The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2018, 05:00:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119122 Posts in 5697 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Brexit -- UK leaving the European Union
| | | |-+  Jacob Rees-Mogg
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Jacob Rees-Mogg  (Read 2040 times)
TGK

Sex, Drugs and Sausage rolls.

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2018, 09:36:16 am »

East coast line, state took it over, got it profitable and then the Tories flogged it again

May be we have moved on since the dark days of the 70's, in fact we have, as previously discussed. I'd be in favour of re-nationalising at least one of the utility companies as a trial, be it water, leccy or gas to see if it works. Never been a fan of essential services being run on a 'for-profit' basis.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2018, 02:33:58 pm »

Can't say I really understood Ben's post, but that's a hurtful leap.

Clearly you didn't understand any of the exchanges: if it was a compliment, then Ben would be a Nazi sympathizer. if it was not, then it was irony, a cheap bit of fun with the German thing that Brits like to make, despite it being very stale after half a century. Believe me, I was married to a German and lived in the UK with him for a number of years.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2018, 03:02:05 pm »

Clearly you didn't understand any of the exchanges: if it was a compliment, then Ben would be a Nazi sympathizer. if it was not, then it was irony, a cheap bit of fun with the German thing that Brits like to make, despite it being very stale after half a century. Believe me, I was married to a German and lived in the UK with him for a number of years.

Nein. I know 'über alles' was in the anthem long before Hitler was in power.  In fact, even before Deutschland came into being as such.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2018, 04:40:15 pm »

Nein. I know 'über alles' was in the anthem long before Hitler was in power.  In fact, even before Deutschland came into being as such.

That is irrelevant, considering what the words came to mean under the Nazis. It is no wonder that immediately after the war the words of the national anthem were modified.
ben wedge

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2018, 06:44:44 pm »

That is irrelevant, considering what the words came to mean under the Nazis. It is no wonder that immediately after the war the words of the national anthem were modified.

To clarify, I am well aware of the change to the anthem, as Weyland rightly points out the original predates the Nazi era (and there is no prohibition on its use today)

However it was meant as a reference to the constant and unwavering propaganda by ymrader of the superiority of everything German over everything British

There is indeed much to be admired in the industriousness of the German population - but the (it can fairly describes as hatred imo) hatred of anything British suggests to me that the phrase 'Deutschland uber alles, uber alles in der velt' would is a fair representation of the views he has expressed consistently over the years and as such cannot conceivably be taken as some sort of insult

(No windmills were tilted at in the production of these posts Wink)

Lone Ranger
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2018, 03:10:57 am »

To clarify, I am well aware of the change to the anthem, as Weyland rightly points out the original predates the Nazi era (and there is no prohibition on its use today)

However it was meant as a reference to the constant and unwavering propaganda by ymrader of the superiority of everything German over everything British

There is indeed much to be admired in the industriousness of the German population - but the (it can fairly describes as hatred imo) hatred of anything British suggests to me that the phrase 'Deutschland uber alles, uber alles in der velt' would is a fair representation of the views he has expressed consistently over the years and as such cannot conceivably be taken as some sort of insult

So, as I said, a cheap shot. But not, as most cheap shots, illegal as you point out.

BTW: it's "welt" not velt.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 03:32:46 am by Dutch Rosie » Logged
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2018, 04:16:54 am »

So, as I said, a cheap shot. But not, as most cheap shots, illegal as you point out.

It's "Welt", not "welt". All nouns take a capital letter in German.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2018, 06:56:00 am »

Ad hominem leg humper returns   animated laugh

Nothing of note to say, just have a dig at the poster. Repetitive and tedious and predictable.

I prefer "Auferstanden aus Ruinen" myself

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2018, 06:57:28 am »

He can't write anything but cheap shots.

A keyboard warrior of little substance.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2018, 07:06:27 am »

May be we have moved on since the dark days of the 70's, in fact we have, as previously discussed. I'd be in favour of re-nationalising at least one of the utility companies as a trial, be it water, leccy or gas to see if it works. Never been a fan of essential services being run on a 'for-profit' basis.

The gov get a mahoosive tax income from it. There are private lines but not too many. They are private companies like any other just owned by the state. DB has it's paws in all sorts of shit. It's massive.

Brexit is a shame, I think DB were floating the idea of a London to the east line, maybe Prague, dont remember.

My leccy is expensive but is 75% renewable. And the company hosts a free 3 day festival every year for the town. Seen loads of new acts over the years. Tom Jones, Rick astley, bonny tiler, Mike n the mechanics, simple minds and Lionel Ritchie.

Money gets put back into the community and most of the shit is pretty new.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2018, 07:08:14 am »

Cheap shot.

Expect nothing less, Ben sets the bar pretty low.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2018, 07:33:29 am »

I got it daily at school....

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2018, 07:44:04 am »

Let's face it, it must be very hard for many nationalistic/jingoistic Brits to hear how life is for expats in Germany and Holland. I worked in Germany before coming to the Netherlands and could hardly believe my good luck: a month's extra holiday pay (on top of being paid for one's holiday days), excellent and affordable health service with no queues, security of tenure for tenants, sick pay of 73% of one's salary for up to two years, etc etc. Some Brits I told all this to simply said "we don't believe you." Others did a bit of singing: "Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles...
ben wedge

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2018, 03:56:55 pm »

Expect nothing less, Ben sets the bar pretty low.

Yeah, so you said in post 58.

Are you losing your memory...or are you just trying to increase the traffic to make the dead board look busier

Be fair, the  post accurately summarises the views you openly and regularly express on here, does it not?

I don't see the problem

Lone Ranger
ben wedge

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2018, 04:02:32 pm »

Ohoh, here come the grammar police

I was always told that that was not etiquette...but if you wish to correct my typos (which I make plenty of in English) feel free, but at least Weyland pointed out a grammatical error as opposed to a typo, which has been stored in the benbrain and will not happen again

g?ajnuna tieg?ek huwa apprezzat Wink

Lone Ranger
ben wedge

« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2018, 04:08:35 pm »

Ad hominem leg humper returns   animated laugh

Nothing of note to say, just have a dig at the poster. Repetitive and tedious and predictable.

I prefer "Auferstanden aus Ruinen" myself

At least you don't have the gall to try to deny it Grin

Lone Ranger
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2018, 04:39:58 pm »

Ohoh, here come the grammar police

I was always told that that was not etiquette...but if you wish to correct my typos (which I make plenty of in English) feel free, but at least Weyland pointed out a grammatical error as opposed to a typo, which has been stored in the benbrain and will not happen again

g?ajnuna tieg?ek huwa apprezzat Wink

FFS, get a life. It is not a grammatical matter to confuse the world and  a wide open rural landscape in Southern Africa.

Your etiquette lessons were obviously inadequate but it is never too late to learn.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 04:49:18 pm by Dutch Rosie » Logged
ben wedge

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2018, 07:08:49 pm »

FFS, get a life. It is not a grammatical matter to confuse the world and  a wide open rural landscape in Southern Africa.

Your etiquette lessons were obviously inadequate but it is never too late to learn.

I didn't suffer any such confusion - and I am quite certain that no-one reading the thread did either

I clearly made a Freudian slip....ve all know zat ze Krauts cannot pronounce their W's and perhaps I was sunbconciously trying to assist, who knows

The matter, surely, is of little consequence when the meaning is perfectly apparent

As to etiquette....you're having a larf, surely

Sacre bleu

Lone Ranger
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2018, 02:30:23 am »

Yeah, so you said in post 58.

Are you losing your memory...or are you just trying to increase the traffic to make the dead board look busier

Be fair, the  post accurately summarises the views you openly and regularly express on here, does it not?

I don't see the problem

Because you are incapable of debate.

Snide remarks and nothing more.....

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2018, 02:41:48 am »

Hell's bells, Ben, you sound just like Captain Mainwaring, that combination of injured dignity and bluster to cover his own pathetic foolishness.
ben wedge

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2018, 10:22:57 am »

Hell's bells, Ben, you sound just like Captain Mainwaring, that combination of injured dignity and bluster to cover his own pathetic foolishness.

I ain't got no dignity

Tilting at windmills and snide remarks are apparently my forte apparently Grin

Lone Ranger
Dutch Rosie

« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2018, 11:11:37 am »

I ain't got no dignity

Tilting at windmills and snide remarks are apparently my forte apparently Grin

Are you in drink, Ben? I would say apparently you are.

I note you have now switched codes to Cockney or black American English.

BTW: How many foreign languages have you mastered? Just asking.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2018, 11:32:25 am »

Rosie: You've been away from GWD too long to appreciate the background of Ben's comments. For example, I have accused him of tilting at windmills many times.

I usually don't agree with Ben -- though he didn't vote for Brexit -- but I'm not sure accusing him of being three sheets to the wind and not multilingual is good for the Great World Debate.

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2018, 01:07:13 pm »

Rosie: You've been away from GWD too long to appreciate the background of Ben's comments. For example, I have accused him of tilting at windmills many times.

I usually don't agree with Ben -- though he didn't vote for Brexit -- but I'm not sure accusing him of being three sheets to the wind and not multilingual is good for the Great World Debate.

And I doubt whether the following from Ben is good for GWD:

"ve all know zat ze Krauts cannot pronounce their W's"

Why is it unreasonable to then ask this person (who judges "krauts" and their imperfect pronunciation of English) how many foreign languages he himself has mastered? Or for that matter whether he is in drink? Let's face it, this does seem somewhat tipsy:

"snide remarks are apparently my forte apparently"

My daughter is a "Kraut" but could teach him a thing or two about his own language.

But I am not here to argue with mods and will refrain from speaking irritably but not abusively without understanding why. If Ben needs special handling, then so be it.
ben wedge

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2018, 01:27:24 pm »

Rosie, I can appreciate that in isolation my comments on this thread appear obnoxious

Take my word for it that I have nothing against Germany or the  Germans, the whole thing is simply a dig at the Fu,,,,oops I mean YM's , endless praise for all things German and derogation of all things British, nothing more

Sorry it it gave you the wrong impression and upset you. Ditto ze Kraut reference

Allowances requested for senility and cantankericity

Lone Ranger
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: