The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 16, 2018, 04:56:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119360 Posts in 5716 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Brexit -- UK leaving the European Union
| | | |-+  Jacob Rees-Mogg
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Jacob Rees-Mogg  (Read 2668 times)
Mister Fantastic

« on: February 01, 2017, 03:14:15 pm »

When you have had enough Mrs May please pass the baton to the UK's brightest and most honest politician.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:40:17 pm by mister fantastic » Logged

Dr Taj Hargey, Chairman, Muslim Education Centre Oxford :
No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 03:41:27 pm »

When you have had enough Mrs May please pass the baton to the UK's brightest and most honest politician.

I like this bloke.  A toff, though, so might not be popular.  Grin

Mister Fantastic

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 03:58:59 pm »

Man-students will hate him.

No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 04:00:02 pm »

We agree on so many things, maybe we are made for each other.  Kiss

drippinhun

The good old U.S. - living in a kakistocracy

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 05:37:40 pm »

Be sure to wipe your chin.

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds the criticsms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." Herman Melville.

Trump drains swamp and installs open-air septic tank.
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 09:59:07 am »

Roll Eyes

You wish, ducky

Mister Fantastic

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 12:47:46 pm »

Roll Eyes

You wish, ducky

Daily.  Wink

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 06:17:53 am »

Seen on FaceBook: "Rees-Mogg -- he’s a stupid person’s idea of a clever person."

Rees-Mogg is one of MrF's favourite Selfservatives.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
TGK

Sex, Drugs and Sausage rolls.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 05:33:02 am »

Holy shit.

If Corbyn is the unelectable face of the Labour Party, then Rees-Mogg is the conservative equivalent.

No doubt he seems to be principled, but he's basically Michael Gove or John Redwood without the err intellect.....or with the err......charisma.

And those names or attributes can be swapped to suit.

He's a hero to the right, but he has as much chance of winning an election as a Norwich major standing on a no incest ticket.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 10:27:29 am »

Holy shit.

If Corbyn is the unelectable face of the Labour Party, then Rees-Mogg is the conservative equivalent.

No doubt he seems to be principled, but he's basically Michael Gove or John Redwood without the err intellect.....or with the err......charisma.

And those names or attributes can be swapped to suit.

He's a hero to the right, but he has as much chance of winning an election as a Norwich major standing on a no incest ticket.

Labour now lead the Tories in polls.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
TGK

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 01:41:16 pm »

Labour now lead the Tories in polls.

And that is the worst fucking nightmare. Seriously, this shit needs to stop.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 03:18:39 am »

The worst nightmare is that this shit -- the status quo -- doesn't stop.

Tories, including Blair, have been running the UK since 1979. That's why we're in such a mess. I've just returned after three weeks on the Continent, and the gap is widening. This country's infrastructure, governance, democracy, and just about any other benchmark, in practically any comparison with that of our nearest neighbours, are pathetic, and it's getting worse by the day, even without Brexit, which can only accelerate the process.

The biggest problem with electing Labour now is that they would get the blame when the Brexit damage is in full flood. Corbyn deserves that, but the country and the Labour Party and its members do not.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 03:48:16 am »

Why ?

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
TGK

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 03:49:46 am »

The worst nightmare is that this shit -- the status quo -- doesn't stop.

Tories, including Blair, have been running the UK since 1979. That's why we're in such a mess. I've just returned after three weeks on the Continent, and the gap is widening. This country's infrastructure, governance, democracy, and just about any other benchmark, in practically any comparison with that of our nearest neighbours, are pathetic, and it's getting worse by the day, even without Brexit, which can only accelerate the process.

The biggest problem with electing Labour now is that they would get the blame when the Brexit damage is in full flood. Corbyn deserves that, but the country and the Labour Party and its members do not.

Ha ha ha ha. We're calling 1979 a highpoint now are we?Huh??. Please return me to the broad sunlit uplands of the winter of discontent. Take me back to the halcyon days of bodies not being buried. I'm getting misty eyed.

The biggest joke here is Corbyn is old school hard left. They hated the EU/EEC. In 1983 when the loonies were running the asylum it was a stated Labour Party manifesto aim to leave the EEC and Corbyn was fully on board with that.

He was hopeless in the latest referendum, utterly shit, there's reams of words written about how the Remain campaign was exasperated with him.

Corbyn almost uniformly opposed Blair, who was probably the most pro-European prime minister we've ever had, Blair wanted to join the Euro.

Almost all significant pro-European treaties have been signed by a Tory. Heath took us in, Thatcher signed the Treaty Of Rome, Major signed Maastricht.

Cameron and Osborne both lost their jobs as a result of losing the referendum because they were so pro staying in. Corbyn didn't feel the same obligation. Funny that.

Apparently today he's going to say he wants to stay in a customs union, because he wants to distance himself from the Tories and he can put clear blue water between his position and the Tories. There's probably votes in it, but it's about as far from a principled position as you can imagine.

What a joke.

If you, and others want that Thundercunt in charge of the country then maybe we deserve it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 04:02:25 am by TGK » Logged
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 04:17:46 am »

Ha ha ha ha. We're calling 1979 a highpoint now are we?Huh??. Please return me to the broad sunlit uplands of the winter of discontent. Take me back to the halcyon days of bodies not being buried. I'm getting misty eyed.

The biggest joke here is Corbyn is old school hard left. They hated the EU/EEC. In 1983 when the loonies were running the asylum it was a stated Labour Party manifesto aim to leave the EEC and Corbyn was fully on board with that.

He was hopeless in the latest referendum, utterly shit, there's reams of words written about how the Remain campaign was exasperated with him.

Corbyn almost uniformly opposed Blair, who was probably the most pro-European prime minister we've ever had, Blair wanted to join the Euro.

Almost all significant pro-European treaties have been signed by a Tory. Heath took us in, Thatcher signed the Treaty Of Rome, Major signed Maastricht.

Cameron and Osborne both lost their jobs as a result of losing the referendum because they were so pro staying in. Corbyn didn't feel the same obligation. Funny that.

Apparently today he's going to say he wants to stay in a customs union, because he wants to distance himself from the Tories and he can put clear blue water between his position and the Tories. There's probably votes in it, but it's about as far from a principled position as you can imagine.

What a joke.

If you, and others want that Thundercunt in charge of the country then maybe we deserve it.

All I said was that Tories have been running the UK since 1979. The rest is your own froth. The fact is that things <cough> can only get better. It's a shame Corbyn happens to be leader at this point, but it's still better than what's in power now.

The only country more thoroughly Thatchered than the UK is Russia, but May and her bosses are working on closing the gap.

TGK

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 04:22:51 am »

Okay, leaving aside the 'froth', you again use 1979 as a dividing point, and 1979 wasn't a highpoint. You can't pretend it was.

In fact the seventies on the whole weren't great.

Power cuts, the three day week, the IMF loan. I could go on.

We're almost in Churchill territory here. The Tories are the worst form of government, apart from all the others we have tried.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 07:24:49 am »

Okay, leaving aside the 'froth', you again use 1979 as a dividing point, and 1979 wasn't a highpoint. You can't pretend it was.

In fact the seventies on the whole weren't great.

Power cuts, the three day week, the IMF loan. I could go on.

We're almost in Churchill territory here. The Tories are the worst form of government, apart from all the others we have tried.

The 70s weren't great anywhere.

The Tories are the worst form of government, you are correct.

Slash, burn, sell off.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 07:34:21 am »

The 70s weren't great anywhere.

The Tories are the worst form of government, you are correct.

Slash, burn, sell off.

"The few, not the many." -- kcopS rM

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 08:10:34 am »

"The few, not the many." -- kcopS rM

I know this ossie bint who is always whingeing about how there was nothing I east Germany in the 70s.

Remember what a shithole Newcastle was then ?

It was hardly the land of riches. There is So much choice these days.

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
TGK

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 08:47:00 am »

This is like trying to nail jelly to a ceiling.

On the one hand we have Weyland saying that the Tories have been in charge since 1979 and that's why we are in such a mess.

Then we have YMrader saying things have got so much better since the seventies.

All the while you both seem to be trying to agree with each other.

I hope you get the cultural reference when I say "to me, to you".

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2018, 08:49:43 am »

I know this ossie bint who is always whingeing about how there was nothing I east Germany in the 70s.

Remember what a shithole Newcastle was then ?

It was hardly the land of riches. There is So much choice these days.

I never thought Newcastle was a shithole, kidda. It never was, and it isn't now. Thatcher couldn't Thatcherise the people of that city, no matter how hard she tried. And she tried very hard.

TGK: Everywhere in NW Europe has long ago overtaken the UK in just about everything. We'd be less far behind if Thatcher had never been born. Simple as that.

Dutch Rosie

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2018, 08:57:45 am »

I thought Newcastle was a shit hole, in fact I thought the whole north-east was. Cheesy
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 09:09:58 am »

I thought Newcastle was a shit hole, in fact I thought the whole north-east was. Cheesy

Years ago you also told me you think Portmeirion is a shithole, Rosie. I dare say you're not fond of Assen either. Too much negativity.

Wrang side a the watta. Incurable.

TGK

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2018, 09:25:15 am »

"Everywhere in NW Europe has long ago overtaken the UK in just about everything."

Yes it had, pre '79 by the way. The term 'sick man of Europe' wasn't coined for the UK, but it was applied to us aplenty during the late sixties and seventies.

"We'd be less far behind if Thatcher had never been born. Simple as that."

.......And if my Aunty had a cock and balls she'd be my Uncle.

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2018, 09:37:57 am »

Where do you live, TGK? Where have you lived? What do you do for a living? Just curious.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: