The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2018, 08:32:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
119305 Posts in 5709 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Dutch Rosie
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  UK accents
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: UK accents  (Read 4551 times)
Mick
« on: February 02, 2016, 02:15:49 pm »

Many of my American friends are surprised to learn how much accents can vary in the space of 50 miles in the UK.  The noticeable difference from Edinburgh to Glasgow, Manchester to Liverpool, or Hampshire to Somerset.  

I have decided that the most attractive accent on British women is working class South East.  Anything from really filthy Essex to something a little more refined, like Jayda.   The least attractive are Glasgow and Wales.

When it comes to men, however, Wales fares considerably better, with possibly only the Geordies making me want to join them for a pint more than the Welsh.

What are your favorite British accents?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:18:34 pm by Mick » Logged
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 02:40:37 pm »

Many of my American friends are surprised to learn how much accents can vary in the space of 50 miles in the UK.  The noticeable difference from Edinburgh to Glasgow, Manchester to Liverpool, or Hampshire to Somerset.  

I have decided that the most attractive accent on British women is working class South East.  Anything from really filthy Essex to something a little more refined, like Jayda.   The least attractive are Glasgow and Wales.

When it comes to men, however, Wales fares considerably better, with possibly only the Geordies making me want to join them for a pint more than the Welsh.

What are your favorite British accents?

No contest -- Scouse. Second only to Geordie. (Even RedArmy sounds good, and he's from the wrong side of the river.)

Next is west-coast Irish. Inverness is pretty good as well. And Harris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX98LGnvc1E

Mick is Jock Type-4, obviously.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Mick
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 02:54:09 pm »

No contest -- Scouse. Second only to Geordie. (Even RedArmy sounds good, and he's from the wrong side of the river.)

Not sure, he seemed to disappear from the board around the second week in December, for some completely unknown reason  Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX98LGnvc1E

Mick is Jock Type-4, obviously.

Like many well raised Edinburgers, I never had a very strong accent, and it's been diluted even more by 16 years in the US.   Some kind of transatlantic mongrel is 'wot I am.
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 03:03:13 pm »

What?  Filthy Essex?  Well, really!   Smiley. C'est moi.

I enjoy all our accents.  Except probably the newly formed inner city London accent that's a mixture of cockney and several immigrant accents.  That grates somewhat.

Worst of all is Mockney - posh buggers trying to sound working class by throwing in a few glottal stops.

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 03:14:51 pm »

Not sure, he seemed to disappear from the board around the second week in December, for some completely unknown reason  Grin

Keep your guard up. He's a Mackem (by nurture). I know Mackems.

Like many well raised Edinburgers, I never had a very strong accent, and it's been diluted even more by 16 years in the US.   Some kind of transatlantic mongrel is 'wot I am.

There's no answer to that. You'll've had your tea?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geYC07vU8fw

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Mick
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 03:47:16 pm »

Worst of all is Mockney - posh buggers trying to sound working class by throwing in a few glottal stops.

Yeah, I can understand that.   One of my favorite things is the polar opopsite of that.  Common as muck trying to sound proper by including artificial stops between carefully pronouced words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK2cBpdvU7U

I could listen to that all day.

*swoon*

vanceen

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 04:03:03 pm »

Accents are good things, but people do have strange attitudes about them.

There are accents that grate on me, but I realize it's not logical and I try not to let it prejudice me against people. Everybody has ways of pronouncing English phonemes that have been influenced by their parents and/or peers. It's all good. It's even good for a laugh sometimes.

The variety of accents in the UK was one of the things that I liked about living there.
Rasta

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 04:07:23 pm »

There's only on British accent and Dick Van Dyke nailed it.

You gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get into that boy's soul
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 04:36:51 pm »

It is funny, though, how accents change in just a few miles.  Less than an hour's drive north of where I live, and you're in Suffolk.  Different accent to Essex entirely (unless you're old Essex - elderly people born and bred in mid or north Essex are still 'countrified')

Mick
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 04:41:19 pm »

My favorite Essex type is the white high heels, Majorca tan, handbags on the dancefloor variety.  I think Jayda could have been that type if she had been born a decade or two earlier.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 03:09:16 am »

It is funny, though, how accents change in just a few miles.  Less than an hour's drive north of where I live, and you're in Suffolk.  Different accent to Essex entirely (unless you're old Essex - elderly people born and bred in mid or north Essex are still 'countrified')

See if you can identify this accent without cheating . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDRhBFJA08I

From about 1:15 onwards. Clue: it's not Alnwick.

(Great song in any case.)

everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 03:36:00 am »

See if you can identify this accent without cheating . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDRhBFJA08I

From about 1:15 onwards. Clue: it's not Alnwick.

(Great song in any case.)

No idea.  The 'r' sounds lead me to think of Lancashire, but because you mentioned Alnwick, is it somewhere else in Northumberland?

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 03:48:34 am »

No idea.  The 'r' sounds lead me to think of Lancashire, but because you mentioned Alnwick, is it somewhere else in Northumberland?

That was a red herring. Nowhere north of Ipswich.

everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 03:54:53 am »

Good lord!   Cheesy. I couldn't work out where he came from. 

Not Chelmsford surely?

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 04:00:55 am »

Good lord!   Cheesy. I couldn't work out where he came from. 

Not Chelmsford surely?

Wrong county. Further west.

Clue: Endeavour.

Myky D

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 06:11:45 am »

Accents are only for proletariat untermenschen.
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 07:12:18 am »

Wrong county. Further west.

Clue: Endeavour.

Oxfordshire?

Myky D

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 07:25:47 am »

There's only on British accent and Dick Van Dyke nailed it.

^ what she said ^

One of the amusing things about the British is that they think that doing an American accent is easy - it isn't. See plastic intellectual Stephen Fry for details.
Dangerous Beans

Woof

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 07:38:17 am »

I have to say that I hate the scouse accent, just something about it.
Myky D

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 07:49:00 am »

I have to say that I hate the scouse accent, just something about it.

It's probably something to do with them all being thieves and comedians.
TGK

Sex, Drugs and Sausage rolls.

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 08:13:11 am »

It is absolutely impossible to sound intelligent with a strong Brummie accent.

If Stephen Hawking had a 'brummie setting' on that box, no one would believe a word.
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 08:48:58 am »

Yet, I love to listen to Frank Skinner.  Love him.

TGK

Sex, Drugs and Sausage rolls.

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 09:14:28 am »

Yet, I love to listen to Frank Skinner.  Love him.

Wouldn't really call his accent strong.

Thinking more along the lines of the old joke, the punchline of which went something along the lines of...."have you come here to die?"....."now I gut 'ere yesturdie".
Myky D

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 09:24:42 am »

Bloody hell! TGK now too! Woohoo! How are you?!
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 09:42:31 am »

Oxfordshire?

Indeed. West Oxon. I had to look it up when I first heard the song. I thought it might be from further west, but no.

And yet it's nothing like Pam Ayre's accent, and she's from west of Oxford (Vale of the White Horse). Long live local accents.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: