The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 10:37:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
117887 Posts in 5580 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Aubrey
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  New Zealand
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New Zealand  (Read 260 times)
ymrader
Administrator

« on: August 18, 2017, 09:41:47 am »

Been arguing about their stringent biosecurity entrance rules with a kiwi.

I think it's a load of pony.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Myky D

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 10:17:09 am »

Nothing to hide, nothing to zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Red Herring

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 09:06:33 am »

They probably work better in New Zealand than they would elsewhere, because it is so remote and hard to get to.

Still, I think generally biosecurity is more hassle than it's worth, a lot of work for very little benefit. No country can truly seal itself off.

Mrs. Herring once bought a tiny rug from a stall in China, and took it back to England. She kept on her dresser. One day she came home to find the whole thing writhing with a load of maggot like creatures had appeared. Completely freaky, like something out of a horror film. I doubt even New Zealand's biosecurity would have picked it up though.

Red
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 10:07:11 am »

They probably work better in New Zealand than they would elsewhere, because it is so remote and hard to get to.

Still, I think generally biosecurity is more hassle than it's worth, a lot of work for very little benefit. No country can truly seal itself off.

Mrs. Herring once bought a tiny rug from a stall in China, and took it back to England. She kept on her dresser. One day she came home to find the whole thing writhing with a load of maggot like creatures had appeared. Completely freaky, like something out of a horror film. I doubt even New Zealand's biosecurity would have picked it up though.

Red

Thing is the horse has already bolted. Domestic cats wiped out species of birds, it's developed to fuck and they shoot all sorts of animals to protect the grea swathes of land they cover with that well known indigenous species, the sheep.

My mate was saying they used to dredge a river with plant machinery. Not exactly biodiversity.

But fuck if I get caught bringing in a sarnie or some soil on me shoes.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 11:47:47 am »

It's true, New Zealand (along with Oz) is paranoid about their biosecurity.  However, I have to say, I'm not happy about the vast numbers of Kiwi fruit that is imported to this country.  I'm severely allergic to it.  I ate some fruit salad when we were in a B & B in Richmond recently and although I didn't actually eat any kiwi fruit, the very fact that it had lain next to some strawberries brought my lips up to a full pout.  I looked like Mick Jagger in the old days.

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 12:48:36 pm »

It's true, New Zealand (along with Oz) is paranoid about their biosecurity.  However, I have to say, I'm not happy about the vast numbers of Kiwi fruit that is imported to this country.  I'm severely allergic to it.  I ate some fruit salad when we were in a B & B in Richmond recently and although I didn't actually eat any kiwi fruit, the very fact that it had lain next to some strawberries brought my lips up to a full pout.  I looked like Mick Jagger in the old days.

Take back control of your kiwi fruit !

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 01:37:10 pm »

Take back control of your kiwi fruit !

Rader it was dreadful.  I looked a sight.

mikado

a Nineteenth Century pseudo-Oriental nightmare

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 02:03:03 pm »

Thing is the horse has already bolted. Domestic cats wiped out species of birds, it's developed to fuck and they shoot all sorts of animals to protect the grea swathes of land they cover with that well known indigenous species, the sheep.

My mate was saying they used to dredge a river with plant machinery. Not exactly biodiversity.

But fuck if I get caught bringing in a sarnie or some soil on me shoes.

Perhaps the bio-risks in imported food and soil are something completely different to dredging rivers or shooting large mammals?

The Aussies are paranoid about bio-security, to the extent that you can't transport fruit across state lines, for fear of spreading things like fruit flies and beetles.  (Apparently the fruit flies can't cross state borders unaided.)

No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 02:45:28 pm »

Perhaps the bio-risks in imported food and soil are something completely different to dredging rivers or shooting large mammals?

The Aussies are paranoid about bio-security, to the extent that you can't transport fruit across state lines, for fear of spreading things like fruit flies and beetles.  (Apparently the fruit flies can't cross state borders unaided.)

More so now they have irrevocably changed the bio anyway

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
mikado

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 07:56:05 am »

More so now they have irrevocably changed the bio anyway

Sure, they're trying to protect the current bio - including crops - not return it to some prehistoric state.

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 10:21:48 am »

Sure, they're trying to protect the current bio - including crops - not return it to some prehistoric state.

I'm sure the Maoris would have something to say about that  Smiley

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
mikado

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 12:20:04 pm »

I'm sure the Maoris would have something to say about that  Smiley

I think there's a fair few Kiwis that think of themselves as Maori heritage.  What do they have to say?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: