The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 19, 2017, 03:38:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
116815 Posts in 5419 Topics by 87 Members
Latest Member: Aubrey
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  World Cup 2014
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: World Cup 2014  (Read 10270 times)
Red Herring

« on: June 09, 2014, 07:14:21 am »

Just three days to go until kick off ....

So who is going to win? Everyone seems pretty sure It's going to be Brazil or Argentina - which seems a safe bet, if boring.

Red
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 07:40:04 am »

Just three days to go until kick off ....

So who is going to win? Everyone seems pretty sure It's going to be Brazil or Argentina - which seems a safe bet, if boring.

Red

Germany romped their qualification but have looked very second rate, and Reus is now knackered. Read an intersting article on whether Lowe should adopt a Pep or Klopp style as 7 players are bayern and 5 Dortmund.

But year, everything is pointing to Brazil or Argentina with a look out for Chile

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 07:56:25 am »

Holland, of course. Holland is always going to win. It's traditional. I was in NL for the last final, and I might just possibly be here for this one.

I won't put the Oranje shirt on until England is out, next week. Meanwhile the trusty Blue-Star Magpies shirt will serve, as long as Ajax thugs don't mistake it for Juventus.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10-metre diving board without checking there is any water in the pool." -- Paul Mason
Tactical Voting
Red Herring

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 08:00:05 am »

Holland, of course. Holland is always going to win. It's traditional. I was in NL for the last final, and I might just possibly be here for this one.

I won't put the Oranje shirt on until England is out, next week. Meanwhile the trusty Blue-Star Magpies shirt will serve, as long as Ajax thugs don't mistake it for Juventus.

I couldn't believe it when I saw that Spain's first game is against the Netherlands - cruel and unusual punishment for both sides.

Red
Rasta

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 09:59:03 am »

This is the year for the US to take it all.

I'm so confident, I've wagered my retirement funds as well as the kid's college monies.

I wouldn't know what to do without work, anyway and the kids are all too stupid for advanced studies.

You gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get into that boy's soul
Red Herring

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 10:14:41 am »

I'm so confident, I've wagered my retirement funds as well as the kid's college monies.

I wouldn't know what to do without work, anyway and the kids are all too stupid for advanced studies.

I hope you're right. That would be a major slap in the face for Latin America Cheesy

Red
Myky D

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 10:18:59 am »

I hope you're right. That would be a major slap in the face for Latin America Cheesy

Red

What - if Rasta pissed all his money up the wall on a bet?

Yer - that would sort out their second and tertiary-world status, wouldn't it.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 10:19:24 am »

I think the merkins will do OK but their back 4 is a bit wafty.

I know this I see one of them on a regular basis for me team Hertha

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
everso
Administrator

MISSING: ONE CAT, NAME OF MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 11:52:48 am »

Well, I think it's all a bloody waste of time, but what do I know?

I shall be supporting:

(1) England, until they get knocked out

(2) Germany, then if/when they get knocked out

(3) the USA, if they haven't already been knocked out.

But frankly, I couldn't give a monkey's.

Cool

drippinhun

The good old U.S. - living in a kakistocracy

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 12:03:27 pm »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/09/john-oliver-fifa_n_5473346.html

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds the criticsms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." Herman Melville.

Trump drains swamp and installs open-air septic tank.
Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 03:57:19 pm »

Holland's back! In the old Dutch style.

They completely wiped the floor with Spain, 5-1, and it should have been 8-1 at least.

And I just watched it in Holland, with a Dutch crowd. Tjongejongejongejonge! It doesn't get much better.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10-metre diving board without checking there is any water in the pool." -- Paul Mason
Tactical Voting
owensleftfoot

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 05:12:03 pm »

Holland's back! In the old Dutch style.

They completely wiped the floor with Spain, 5-1, and it should have been 8-1 at least.

And I just watched it in Holland, with a Dutch crowd. Tjongejongejongejonge! It doesn't get much better.

You could have watched it in Brasil  Wink

Gone fishin.
Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 05:14:18 am »

You could have watched it in Brasil  Wink

1. I have appointments in Amsterdam.

2. The Harwich ferry doesn't go to Brazil.

3. I prefer Dutch beer.

Tactical Voting
everso
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 05:42:37 am »

If England, Germany and the USA get trounced, I'll be supporting Holland.  Smiley

But I have to admit I'm a bit "meh" about it all. 

I heard on the radio this morning that people were having a job getting to Manaus for the England match.  Isn't it pretty much in the middle of the Amazon jungle?   Roll Eyes

Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 05:53:28 am »

If England, Germany and the USA get trounced, I'll be supporting Holland.  Smiley

But I have to admit I'm a bit "meh" about it all. 

I heard on the radio this morning that people were having a job getting to Manaus for the England match.  Isn't it pretty much in the middle of the Amazon jungle?   Roll Eyes

Indeed. And 3.1° South of the Equator. What fun.

I'm fully engaged now, but I won't put my 2010 Oranje teeshirt on until England's out.

Mrs YI's in Sardinia for a couple of weeks. England versus Italy this evening.

Tactical Voting
everso
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 07:24:49 am »

Indeed. And 3.1° South of the Equator. What fun.

I'm fully engaged now, but I won't put my 2010 Oranje teeshirt on until England's out.

Mrs YI's in Sardinia for a couple of weeks. England versus Italy this evening.

Oh, is it?  I shall be a bit sad if Italy doesn't win, having just been to that lovely country.

I just can't make up my mind.

drippinhun

The good old U.S. - living in a kakistocracy

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 06:41:15 am »

England - brown bread

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds the criticsms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." Herman Melville.

Trump drains swamp and installs open-air septic tank.
everso
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 08:06:48 am »

England - brown bread

Oh-oh....

Slacker420
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 08:56:34 am »

Nah, the US won't win. Even the US team's coach,  Jurgen Klinsmann, says the US won't win.

Now when your coach says you won't win or you can't win then the team won't put forth the effort to win. I mean, if your own coach doesn't have confidence in you, then what's the point of trying?

Personally, I hope they don't win. I don't want soccer taking any more foothold in the US. American football is where it's at Smiley

By the way, why does the US team even have a German coach? Wouldn't a US win be credited more to the Germans than to the Americans?

Slacker420

“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.”
-- Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow
Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 01:12:47 pm »

Oh-oh....

And yet England played better in that one match than in the whole of the 2010 fiasco.

Still -- my €'s on the Netherlands.

Now where is that Oranje shirt . . . . .

Tactical Voting
Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 01:17:03 pm »

Nah, the US won't win. Even the US team's coach,  Jurgen Klinsmann, says the US won't win.

Now when your coach says you won't win or you can't win then the team won't put forth the effort to win. I mean, if your own coach doesn't have confidence in you, then what's the point of trying?

Personally, I hope they don't win. I don't want soccer taking any more foothold in the US. American football is where it's at Smiley

By the way, why does the US team even have a German coach? Wouldn't a US win be credited more to the Germans than to the Americans?

Slacker420

It's obviously all a fiendish European plot to keep the US out of Real Football.

Tactical Voting
everso
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 02:23:22 pm »

Slacker420

I used to have a bit of a crush on him years ago.  Not that I'm a footie fan.  Smiley

Rush Fan

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 05:38:07 pm »

I used to have a bit of a crush on him years ago.  Not that I'm a footie fan.  Smiley

Heard the French won. Pretty impressive---the frenchies running up and down that long ass field chain-smoking and wine glass in the other hand. Such multi-taskers!
Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 05:51:46 am »

Heard the French won. Pretty impressive---the frenchies running up and down that long ass field chain-smoking and wine glass in the other hand. Such multi-taskers!

Indeed. You're such a cosmopolitan anthropologist. Did you see the Dutch trouncing Spain the other day, while wearing wooden clogs and rolling giant spliffs?

The US could master the game if only some of you weren't always hobbling backwards on the right wing ranting balls in all directions.

At least Dubya tried dribbling.

Tactical Voting
Rasta

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 10:08:29 am »

I think that soccer is the most popular youth sport in the US. And our women's team have wont he WC a couple of times. But, it certainly doesn't have a chance in hell in usurping the NFL in popularity - not in our lifetimes, at least. Not as long it mostly remains a sport for women and children.  Wink

God help the lot of them if our top athletes took up soccer. 

Flame on.  popcorn

You gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get into that boy's soul
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: