The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 01:19:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
118196 Posts in 5526 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Aubrey
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  The Last Night of the Proms
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The Last Night of the Proms  (Read 749 times)
Mister Fantastic

« on: September 09, 2016, 12:54:04 pm »

You desperate sad losers.

You fucking lost, get over it. Grin

The Last Night of the Proms tomorrow will have a Finnish conductor and will, as always, feature not only British music but pieces by composers from around the world.

It is inevitable, therefore, that the annual concert should have descended into a row about Brexit.

Eurosceptic MPs who claim that the night is an “uplifting British event” have hit out at anti-Brexit campaigners who plan to flood the Royal Albert Hall with up to 5,000 EU flags. The BBC has said that there will be no attempt to remove flags (they will encourage Roll Eyes) from concertgoers, despite calls from Tory MPs for the BBC…

Dr Taj Hargey, Chairman, Muslim Education Centre Oxford :
No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 02:00:30 pm »

I don't usually bother to watch Last Night of the Proms.  Same old stuff every year. 

everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 04:39:24 pm »

So we didn't go out, I watched LNOTP, and I just sang a rousing version of Jerusalem.  Cheesy

Mister Fantastic

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 04:48:03 pm »

So we didn't go out, I watched LNOTP, and I just sang a rousing version of Jerusalem.  Cheesy

Just wiping my eyes. Embarrassed

It was fantastic. Smiley

It will be known as the Brexit Proms, a rousing performance of Rule Britannia. I particularly enjoyed watching the few idiots who tuned up with EU flags waving them joyously to this great song. Grin

Rule Britannia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SRDNxt0LsM
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:29:27 am by mister fantastic » Logged

No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 03:39:04 am »

Jerusalem really should be England's official anthem.

Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 04:15:06 am »

Why?

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 06:28:58 am »

Land Of Hope And Glory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmEyYSNtMFQ

Mister Fantastic

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 06:30:22 am »

Jerusalem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZDSGdzMqOI

Mister Fantastic

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 06:34:24 am »

everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 03:14:04 pm »

Why?

I'm talking about England's, rather than the UK's, btw.  But why not?  "England's green and pleasant land" and all that.

Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 02:29:08 am »

I'm talking about England's, rather than the UK's, btw.  But why not?  "England's green and pleasant land" and all that.

Very nice, but what the song says is "Till we have built Jerusalem, In England's green & pleasant Land". Yeah, right.

As for the rest . . .

And did those feet in ancient time,
Walk upon Englands mountains green:
And was the holy Lamb of God,
On Englands pleasant pastures seen!

No and no. Do we have any actual mountains?

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

No and no. Thank God.

Plus the dirge reminds me of the likes of Jenni Murray and Jill Archer. Mental torture. No thanks.

We'd be better off with something reflecting reality, such as It's a Long Way to Tipperary.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 06:44:33 am »

I like it.   Smiley

Jerusalem that is.

My old grandad used to sing 'It's a Long Way to Tipperary'.

Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 07:01:05 am »

I like it.   Smiley

Jerusalem that is.

My old grandad used to sing 'It's a Long Way to Tipperary'.

The Classic version . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsiR9cEeo1M

Mister Fantastic

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 03:59:43 pm »

Just wiping my eyes. Embarrassed

It was fantastic. Smiley

It will be known as the Brexit Proms, a rousing performance of Rule Britannia. I particularly enjoyed watching the few idiots who tuned up with EU flags waving them joyously to this great song. Grin

Rule Britannia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SRDNxt0LsM

I particularly enjoyed watching the few idiots who tuned up with EU flags waving them joyously to this great song

They are here again. animated laugh animated laugh animated laugh

I notice there are no EU flags at any of the other Prom venues only the Albert Hall. How sad are the BBC? Grin

Rule Britannia!

What Larks

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 04:25:40 pm »

Had I been there I would have tried to leave before Auld Lang Syne, because I can't abide the thought of someone each side of me pumping my arm up and down.  It looks almost as ridiculous as i always feel.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.”
― Dorothy Parker
Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 03:32:26 am »

I particularly enjoyed watching the few idiots who tuned up with EU flags waving them joyously to this great song.

Clever trick, that. One-handed tuning. Violists [sic], was it?

Snotty

Science Fiction rules,you know it makes sense

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 03:52:19 am »

Dr Who at the proms is rather splendid Cool

everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 03:54:07 am »

I didn't even know it was on.  We were out anyway, to a pub (The Orange Tree), just north of Romford (once Essex, now 'East London'   Angry)

Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 04:55:15 am »

I didn't even know it was on.  We were out anyway, to a pub (The Orange Tree), just north of Romford (once Essex, now 'East London'   Angry)

Do they sell Oranjeboom? You can guess what it means.

It used to be pretty good, though I hear the new trendy version is not worth the bother.

I remember Major Bloodnok telling me he got well pissed on it on a Dutch ferry long ago. I know the feeling.

everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 09:53:05 am »

Ah, I didn't know that. 

A pleasant evening was had by all.

Mister Fantastic

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2017, 02:55:39 pm »

So in a place where flags were forced upon people there were many.

And in the places where people made there own choices there were hardly any.

Noisy fucking minority..fuck em! Grin

Anti-Brexit activists claim they handed out around 7,000 free EU flags to ticket holders and musicians at the Royal Albert Hall in a carefully planned, crowdfunded campaign that angered the former Ukip leader and other leave supporters.
“I got chucked out of the Albert Hall three times last night for handing out flags inside,” said Clive Lewis, 60, a consultant engineer and one of the lead organisers of the Flags at the Proms campaign, which raised more than £4,000 from 250 members of the public. “I think we gave out about 7,000 flags to people going in and musicians.”

TV pictures from parallel concerts in Hyde Park, Glasgow, Enniskillen and Swansea, where there were no comparable EU flag campaigns, showed notably fewer EU flags.(I didn't see one)

Snotty

Science Fiction rules,you know it makes sense

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2017, 06:07:02 pm »

Let's have a game of thrones night at the proms Smiley

everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 06:23:40 am »

Very nice, but what the song says is "Till we have built Jerusalem, In England's green & pleasant Land". Yeah, right.

As for the rest . . .

And did those feet in ancient time,
Walk upon Englands mountains green:
And was the holy Lamb of God,
On Englands pleasant pastures seen!

No and no. Do we have any actual mountains?

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

No and no. Thank God.

Plus the dirge reminds me of the likes of Jenni Murray and Jill Archer. Mental torture. No thanks.

We'd be better off with something reflecting reality, such as It's a Long Way to Tipperary.

Just re-reading this, I have to say England does have mountains, although nothing compared to other European countries, in the Lake District. I believe they are considered mountains.

And what's wrong with Jenni Murray (apart from spelling her Christian name with an "I", and those silly reading glasses perched on the end of her nose), and 'Jill Archer'.  Is it their accents?

Riotgrrl

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 03:15:30 pm »

Just re-reading this, I have to say England does have mountains, although nothing compared to other European countries, in the Lake District. I believe they are considered mountains.

And what's wrong with Jenni Murray (apart from spelling her Christian name with an "I", and those silly reading glasses perched on the end of her nose), and 'Jill Archer'.  Is it their accents?

Trust me sweetheart, I wouldn't call those hills in the Lake District 'mountains', unless I hadn't seen a real one.
everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 04:45:24 am »

Trust me sweetheart, I wouldn't call those hills in the Lake District 'mountains', unless I hadn't seen a real one.

I did say "nothing compared to other European countries".  Sorry for England's inadequacy.  Sad

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: