The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 09:44:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
117889 Posts in 5581 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Aubrey
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  I Voted
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: I Voted  (Read 4789 times)
Dan

« on: October 12, 2016, 01:22:16 pm »

Absentee voting is the best thing evah!  No lines...no hecklers...Florida even has a nice little website so you can track your ballot and make sure its counted.  Yay.
Rasta

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 01:31:20 pm »

I really enjoy going to the polls and voting.

You gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get into that boy's soul
Biss

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 01:50:52 pm »

I and all of my handles are voting again this year.

drippinhun

The good old U.S. - living in a kakistocracy

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 02:45:05 pm »

I voted twice.

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds the criticsms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." Herman Melville.

Trump drains swamp and installs open-air septic tank.
Slacker420
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 02:49:46 pm »

I voted twice.

Canceled yourself out?

Slacker420

“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.”
-- Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow
drippinhun

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 02:54:56 pm »

Canceled yourself out?

Slacker420

No. Truthfully, Hillary got two votes from me.

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds the criticsms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." Herman Melville.

Dan

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 03:03:15 pm »

I hate going to the polls.  The lines are long, its hot, people are sweaty and smell, there's the protesters, and the old people that can't figure out how the machines work.  So much easier to just mail it in.
Slacker420
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 03:05:37 pm »

I hate going to the polls.  The lines are long, its hot, people are sweaty and smell, there's the protesters, and the old people that can't figure out how the machines work.  So much easier to just mail it in.

I've been very fortunate. When I go to vote, the whole affair never takes longer than 5 minutes.

In fact, I honestly don't think I've ever had to stand in line to vote.

*Knock on wood*

Slacker420

“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.”
-- Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow
Dan

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 03:09:03 pm »

I've been very fortunate. When I go to vote, the whole affair never takes longer than 5 minutes.

In fact, I honestly don't think I've ever had to stand in line to vote.

*Knock on wood*

Slacker420

Not down here, the Florida GOP has made it as difficult as possible for people to vote thanks to all their redistricting.
drippinhun

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 03:11:03 pm »

My wife let's me fill out both of our absentee ballots. She's not into politics.
I hope you voted to legalize medical marijuana.  

Dan

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 03:18:11 pm »

My wife let's me fill out both of our absentee ballots. She's not into politics.
I hope you voted to legalize medical marijuana.  

I did.  I also voted for that .01 tax increase for the roads.
drippinhun

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 03:53:09 pm »

I did.  I also voted for that .01 tax increase for the roads.

Same here. I didn't vote for the tax relief for injured first responders or elderly.

everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 04:49:56 pm »

So do I.  I just wish it was more of an 'occasion' though.  Maybe a bar in the corner with a few sofas casually arranged, some soft music...

everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 04:51:41 pm »

What? Machines?  We get given bits of paper and we go to a plywood booth and use a stubby pencil to make a cross. 

Machines?  What on earth for?

Rasta

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 05:11:05 pm »

Well there you go. I've never stood in line, it's always nice and cool, our people are properly groomed, no protesters, and we export all of our old people to Florida.

drippinhun

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 05:15:16 pm »

Well there you go. I've never stood in line, it's always nice and cool, our people are properly groomed, no protesters, and we export all of our old people to Florida.

It's usually not the old people that are a problem. It's the rednecks.

Rasta

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 05:25:20 pm »

We don't have any of those.

drippinhun

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 07:05:41 pm »

We don't have any of those.

Your state isn't red. It's glowing crimson.

Biss

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 06:02:19 am »

Demographically, Boomers are a problem for everyone else. You will vote to enslave younger generations until you're gone.

Myky D

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 07:24:12 am »

Demographically, Boomers are a problem for everyone else. You will vote to enslave younger generations until you're gone.

Won't everyone?  I mean - protection of one's assests/DNA and someone caring to look after you in old age is why people have kids (Fancy dress-up aside).
Biss

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 07:32:41 am »

Won't everyone?  I mean - protection of one's assests/DNA and someone caring to look after you in old age is why people have kids (Fancy dress-up aside).

Yes, but there are too many of them. The flaw of democracy is nicely illustrated by the characterization "Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner." We have strong countermajoritarian checks against the worst possibilities of tyranny by the majority, but that doesn't stop Boomers from voting to fund their golf holidays and mobility scooters with my paychecks.

everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2016, 09:18:12 am »

Biss, how will you vote when you're retired?

Biss

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2016, 09:25:01 am »

Biss, how will you vote when you're retired?

Most people in my generation will probably not have a chance to retire. The concept of retirement will likely prove to be an anomaly of the mid-20th century, not to be repeated. I certainly am not planning on having the younger generation support me in my old age - my plans are based on the assumption that there will be exactly zero Social Security or other state-funded pension available.

If/when I manage to retire, it will be to a place like Indonesia or Colombia, and I won't bother voting in the US.

drippinhun

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2016, 11:05:51 am »

I hate when kids whine.

Rasta

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2016, 11:22:26 am »

Your state isn't red. It's glowing crimson.

Live on one of 2 blue specks.  I make the kids keep the windows rolled up when have to drive from here to Jackson.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: