

How is it non judgemental? 

mikado

a Nineteenth Century pseudo-Oriental nightmare

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 09:44:58 am »

First world problem?

In the words of the sage... "there's websites for that"

No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts
Riotgrrl

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 12:39:42 pm »

Ben, I don't think women can easily use urinals, and for disabled or frail/elderly women impossible, as there is a sort of squat action that might be necessary.

A woman in trousers has to remove all garments from her lower body to urinate, and I can't see many women being happy to do that in public, especially in front of men, but maybe younger women or women of a different culture would see it differently.  (And a woman in a playsuit or jumpsuit has to disrobe to her bra too.)

And, as Everso said, periods are an issue.  Both as women need to change and dispose of soiled pads and tampons, and also because of flooding while urinating, which would mean the neutral urinals would be blood-soaked.  Offputting for everyone unless there's a constant flush.

Gender neutral toilets with individual cubicles can be fine, provided they are in a public corridor and not away at the back of a building where people are vulnerable to assaults by predatory or violent humans.
ben wedge

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 04:31:24 pm »

Ben, I don't think women can easily use urinals, and for disabled or frail/elderly women impossible, as there is a sort of squat action that might be necessary.

A woman in trousers has to remove all garments from her lower body to urinate, and I can't see many women being happy to do that in public, especially in front of men, but maybe younger women or women of a different culture would see it differently.  (And a woman in a playsuit or jumpsuit has to disrobe to her bra too.)

And, as Everso said, periods are an issue.  Both as women need to change and dispose of soiled pads and tampons, and also because of flooding while urinating, which would mean the neutral urinals would be blood-soaked.  Offputting for everyone unless there's a constant flush.

Gender neutral toilets with individual cubicles can be fine, provided they are in a public corridor and not away at the back of a building where people are vulnerable to assaults by predatory or violent humans.

Yep, I agree with all of that

The bottom line then is that all that will change is that women will have access to male toilets - some men will find it disconcerting to have women walking past them at the urinals en route to a cubicle (although some would be delighted, no doubt)
So the only change will be that the cubicles will always be full and we will end up queueing like women often do now Angry

Lone Ranger
everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 04:41:49 pm »

So the only change will be that the cubicles will always be full and we will end up queueing like women often do now Angry

It's a bummer, Ben  (pun intended)

ben wedge

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2017, 06:26:20 pm »

It's a bummer, Ben  (pun intended)

Grin

The only upside is that I recall Riot chastising me that holding a door open for a lady etc was sexist....so I won't be allowing females to go into a cubicle first as I would have done in the bad old days when I foolishly thought that that was the gentlemanly thing to do Grin Grin

Lone Ranger
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: