The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 06:02:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
117888 Posts in 5580 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Aubrey
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Donald Trump is a vandal.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Donald Trump is a vandal.  (Read 1540 times)
Biss

« on: February 24, 2016, 10:17:38 am »

I am enjoying watching his antics very much. Substantively, it's hard to take seriously the chicken-littles who think he'd be the end of the world. Trump is by far the most moderate of all Republican contenders, and has no time for the Christer mob of angry obscurantists who want the Smiting Jesus to kill all the Muslims and Jews in Communist Amerika. I won't be voting for him, but there's no reason to get riled about him when it looks like his opponent will be a bowl of cold mashed potatoes named Hillary Clinton.

Rasta

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 10:51:10 am »

It'll be business as usual, regardless of who wins.

It'll be historic - we'll either have the first Jew, first Hispanic, first woman, or first billionaire POTUS.

I will be voting for Gary Johnson or writing in "Deez Nuts".

You gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get into that boy's soul
Biss

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 10:55:05 am »

I'm torn between Johnson and the creature in my avatar, the Zuzu Monster.

AnnieOakley
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 10:56:16 am »

You so hip/hep.  How do you do it?
 Grin

The dogs bark, the caravan passes.

You meet the same people on the way up as you do on the way down.
Biss

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 11:04:00 am »

You so hip/hep.  How do you do it?
 Grin

Drug abuse.

Mick
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 11:11:03 am »

I'll either vote Bernie or write in Bernie.   Either way, I'll be voting for Sanders.   He's so far and away the best candidate in my lifetime that I can't get my head around why anyone wouldn't want him.  
Rasta

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 11:13:26 am »

I'm torn between Johnson and the creature in my avatar, the Zuzu Monster.

I've been persuaded. I will also vote for the Zuzu Monster.

A grassroots revolution has been planted. 

Red Herring

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 11:35:58 am »

I watched Trump during a town hall debate before the Carolina result and kind of saw the appeal. His excessive confidence is strangely hypnotic - as if he actually believes what he's saying.

If, as president, he actually tries to do what he says he'll do then his presidency will be a disaster - but I suspect he either won't do it, or won't be able to do it.

Red
Slacker420
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 12:06:09 pm »

I'm thoroughly embarrassed that he's running and getting the attention he's getting. He does nothing for the electoral process. His childish behavior distracts everyone from the things that are important. This isn't an election, it's a freaking circus!

All he does is insult everyone he possibly can. He even insulted the very people who voted for him in Nevada, "I love the poorly educated".

He promotes violence by saying things like "I'd like to punch that protester in the face" and "I think protesters should be treated more roughly".

I have to give him one thing though, he's bringing voters out of the woodwork. We're seeing record turnouts at the Republican caucuses/primaries so he's doing something right. Only problem is that he's bringing out the freaking idiots. There's "Vote for Trump" signs all over my neighborhood. Even the neighbors I've known to be decent, intelligent people (my subdivision is heavily populated by the local university's professors) for decades are going for this clown Sad

I blame reality TV. People are treating this election like its all fun and games.

Dang, I hope Sanders has an ace under his sleeve.

Slacker420

“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.”
-- Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 12:17:57 pm »

This isn't an election, it's a freaking circus!

Bread and circuses, bread and circuses.

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 12:39:44 pm »

I blame reality TV. People are treating this election like its all fun and games.

Trump is like a Muppets' piss-take of a political speech, only less believable.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Mick
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 01:21:21 pm »

All he does is insult everyone he possibly can. He even insulted the very people who voted for him in Nevada, "I love the poorly educated".

He's right.  They are idiots and he knows it.  When was the last time you ever heard anyone say "I'm voting for Trump because ....", and the sentence ended with any kind of rational or remotely coherent political reason?   Never.  

I don't tend to normally agree with blanket statements when it comes to an electorate, but this one is true.  Almost all Trump supporters are stupid and hateful.

I read an interesting article about this, suggesting that the key factor in people who support him isn't race, religion, economic status, or even education level, but rather authoritarianism.  Check it out, it's pretty short.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/donald-trump-2016-authoritarian-213533

Dang, I hope Sanders has an ace under his sleeve.

Me too.  Unfortunately it appears that the Democratic establishment and their corporate/media backers are hell bent on running with Hillary.
AnnieOakley
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 01:56:19 pm »

The Pope don't work cuz the vandals took the candles.

The dogs bark, the caravan passes.

You meet the same people on the way up as you do on the way down.
Dan

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 01:57:04 pm »

I think Trump's hair should be its own candidate.
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 02:35:23 pm »

Hair is very important. You can tell a lot by hair.

drippinhun

The good old U.S. - living in a kakistocracy

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 03:14:29 pm »

It'll be business as usual, regardless of who wins.

It'll be historic - we'll either have the first Jew, first Hispanic, first woman, or first billionaire POTUS.

That trite cliche of it won't make any difference is a steaming hot pile of shite. There were enough people saying the same thing during Bush v. Gore.

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds the criticsms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." Herman Melville.

Trump drains swamp and installs open-air septic tank.
Rasta

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 03:28:49 pm »

That trite cliche of it won't make any difference is a steaming hot pile of shite. There were enough people saying the same thing during Bush v. Gore.

Not sure how this supports your point.

You have no idea how different a Gore Presidency would be from a Bush Presidency. For all we know, the country could have been worse off.

drippinhun

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 03:47:30 pm »

I just sent in my absentee ballot with Bernie chosen. I will vote in the general election for whoever the Democratic nominee is.

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds the criticsms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." Herman Melville.

Biss

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 04:15:00 pm »

I just sent in my absentee ballot with Bernie chosen. I will vote in the general election for whoever the Democratic nominee is.

That's why the DNC takes people for granted while lovingly fellating BigPharma et al.

Rasta

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 04:21:23 pm »

Honestly, I don't know how this can ever end well for the GOP.

I'm surrounded by very conservative people and I have yet to meet one that has anything but disdain for Donald Trump. Maybe I'm not surrounded by enough stupid people because he's obviously getting support from somewhere.

Mick
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 04:48:14 pm »

That's why the DNC takes people for granted while lovingly fellating BigPharma et al.

Yep.  It's the kind of attitude and voting strategy that pushes the party to the right and lets them know that all they have to do is put forward a candidate slightly better than the GOP to be entitled to our vote.   From a progressive's perspective, all it does is ensure the continuation of the plutocratic status quo.   All we'll get is more "moderate" corporate shills like Hillary, who the party's establishment clearly wants to go with, and nothing will change.
drippinhun

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 06:15:29 pm »

Yep.  It's the kind of attitude and voting strategy that pushes the party to the right and lets them know that all they have to do is put forward a candidate slightly better than the GOP to be entitled to our vote.   From a progressive's perspective, all it does is ensure the continuation of the plutocratic status quo.   All we'll get is more "moderate" corporate shills like Hillary, who the party's establishment clearly wants to go with, and nothing will change.

I will take the crumbs from Hillary rather than the royal fucking my children, grandchildren and even people of my age will get if the GOP takes over the White House. But one thing I have to give the Republican spinmeisters, they've been able to tarnish Hillary effectively by using simplistic and misleading character assassination that has been lapped up by the hoi polloi of both parties.

drippinhun

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 06:19:46 pm »

If Bernie became president BigPharma would continue to have their way. It's the way the system is rigged. And as long as people have food in their bellies, electronic distractions and a decent roof over their head, people are not going to risk those things to change the system.

Biss

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 07:02:06 pm »

But one thing I have to give the Republican spinmeisters, they've been able to tarnish Hillary effectively by using simplistic and misleading character assassination that has been lapped up by the hoi polloi of both parties.

Sometimes the Republicans are right. Hillary Clinton is a ruthless politician who would sell your children into slavery for her own advancement. She's far from unique that way, but criticism of a character like Clinton isn't necessarily wrong because it is mouthed by people with the wrong party affiliation.

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2016, 03:21:16 am »

The Pope don't work cuz the vandals took the candles.

I do hope you people turn yourselves around.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: