The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 09:44:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
117889 Posts in 5581 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Aubrey
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  oh dear
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: oh dear  (Read 16966 times)
ben wedge

« on: December 01, 2014, 11:23:07 am »

The name Mohammed has become the most popular boys’ name in the UK, jumping 27 places to knock Oliver off the top spot.

Red will be rejoicing in our multiculturalism Grin

ben

Lone Ranger
Myky D

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 11:24:07 am »

Why "Oh dear"?
Rasta

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 12:13:34 pm »

The name Mohammed has become the most popular boys’ name in the UK, jumping 27 places to knock Oliver off the top spot.

No.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/aug/15/the-top-100-baby-names-in-england-and-wales-2013

Looks to me that the top 10 remains relatively unchanged from the past 1500 years.

You gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get into that boy's soul
Mr. Ed
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 12:19:22 pm »

ben
I demand a recount Angry
Suheil

A man from the east

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 12:27:51 pm »

I demand a recount Angry

It is not about money or votes Mr. Ed, it is about mighty Mo!

A Light Weaver
vanceen

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 12:37:53 pm »

ben

Got a source, Ben? Sounds quite unlikely.
Sarah Oh!

Josh Wong, a bloody hero

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 01:13:03 pm »

I've read this before.  You need to take all the variations of spelling - Mohamed, Mohammed, Muhamed, Muhammed, etc.
Sarah Oh!

Josh Wong, a bloody hero

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 01:33:29 pm »

But lest I mislead you, this article puts it straight.  It is not the most popular name.  Oliver is Smiley.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/dec/01/muhammad-not-most-popular-boys-name-in-britain
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 01:36:16 pm »

Heard on R4 yesterday . . . . .

¨Jesus loves you.¨

. . . Is not what one wants to hear in a Mexican prison.

. . . . . I´ll get me soap.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
ben wedge

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 02:03:48 pm »

But lest I mislead you, this article puts it straight.  It is not the most popular name.  Oliver is Smiley.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/dec/01/muhammad-not-most-popular-boys-name-in-britain

Oh come on.....

Oliver and Ollie (7,749) or Harry and Henry (9,136). Huh?Huh?

Harry and Henry are different names and Ollie is short for Oliver. I doubt that there are many poor weens officially named Ollie Wink

ben

Lone Ranger
Sarah Oh!

Josh Wong, a bloody hero

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 02:14:46 pm »

Oh come on.....

Oliver and Ollie (7,749) or Harry and Henry (9,136). Huh?Huh?

Harry and Henry are different names and Ollie is short for Oliver. I doubt that there are many poor weens officially named Ollie Wink

ben

It does rather seem the battle of two newspapers (The Mail and The Guardian), each with its own agenda!
ben wedge

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 02:21:18 pm »

Got a source, Ben? Sounds quite unlikely.

Plenty more available on Google but they all use the same initial source

Britain's Most Popular Boys' Name... Mohammed
Sky News‎ - 9 hours ago

Nur and Maryam join Muhammad in Britain's top baby names list while George falls five places
Daily Mail‎ - 20 hours ago

Muhammad becomes most popular name for UK newborn boys
ITV News‎ - 20 hours ago

All UK (and many foreign) papers are carrying the story which apparently originates from a survey by the baby centre UK, and some (not all) papers are now questioning it's validity

ben

Lone Ranger
ben wedge

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 02:22:16 pm »

It does rather seem the battle of two newspapers (The Mail and The Guardian), each with its own agenda!

The Guardian is blaming the Mirror Grin

ben

Lone Ranger
ben wedge

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 02:22:56 pm »

Why "Oh dear"?

Sorry. Should I have said 'Oh darling'? Kiss

ben

Lone Ranger
Myky D

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 02:37:39 pm »

Sorry. Should I have said 'Oh darling'? Kiss

ben

I'm just intrigued as to why you've expressed a negative sentiment regarding the matter.
ben wedge

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 03:02:56 pm »

I'm just intrigued as to why you've expressed a negative sentiment regarding the matter.

It makes me very afraid

I yearn for the good old days when boys were named Arbuthnot and Archibald Sad

ben

Lone Ranger
Fiskamon

Death Before Dishonor

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 03:47:47 pm »

Maybe it's an indication as to the approaching imbalance in UK population. From my little knothole, it seems you folks may have let your immigration get out of control and the immigrating foreigners are beginning to outnumber those born in the UK. Times they are a changing.   

Due to price increase on Ammo, Do not expect a warning shot.

Sorry, but times are hard
Myky D

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 04:43:52 pm »

The UK, like the US, was built by foreigners.
Red Herring

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 04:53:09 pm »

ben

Hello Ben,

Thank you for the completely unprovoked attack in a thread I haven't even contributed to. I'm not sure whether to be offended or flattered.

Anyway, since you're so happy to bring up my name, let's have a look at your name:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin

Benjamin was the last-born of Jacob's thirteen children (12 sons 1 daughter), and the second and last son of Rachel in Jewish, Christian and Islamic tradition. He was the progenitor of the Israelite Tribe of Benjamin. In the Biblical account, unlike Rachel's first son, Joseph, Benjamin was born in Canaan. In the Samaritan Pentateuch, Benjamin's name appears as "Binyaamem" (Hebrew: ࠁࠍࠉࠌࠉࠌ, "Son of my days"). In the Qur'an, Benjamin is referred to as righteous young child, who remained with Jacob when the older brothers plotted against Joseph.

You goddamned foreigner  Cheesy

Red
ben wedge

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 05:11:31 pm »

Hello Ben,

Thank you for the completely unprovoked attack in a thread I haven't even contributed to. I'm not sure whether to be offended or flattered.

Anyway, since you're so happy to bring up my name, let's have a look at your name:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin

Benjamin was the last-born of Jacob's thirteen children (12 sons 1 daughter), and the second and last son of Rachel in Jewish, Christian and Islamic tradition. He was the progenitor of the Israelite Tribe of Benjamin. In the Biblical account, unlike Rachel's first son, Joseph, Benjamin was born in Canaan. In the Samaritan Pentateuch, Benjamin's name appears as "Binyaamem" (Hebrew: ࠁࠍࠉࠌࠉࠌ, "Son of my days"). In the Qur'an, Benjamin is referred to as righteous young child, who remained with Jacob when the older brothers plotted against Joseph.

You goddamned foreigner  Cheesy

Red

Flattered of course.

Whyever should you be offended?

Incidentally it translates as 'son of my right hand' - which sounds a bit iffy to me form what I recall of my grammar school sex education lessons Embarrassed

benyamin

Lone Ranger
Red Herring

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 05:16:32 pm »

Whyever should you be offended?

Ben, I'm offended because you made stuff up about what I think.

Do you have a justification for that?

Red
Fiskamon

Death Before Dishonor

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 05:38:27 pm »

The UK, like the US, was built by foreigners.

Neither of my immigrant Grandparents who came to the USA, and I might add LEGALLY, ever tried to make America change it's laws to suit them. They never made my grandmothers dress in burkas, and then complain about not being able to cash a check, or get a drivers License because they can't identify the person. And during these modern days be part of a culture that still believes in Honor killings, beating wives, stoning, cutting hands and heads off people. Good luck Myky, I hope you're happy with what it looks like your going to get.

Due to price increase on Ammo, Do not expect a warning shot.

Sorry, but times are hard
Red Herring

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 06:36:18 pm »

Neither of my immigrant Grandparents who came to the USA, and I might add LEGALLY, ever tried to make America change it's laws to suit them. They never made my grandmothers dress in burkas, and then complain about not being able to cash a check, or get a drivers License because they can't identify the person. And during these modern days be part of a culture that still believes in Honor killings, beating wives, stoning, cutting hands and heads off people.

For fuck's sake Fisk.

Just because someone is called Mohammed doesn't mean they want to cut your head off  Roll Eyes

Red
ben wedge

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 07:28:43 pm »

Ben, I'm offended because you made stuff up about what I think.

Do you have a justification for that?

Red

So sorry.

Have you been rolling in the sand, you seem to have developed a thin skin Grin

I think that the comment that appears to have upset you is quite valid and justified in view of your oft stated views on immigration....or are you in denial that changes such as this are the inevitable consequence of unlimited immigration (although to be fair, I think it is already inevitable even if we close the gates now)

If I have misread your views and you are in fact in favour of limiting immigration then p[lese accept my aoplogies

ben
ben

Lone Ranger
Suheil

A man from the east

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 02:03:16 am »

It makes me very afraid

ben

Are you afraid of Karma uncle Colonial? Mohammed is only a name; afraid go to bed to make babies, on second thought you are too old to make Vikings names or babies!

A Light Weaver
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: